Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin helps raise $8 million for Obama.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would imagine such an effect would happen anyway, as the opposition realise they are in a knock down drag-out fight until November.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Hobbes wrote: »
    Her speech brought in $1 for the RNC but apprantly pissed off enough people to raise $8 million for Obama. Way to go girl! :pac:

I think you missed a 0 there, but that's okay, I'm sure it was just a mistake. The amount she helped to bring in to McCain's campaign is $10 million.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5700022&page=1
    I don't dispute the amount her speech brought in for Obama, but I think that figure speaks volumes that the Dems are now running scared. Why else would they have donated that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd be running sacred at the thought of a beauty queen possibly taking over the big job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    I think you missed a 0 there,

Nope. Original story I linked to was "RNC Picks Up $1 Million After Palin Speech".

Your story relates to when Palin was announced as VP. Two different stories.

I agree it was two different stories. Your link was a blog. Wasn't it you who commented earlier in another thread to the effect that you didn't give a lot of credence to blogs as legitimate news reports?

So honestly, disregarding the minutia of the details, which do you think is the more accurate figure of Palin's effect, that was brought into McCain's campaign, $1 million or $10 million?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Do you have a source saying she brought in $10 million for her RNC speech?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The two of you are arguing over different time periods.

In the two days since she was nominated, she brought in $10m.

In the day since her speech, a further $1m.

NTM

Otacon wrote: »
    Do you have a source saying she brought in $10 million for her RNC speech?
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5700022&page=1

edit: okay, I think I see where this is going... "pick" vs "speech" (the minutia). How about the "the Palin effect," how's that?

But how can you compare the $8 million the Obama campaign got in one night, to the period of 2-3 days that the $10 million was earned?

EDIT: Sorry $10 million, according to Bloomberg for Obama
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/afxhgfvhhbtc

Otacon wrote: »
    But how can you compare the $8 million the Obama campaign got in one night, to the period of 2-3 days that the $10 million was earned?

EDIT: Sorry $10 million, according to Bloomberg for Obama

I guess the reason is the democrats thought the pick of Palin was a joke, until of course the speech happened. The republicans knew the pick was the real deal from the get go. I guess republicans are better at assessing someone's mettle better then the democrats. (man... I know I will pay for that one)

And I wouldn't doubt the $10 million figure for Obama... the fear keeps rising.

• Advertisement

Your link was a blog. Wasn't it you who commented earlier in another thread to the effect that you didn't give a lot of credence to blogs as legitimate news reports?

Wall Street Journal blog which references a bloomberg story. I did read around.

What are you looking for exactly?
    AP? http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iNxTApa2sQRu0Xx99P3jt2bEXw7gD930DFLG0

Another Bloomberg story again.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aPN78zX1eg10&refer=us

Sydney Morning Herald?
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/straight-shooter-hits-home/2008/09/05/1220121527112.html

I guess the reason is the democrats thought the pick of Palin was a joke, until of course the speech happened.

No they still think Palin is a joke but they also know she was the real pick. Let's be honest, did you expect McCain to come out and say "Gotcha all!".

From the stories I have read, most of the donations are due to her attacking Obama with BS.

...and attacking every community organiser in the US, though inadvertently!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hobbes wrote: »
    No they still think Palin is a joke but they also know she was the real pick. Let's be honest, did you expect McCain to come out and say "Gotcha all!".

From the stories I have read, most of the donations are due to her attacking Obama with BS.

Does every donation come with a little comment box filled in saying Palin is the reason they are donating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I'm terrified of her! Believes and advocates in creationism being thought in schools, allows her daughter make the choice about her baby but will take that choice away from every other family in America and she is unsure of what exactly her job entails...

Terrifying is the right word!

Advertisement