Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Backdated Motor tax.

Options
  • 05-09-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

My Friend is selling a car atm but it hasnt been taxed for 3 months and he never declared it off road, Is it possible for the new buyer to not get cought for the 3 months back dated tax?

EDIT did a search and found the answer. Mod you can delete this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Your friend probably should pay the tax the make it more of a deal when selling, however, when the next person buy's it they can just fill in a form and get a Garda to stamp(shouldnt be a problem) it to declare it "off the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yup, they just have to declare it off the road through a garda station and then bring the form to the tax office whenever they want to tax it again. You're friend would be better off selling it as "taxed", waiting till he has a buyer and doing it himself though as cars sell easier if they are taxed/nct'd and if it wasn't you may get some sceptical buyers thinking they'll have to pay x amount of tax because it could have been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Well the backdated tax is actually worth more than he is selling the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

he wouldn't have to pay for that though, just declare it off the road and just buy 3 months tax and sell it as taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Just sell it the backtax doesnt pass on to the new owner

• Advertisement

Thats Def? As you has already agreed to sell it but doesnt want the new owner to get cought.

peterk19 wrote: »
    Just sell it the backtax doesnt pass on to the new owner

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Thats Def? As you has already agreed to sell it but doesnt want the new owner to get cought.

Definitily, I did the same in march on my new Car, And i didnt have to pay for it.

Thats grand so. Thank for the Replies.
    maceocc2 wrote: »
    Definitily, I did the same in march on my new Car, And i didnt have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Thats grand so. Thank for the Replies.

what the hell?i had to pay for the 1 month backdate when i got the car, because damn stupid shannon returned my owner info 5 weeks after i bought it so only then could i get it taxed..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A lot of misinformation in this thread. The new owner has to pay tax from the first day of the month that he / she became the owner

It doesn't matter how long the car was out of tax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Those thinking of not back taxing their cars should think twice if they are currently using the Westlink plasa.

Advertisement