Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a 3d image stack for presentation

Options
  • 05-09-2008 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi again!

Im looking to make a 3d stack of images something similar to the example below, but something that can be animated, perhaps in a similar way to the new ipods: the way you flip through the music library, then when you pick one, it pops to front and then you can go back to a 3d scroll.

Is there any freeware software to do something like this and render it as a movie file or something that I can import into a powerpoint and have some control over the way it animates?

I want to scroll through the history of research in my particular field, and I was hoping to have a stack of images of the front page of various journals publishing research on my topic which I can scroll through while talking, am I making any sense?

Thanks!

2830910236_d92223bd53_o.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about free software. If you're using Powerpoint you may be at least be able to mimic the effect using the transiton effects. You could also use Movie Maker to make a small movie for each transition between Journal cover and integrate that into your Presentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Hi thanks

Powerpoint wont achieve the effect though Im certain.

Im tryin to get the switch between images similar to the way you can switch between applications in 3d in Vista with the aero interface, making sense?

Oh yeah I get the idea, but outside of Flash or After Effects I'm wondering how you can do it with free software. There are free trials available tho.

Are there any open source alternatives to those applications?

Similar to GIMP etc

I know of a free swf editor that is all syntax based but that would be a royal pain and the name of it escapes me :o.

• Advertisement

Just came across something called Jahshaka which is supposed to be an open source version of Adobe After Effects.

Before I spend a week or 2 trying to figure it out, is this something that might achieve what I am looking for?

It does look similar alright, but remember this will only give you a video whereas you want interactive control.

EDIT: here is a quick (and rough) attempt in powerpoint.
    Bacisally by layering images in new slides you can duplicate the effect for lots of images.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You could try making an animated .gif.

And how do i animate gif files

Advertisement