Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A job working with dogs? Training?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Anyone got any ideas of good jobs working with dogs? I was thinking of trying to learn dog grooming and starting up a business part time - however my worry is that when this recession really kicks in people wont be spending as much on their dogs.

I just really really luv dogs and wnat to work with them all the time (well on a part time basis in order to ensure I have enuf to survive)

Anyone any suggestions????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Look for a job in a kennels/ volunteer with a rescue.
    It will give a fair idea of the reality of working with dogs.
    Grooming courses can be very expensive as I'm sure all the equipment, insurance, presmises are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Have a look at taking up an Animal Psychology course or maybe volunteer as a puppy walker for Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Check out the October edition of Dogs Today magazine, which is out now and available in Easons. There's a pretty comprehensive listing of all the long distance learning courses available to you. :)

Also have check out Alison Bush of Happier Hounds Dog Training in Abbeyleix, Co Laois. Telephone 087 7749521, email happierhoundsdogtraining@topmail.ie

She is starting a distance learning course in dog behaviour and dog training, with some practical modules included. The course is accredited by the UK Open College Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

thanks a million for all the ideas i m defo going to get that magazine! sadly i live in galway so cant volunteer for the Irish guide dogs for the blind - checked on their website before and everything seems to be in cork or dublin??

the long distance courses will definately be something that I am interested in however I am going to look into it.

Any other suggestions keep them coming.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobbytwo

They have just started a puppy walking programme in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Another option if you wanted to gain experience working with animals would be to try Galway SPCA.

As for dog grooming, in St John's Central college in Cork (if you were willing to travel), there is an Animal Care course. In the second year you get to choose between Vet. nursing, grooming and animal management. If I remember correctly, as part of grooming in the second year you do dog training and ring craft. Alison Bush, mention above, is the course coordinator and teaches the training side in 2nd year of grooming aswell as other subjects in the 1st and 2nd year of the course.

Advertisement