Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to extend my broadband..

Options
  • 05-09-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

hi i need to extend my broadband 150m from one house to another to play my xbox just wonderin what i need to get and where can i get it, i have an eircom netopia router. Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

If you have a clear line of sight between both then some form of cheap 802.11n bridge might just do it for you.

D-link and netgear (and others) make them.

You can also add on a high gain antenna if needed.

All cheap as chips - Maplin, Komplett etc should be able to sort you out.

Stuff like http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&cid=1134692497433

150m is a little bit long though so ask if you can try it out and return if it does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Is it in door or out door? You could look at ~75M CAT 6 cable a cheap switch and another ~75 M cat 6. That could end up cheaper (though slightly messier) than a wireless option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Is it in door or out door? You could look at ~75M CAT 6 cable a cheap switch and another ~75 M cat 6. That could end up cheaper (though slightly messier) than a wireless option.

I take it from your description that you intended placing the switch somewhere in the middle, between houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

its outdoor from one house to another but clear line of sight i think its closer to 110 meters, its across a road to think cable is out of the question..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

If you have clear line of sight then a GOOD 802.11 router should do it - maybe with the addition of a high gain antenna...again Maplin or Komplett and make sure you can return it if no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    its outdoor from one house to another but clear line of sight i think its closer to 110 meters, its across a road to think cable is out of the question..

In practice, the max length of CAT6 would be about 90m anyhow so that's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

carbsy wrote: »
    In practice, the max length of CAT6 would be about 90m anyhow so that's out.

Not with a switch in the middle but if it's outdoor that's out.

You could also look at shielded cable which will go up to 300m I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

you need:
    1. A phoneline in the other house
    2. To sign up for broadband at the other house
    lol, i mean cmon, its 150metres away( longer than the length of Croke park pitch lol ) AND across a road AND on top you want low pings and consistency for gaming???? the moon on a stick springs to mind

ha thanks it actually only 63 meters just measured it, and im already payin for landline and broadband in other house!

hi guys thanks for the help finally got it sorted changed my router for netgear range max next router, have full signal 100 meters away and faster lan speed than i had on the netopia. Its great for the xbox, no lag couldn't believe it, great router when i finally got it set up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement