Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miami Ink

Options
  • 05-09-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Anyone a fan of this show? I've been watching it on DMAX since I got Sky plus recently, and I like it. It got me excited about getting tattoos again. I've gotten a few tips and do's and don'ts from watching it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Personally not a fan, watched about half a show and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

go in with a tattoo you've wanted ages, leave with the tattoo they want to do. No thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

go in with a tattoo you've wanted ages, leave with the tattoo they want to do. No thank you!!

You think? They do draw them out and everything so the person has a chance to say no! And they do generally seem pretty happy with them at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They do seem to change the tattoos to suit them, but they are good artists and it'd be pretty harsh to say otherwise.

Has anyone else heard anything about there being a Dublin ink?

I remember hearing something about it a while ago, thought it sounded cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Is it just me or does Ami (sp?) from Miami Ink do some sucky tats? LA Ink has more talent in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

LA Ink has talent, I love Hannah and Kim's work but it's just so contrived and celebrity-centric. Blech. I want to look at people getting tattooed, not watch Kat stuffing her bra with chicken fillets :(

Gauge wrote: »
    Kat

Nuff said:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'll take Pixie over Kat any day of the week...

pixieaciaao7.th.jpg

:o

Her dimples are amazing!!

But tbh i like pretty much all the girls.
    Can you blame me? I'm a 17 year old boy like...:D

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard anything about there being a Dublin ink?

I remember hearing something about it a while ago, thought it sounded cool.

Quoting myself... how sad.
    anyway

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055252104
    Knew i heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'll take Pixie over Kat any day of the week...

pixieaciaao7.th.jpg

:o

i'd take them both...............every day of the week..

i knew i should of called her back...shut up nobody here can prove i weren't with her!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Lawl! I think Kat is an awesome artist, but does come across as quite.... stuck up maybe? I dunno. I feel those shows kinda make people who aren't familar with the inking world more intimidated perhaps?

hmmm ok guys hands up...who here's intimidated by this...
    kat_von_d_tattoo_2.jpg
    Even if your weren't familiar with the scene you can't deny she is good looking

Ok. She's hot. But I've seen episodes where she's just a cow to other tattoo artists! No need to be like that when you've got talent.

I dont really watch it, only seen a few episodes of her show when i was to lazy to find the remote so ill agree with you...Yes...I agree:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I really love this show and LA Ink too, but there are sub stories in that about their love lives etc. Boring. And its too human interesty.

Ami's tattoos don't get as much screen time as the others but I think he's good. I know that it seems they change tatts to suit themselves but they do listen to their customers and improve on an idea/sketch that could look really stupid. They do know best afterall.

New season on Real Time. Woo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Obviously they've done so many tattoos that they know if something is not going to work, so they will make those suggestions.

I saw LA Ink for the first time the other night, and I couldn't bear it. You're right, its not about the tattoos, it more like the Hills set in a tattoo shop or something, I don't really care about their personal lives! Miami Ink touches on personal lives a bit, but that's ok as they seem to be just ordinary blokes rather than celebrity wannabes, which Kat seems to be. The Miami dudes were slagging her off in one episode, saying she was weird and an asshole etc!

I dunno. In some ways I agree with the show and I enjoy it. It does bring ink to the mainstream, and maybe helps with ink being more and more acceptable in society. In a way what they are doing, is helping, but in some ways could be damaging? Discuss..

Oh leaving cert paper right there!!

• Advertisement

It's beneficial because with it in the public eye it will become more socially acceptable, less taboo and will develop more as an art form.
    The downside, ego's, done by 21 crew (full body coverage at a v young age), it will become more stylised therefore people will try out do each other.
    With the advent of modblog this is already happening, without BME meaning to. They show the more extreme things because it will get people talking and more coverage for them. However, the other side is that people will rush out and get mad sh!t done without thinking it over properly. e.g 50mm labret, scalpelled procedures and the more extreme side of things is getting more and more popular at a younger age too. Seen a girl on IAM who is 19 with a 20mm labret.

there's pros and cons obviously, still in it's teething stage and will settle over a few years, just in a boom at the moment.

Will wrote: »
    just in a boom at the moment.

Just like everything else, and i agree with everything else you said too.
    I'm tired so im just going to be a sheep on this one... for now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's beneficial because with it in the public eye it will become more socially acceptable, less taboo and will develop more as an art form.

This really only relates to Ireland because after spending a summer in Canada and the US I can honestly say that it is already seen as an art form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

The downside, ego's, done by 21 crew (full body coverage at a v young age), it will become more stylised therefore people will try out do each other.
    With the advent of modblog this is already happening, without BME meaning to. They show the more extreme things because it will get people talking and more coverage for them. However, the other side is that people will rush out and get mad sh!t done without thinking it over properly. e.g 50mm labret, scalpelled procedures and the more extreme side of things is getting more and more popular at a younger age too. Seen a girl on IAM who is 19 with a 20mm labret.

This is why modblog/iam has gone downhill people have too many rules as to what you should stretch/ shouldn't stretch and at what age you should do it. ****ing ridiculous people have the right to make their own decisions about their own bodies without some group with a sense of moral superiority when it comes to body modification telling them what they should or shouldn't do. I've got pretty heavy coverage for someone of my age but there are many people with much heavier and that's their choice. If you want to get a scalpeled 50mm labret go for it, if you're willing to live with the consequences as you're the only one who'll have to not the bunch of 70 year olds waiting to grow into their helix piercing, people limiting/overdoing their modifications to fit in with the opinions of one of the two points of view on bme is very much to the detriment of the body modification scene.

Common sense comes into play, I agree it's our body and we can do what we like to it. If you are willing to live the consequences, awesome go for it. However, we know that doesn't always happen and people don't think it through.

Moral superiority? So the acres of 'old timers' on BME/IAM are wrong when they see issue with a young person stretching their labret to monstrous proportions at 19 years of age?

There's a huge surge of young people getting heavy modifications (subdermals,transdermals,splits), I don't think it's a moral superioirity, it's more concern. It may come off as moral superiority to some who feel offended or threatened by it, me I see it as concern.

There are those who are gonna go ahead and do as they please anyway regardless of what anyone says, the only problem they will have is finding someone to do the procedure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

There is a contingent on bme that believe everyone should follow their example when it comes to how they choose to modify their bodies and to me they come across as holier then thou. If a 19 year old has a scalpelled 50mm labret it should be nobodies concearn but their own. Also I doubt many are going to be threatened by others who feel they shouldn't go ahead with certain piercings/procedures if you can cope with walking down the street with the stares and shocked expression somebody on the internets "concearn" is unlikely to phase you that much.

Ya know, there's an excellent example of this in modify when Masumi Max talks about her earlier mods. Like how she got her widows peak ink on her forehead when she was 19, i think? She had to have that lazered off, and she fully believes that it was mutilation as she had not fully thought it through. It all really depends on who you are, and your mental capacity to make these decisions. I tend to rush myself into things, and I have done before which has led to some huge mistakes on my part before. But you learn. I did.

Basically what she and allen falkner said in the film is that it was detrimental to her life and impeded her, therefore it was more mutilation than art.
    I agree, when piercings or ink interfere with your life on a negative note then it's time to re-anaylse and ask yourself why.

So far, the worst I've ever gotten is people coming up and touching my lobes, general curiosity it seems gets the better of people and personal space goes out the window, along with manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I'm quite a fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Kat
    NOM NOM NOM NOM

She's in the new Alkaline Trio video oddly.

Advertisement