Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoise svn merge

Options
  • 05-09-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I have installed subversion and I've installed tortoisesvn.

Ive right clicked on the folder of files and did import.

The problem I'm having is there is when I right click on the file there is no diff option.

All that appears in tortoisesvn is repo-browser,settings , help and about.

There is no diff or update or anything like that.

I heard you need to use tortoisemerge to get diff working.

Is tortoisemerge included with tortoisesvn or is it a seperate download?

Any advice would be much appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

quinnd6 wrote: »

The problem I'm having is there is when I right click on the file there is no diff option.

All that appears in tortoisesvn is repo-browser,settings , help and about.

There is no diff or update or anything like that.

I heard you need to use tortoisemerge to get diff working.

Is tortoisemerge included with tortoisesvn or is it a seperate download?

Any advice would be much appreciated .

All one download; The menus are context sensitive, are there any differences to view?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

It sounds like the file you're right-clicking on isn't checked out from a Subversion repository. There should be an ".svn" folder added to the folder it's in, and there should be a small image added to its icon in Explorer (probably a green tick). Plus the right-click menu will have a bunch of options on it (SVN Commit and Update, and a sub-menu with lots of options).

If you've imported your files to the repository, you need to check them out somewhere, to create a "working copy". Right-click in an empty folder, and select "SVN Checkout" from the context menu. That should let you pick your repository (the one you've created), and will then check out your files from it. You should then be able to work on them and see their icons change to red, check their diffs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

quinnd6 wrote: »

After you did the import (bit highlighted in bold). Did you actually check the repository out of SVN by right-clicking on a folder and selecting 'SVN Checkout...'? If you did, your files should then have icon overlays in the corner a bit like this. Red represents files that have changed since the last check-in. Green represents files that haven't changed:
    tortoise_svn.png

If you didn't then there won't be a Diff option because you're not working off a repository.

Advertisement