Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which MBA should I choose amongst these?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,
    I work full time 9-5:30 and have a busy schedule at work. I want to do my MBA and have been accepted at a couple of placed:
    1)Griffith College: 3 evenings a week
    2) University of Wales(distance learning MBA www.rdi.co.uk)

I would like to find out which one would be more valuable. The University of Wales online DL MBA is obviously the easier option and its much cheaper as well.Given my busy schedule this might be the option to take if I want to do it in my own time.
    However would I be wasting cash here? Would I be better off going to Griffith even though I will be a bit hard pushed doing it and keeping the balance between the MBA,work and social life.

Would appreciate your opinions on which option to go for...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Personally I would only do an expensive MBA from a prestigious University. If I had to do an MBA in Ireland it would have to be either Trinity or UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

checkout:

http://http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings

Checkout the rankings of the MBAs ....... Do a search on UCD ... Smurfit...... for distance learning... Manchester Business School.....

You have to weigh up things like... will my employer pay for it/or give any financial assistance.... will your employer be willing to give you days off to go (some MBAs require you on Fridays for example, I think Smurfit used to do some Thursday afternoons/all day Friday)... If you choose to go the long-distance route... will you be disciplined enough to do it yourself/set and follow your own timetables... ....

I haven't done it myself (I feel like I have tho' !:rolleyes:)... but my partner has .... Its a long road.... Hope the website has helped a little bit...Best of luck....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

The fact that you are rating your MBA in terms of how cheap and easy it will be suggests you really dont know or have the wrong idea of what is involved in achieving an MBA.

Ive never heard of either of these business schools- though the obvious would be which one has the best reputation/accreditation. If you want an MBA that will actually have an impact on your life and career I suggest you seek out a reputable business school. I wouldnt touch a school that doesnt ask for GMAT as a minimum entry requirement.

I assume you are looking to get into an executive position and I can tell you that where you get your MBA is of extreme importance. There is a common myth that an employer will just look at your CV and see "MBA" and that will be enough but that is untrue- it may be true for undergrad degree's but as far as MBA's are concerned employers will check it out. So in the long run it may be cheaper to go to a reputable school ironically. As somebody has already said I believe Trinity and Smurfit are the 2 leading business schools in Ireland.

The MBA is a serious qualification and you will be rubbing shoulders with people who have also done an MBA if you get into senior management- having a "cheap and easy" MBA will go against you

Advertisement