Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to extend wireless signal

Options
  • 05-09-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

hi im looking to expand my signal 150 m to my shed, does anyone know of any device i can do this with wirelessly and will i lose signal strenght? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In the same boat. Got an aironet, but still figuring out how to use it (used it in college). Depending on your wireless box, some allow you to plug in better antennas/aerials.

Or you can make your own antenna. Look here for examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Look for a point to point access point using external arials..

Dlink ANT70-100 €120 + Vat estimate

DWL2100AP €130+Vat estimate

Look these up on D-link, they might suit..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

Hi,

Have you power points running in the shed?? As there is probably an easier solution if you do and way more reliable and more secure than wireless and easy to setup !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

have power points, but not from the house, shed has its own supply..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

I am using a certain type of homeplug which send the signal through the power supply in the house. Works a charm ,. My house has very thick walls and is on three floors and wirelss wasn't reliable as i stream hd movies and wirelss cannot handle the lack of bandwidth and weak signal.

These were 200Mbps homplusg and work exactly like a lan.Can't believe how good they are, no need to run log cables or have a repeater router or some sort of aerial and im now running a constant 100Mbps as the router only has a nic of Mbps

These only work together the one home circuit, if your shed is on anotehr circuit they won't see each other.One way to know for sure is if you have a tripswitch in your house for teh shed, which sounds liek you don't!!
    Worth checking it out !! at €140 for two 200mbps . Especially if you're streaming any media , or online gaming .

BTW I'm not affialitated with any company ,,, just spreading the word of good technology that's not widely used as yet, they are available in soem stores but are rip-off prices.
    If you search properly you can good a good price, but make sure you dont get a homeplug that takes up two sockets.!!
    Hope this gives you another option.
    Worth looking into.
    If you need more ifo just ask....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

cheers for that but checked the shed it has its own supply seperate from the house

Advertisement