Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension Question

Options
  • 05-09-2008 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is in the right part...but anyway....

Im paying a pension for the last few years and I recently want to terminate the pension. I was told that I have to surrender the policy in writing. I was told I would then get an amount of cash and that was that. I rang today and was told I was given the wrong information and I can only get the cash when I hit 60. Surely this is wrong? Ive stopped the direct debit and cancelled the pension but now, after being told one story, Im now being told another and will have to wait 30 odd years to get my money...

Anybody any advice?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id try posting in Biz>Personal>Banking, Insurance & pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Thats generally the way they work.. You pay into them and they mature when you hit retirement age.. Check your T&Cs for your policy but doubt you can cash them in before (unless you die!)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Depends on the scheme but often you can cash in if you've been a member for less than two years. After two years you can arrange transfer of your funds to a new scheme or personal pension.

As post already mentioned, best to check the T & C's or speak to an advisor from the Pension Scheme provider (insurer).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sounds like you are past the general 2 year rule which means you do not get your money until you retire.

Advertisement