Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodder Flooding - Dublin

• 05-09-2008 4:34pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Dodder in flood this afternoon at the Dropping Well in Dublin.

Was there from approx. 3 to 3.30. As I was leaving the water was still rising fast and I overheard a Garda discussing closing Milltown Road. Firemen were putting on their life jackets! Dropping Well flooded and evacuated with all the staff out on the road (they gave up trying keep the water out around 3.15). All the cars were removed fom the car park except one. As I was leaving, a crane was arriving to try and remove a tree stuck under the bridge.

The usual reason for the the Dodder flooding like this in the past is Dublin City Council releasing water form Boehernabreena resevoir (to stop dam bursting). Obviously, Council taken by surprise by the heavy rain!!! On occassions in the past, when heavy rain was forecast, they used to release water slowly days in advance.

Various106.jpg
    Note tree stuck behind bridge.

Various112.jpg

Various115.jpg

Various118.jpg

Various120.jpg
    Resignation!

Various121.jpg

Various122.jpg
    In Hurricane Charlie, water was half way up the windows over those steps (on the right hand side)!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow, great stuff there Docarch.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Wow, impressive pictures there alright. And the rain is about to kick off again......should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well done, how did you put up with the stink of that river though? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wow! Won't be getting my lunch time carvery there for a while I suppose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hal1 wrote: »
    Well done, how did you put up with the stink of that river though? :)

Water actaully smells nice! All peaty and clayey:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Water actaully smells nice! All peaty and clayey:p

You might get some trout out of there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I went for a spin up around Sally Gap earlier and everywhere was flooded, mere streams had become thunderous rapids. Glenmacnass waterwall was unreal, never seen it so dramatic before. Thats all presumably making its way down hill right now, the Dodder aint gonna subside for a while yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭stooge

Well DOCARCH,

I see you went along with my advice and took a trip to the dropping well that Friday? I would have got some photos but had to get on the road to cork (which took almost 6 1/2 hr's!). Great pics, especially the 4th and the last. Was so surprised to see the river at that level but the reason you give (council releasing water) seems to explain it. Would expect Charlie Chawke (owner of the DW) to have a word with the council though!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

stooge wrote: »
    Well DOCARCH,

I see you went along with my advice and took a trip to the dropping well that Friday? I would have got some photos but had to get on the road to cork (which took almost 6 1/2 hr's!). Great pics, especially the 4th and the last. Was so surprised to see the river at that level but the reason you give (council releasing water) seems to explain it. Would expect Charlie Chawke (owner of the DW) to have a word with the council though!

Yeah - the minute I read your post I ran!

I am told by 'reliable' sources that Mr Chawke tried previoulsy to have a legal word with the Council after the last flooding but to no avail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fraslaw

Hi Docharch

Great pictures, I actually live right beside the Dropping Well but was out of town during the flood. I'm doing a thesis on extreme weather at the moment in TCD, and would love to use some of your pictures in the thesis if I could? I would acknowledge you fully under each picture!

Let me know, and thanks!

Frank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

fraslaw wrote: »
    Hi Docharch

Great pictures, I actually live right beside the Dropping Well but was out of town during the flood. I'm doing a thesis on extreme weather at the moment in TCD, and would love to use some of your pictures in the thesis if I could? I would acknowledge you fully under each picture!

Let me know, and thanks!

Frank
    Never include your personal email address on the internet. You could be spammed. I have removed it.

Contact Docarch directly via PM if you need more info and exchange whatever there.:)

Fraslaw - if you want to PM me you are welcome - will try and oblige!

Advertisement