Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tidying up a Mark IV Golf 1.4

Options
  • 05-09-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've just picked up a pretty clean Mk IV 1999 Golf 1.4 with 87,500 miles on the clock.

I have read a lot about the 1.4s suffering from piston slap (or something) and eventually needing a new engine block to properly rectify the problem.

Can anyone give me a reasonably definitive explanation of a) how I can tell when this will be necessary, and b) the best way to get the parts needed at a decent price?

I would like to tidy up a little of the interior and change the modified alloys and rear lights back to the originals, is there an owners group or Moded Cars group where I could swap parts with someone?

I'd really appreciate any help on this as I like the car, she's cheap as chips to run and I'd like to get a couple of years out of her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Register here http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php

Loads of info on your car there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

The seam to eat oil so dont worry about it if it does, how much did you pay for it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭qmac

I'm not too bothered about the oil - I was used to that with my 1996 BMW 520.

I bought the Golf for 2,600, which seemed to be the best price around for the year and mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, if the lights are gti lights, i'd swap ya a set of origionals.

Vagdrivers is the place if your looking for parts, advice etc. etc.

Post up a few pics of it. That's a good price for a 99, seems a bit too cheap haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try eBay or a scrap yard for the OEM lights and wheels.

I would also try selling the halford bits up on eBay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement