Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which network for a txter

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i assure you i could describe in quite a lot of detail how each of the involved technologies work. i was joking when i said edge is 3g, it's 2.75g. but there are those that call it 3g, for example the link that jmc gave.

let's look at the average nationwide speed of the network:

3 covers 85% of the population with their masts, which could be estimated at about 60% of the nation covered by area.

so they have 60% at 384kbps and 40% at 0kbps. this means an average countrywide speed of 230.4 kpbs

i don't know meteor's exact coverage map but let's say they cover 20% of the population and about 10% of the area

so they have 10% at 384kbps and 90% at 236kbps. this means an average countrywide speed of 250.8 kpbs.

so even if meteor only cover 10% of the country with 3g, their average network speed is still faster than 3's

Population coverage isn't the only story ... IIRC a recent press release said that 3 were increasing the number of sites from 700 to 770 which seems pretty low and suggests that their network is pretty thin on the ground (more people sharing the same resource ... which would explain the poor data rates achieved on their network).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

so even if meteor only cover 10% of the country with 3g, their average network speed is still faster than 3's

what did you tell me about working the numbers to appear in 3's favour:rolleyes:

There's only one thing for me to do and that's actually test Meteor for myself......I'm going to get myself a free sim, stick in €5 credit, hook up to my mobile poker account and see how it goes....If it's a pile of ****e and I can't even play, you'll be the first to know....
    If it works well and I win a pile of cash, I might eat a sock or 2.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i've been streaming tv with it from my slingbox so it's pretty good

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

There's only one thing for me to do and that's actually test Meteor for myself......
    Finally \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Right the test unit is a Sony C902, what metero setting should I be putting in, it's currently set up for you know who....(the test is aces royal poker, so data will be flowing both ways quickly)

Do I need to call metero to activate anything, I'm using a brand new pay as you go sim.....

Won't be able to try it until this evening.....

Right the test unit is a Sony C902, what metero setting should I be putting in, it's currently set up for you know who....(the test is aces royal poker, so data will be flowing both ways quickly)

Do I need to call metero to activate anything, I'm using a brand new pay as you go sim.....

Won't be able to try it until this evening.....

you need the meteor data settings which you can get at www.powermyphone.com. You don't need to activate anything

but you can't access the 3g network because only the people who were on the trial have been provisioned so it's not really a fair comparison

if you're trying to compare edge to 3g, make sure you have full edge coverage. No network's going to give you good performance with low coverage

if you're trying to compare edge to 3g, make sure you have full edge coverage. No network's going to give you good performance with low coverage

Here hold on a minute, did you not say earlier that there's not much difference between edge and 3G, In fact meteor edge is on average quicker than 3's 3G network is what you said.....

I'll be testing what ever metero signal I have versus 3's HSDPA, i'm not in a very populated area and the mast is less than 1Km away with full line of sight....so I would expect the metero signal to be full edge...

It all boils down to the poker test, if you can strem live TV over edge there's no reason I can't play poker....

Here hold on a minute, did you not say earlier that there's not much difference between edge and 3G,
    no there isn't much of a difference but there is a small difference. for something like poker i doubt you'll notice any difference. i barely notice any with the tv

In fact meteor edge is on average quicker than 3's 3G network is what you said.....
    in fact that's not what i said. i said that when you look at the national average speed of both networks, meteor's is higher when you take in account the fact that 3 don't have any data coverage in about 40% of the country. i never said that edge is faster than 3g.

I'll be testing what ever metero signal I have versus 3's HSDPA, i'm not in a very populated area and the mast is less than 1Km away with full line of sight....so I would expect the metero signal to be full edge...
    now that is definitely not a fair comparison. i said that there wasn't much of a difference between edge (236kbps) and 3g (384 kbps). i never said anything about hsdpa which is obviously going to be faster (3.6 mbps). i didn't include hsdpa in my calculations because hsdpa phones are still very rare in comparison to 3g phones

edit: and when you say "I'll be testing what ever metero signal I have", i could go to the 40% of the country where 3 have no coverage to compare it to meteor's edge and find that meteor's coverage is infinitely faster because nothing would work on 3. it's not fair to compare speeds in one specific place and make a judgement about the whole network based on it. you could well be in a meteor blackspot that has a 3 mast 20 feet away. you should compare proper coverage versus proper coverage. 3 has an awful lot more blackspots than meteor after all

Advertisement