Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with UTV today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Download speed 37 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed - Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 4 %
    Maximum delay 4862 ms
    Round trip time 320 ms
    Upstream jitter 4.8 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

37Kbps Download and unable to measure Upload :eek: This is UTV 2Mb package in Lifford (Donegal). Why should I have to pay ANYTHING for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Just tried Dublin, Galway and Limerick. Odd results indeed. Dublin ran the first time, can't get it to test at all now, freezes when testing the ping.

Pages have also started displaying incorrectly, boards was all over the place when I opened it, got an error from speed test a minute ago telling me I need to install Flash.

If I wasn't paying for it this would be laughable :(

321388037.png

321391620.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the connection seems to improve as the night wears on. But the mid-evening pings are still knocking in at around 150-200.

This is the current state of play for me (2mb):
    Dublin: http://www.speedtest.net/result/321395334.png
    Galway: http://www.speedtest.net/result/321395814.png
    Limerick: http://www.speedtest.net/result/321396134.png

Not that these figures mean anything as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

this is the second night in a row where mines returned to normal after 1am. Im downloading Fifa 09 PC demo @ 300kbytes per second

• Registered Users Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭irishgeo

lmimmfn wrote: »
    this is the second night in a row where mines returned to normal after 1am. Im downloading Fifa 09 PC demo @ 300kbytes per second

everyones gone to bed mate.

thats why its improved. thats why i reckon its a capicty issue on the exchanges. there is not enough bandwidth to go around at peak times. Eircom customers get it first and the rest of us have to scrap over whats left.

• Advertisement

321427258.png

Unfortunately, no great improvement for me yet :( Probably have to wait till 3am for the speed to reach up here :rolleyes:

irishgeo wrote: »
    everyones gone to bed mate.

thats why its improved. thats why i reckon its a capicty issue on the exchanges. there is not enough bandwidth to go around at peak times. Eircom customers get it first and the rest of us have to scrap over whats left.
    yeah,i was thinking the exact same thing lol, nationwide disaster post upgrades, its practically useless in the evenings as is, they have the same issues in the BT thread

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Are Eircom customers having any slow down in their speeds ?? If not, I'l sign up with them today.

Anyone know if my line is up to coping with a 7.6 mbit ?

Line stats
    Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 29.1 17.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 30.6 17.0 dB

P.S.

Do we qualify ? Please please please say we are a 'developing market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tradalai

babaloushka - what tool/cmd do you use to test the performance.
    speedtest.com does not give a real indication of download speed.

Eircom will tell you if your line can handle 7.6 Mb.

UTV say that eircom are having same issues - can anyone verify ?

last night CRAP again 5kB download speed on 3Mb connection

tradalai wrote: »
    babaloushka - what tool/cmd do you use to test the performance.
    speedtest.com does not give a real indication of download speed.

I've been using both Irish Speedtest and Speedtest.net - same results. I hardly need to run a speed test, really, as my browsing speaks for itself. I wait ages for a page to load! Is there any other tester you recommend?
    I'd also like to know if Eircom customers are having any better a time of it, as I would even consider buying out my UTV contract and signing up with them. I don't know anyone locally on Eircom - unfortunately, I recommended UTV to people I knew so we are all in the same boat :( Needless to say, if I find out that Eircom is better and faster, for whatever reason, I will ensure that my friends and family get the word. None of us will put up with this for much longer.

• Advertisement

321606458.png

Irish Speed Test Results (run straight after above0

Download speed 401 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 147 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 37 %
    Maximum delay 383 ms
    Round trip time 263 ms
    Upstream jitter 1.4 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

Last night at 4am (I stayed up to check :o) I was getting 1650 Kbps download, so it looks like there's at least a possibility that capacity is the problem, as already mentioned in this thread. Is there any way of confirming this? Are Eircom customers getting the lion's share and the rest of us doomed to fight over the scraps?

Agree, I know instantly when I login from the browser response.

I'll check with my neighbor who I think is on Eircom and post tonight

Ireland - an information society, with this BB - what a Joke !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

Here's the reply I got from UTV. (after i sent the original mail 3 times)
    Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in response.

Currently Eircom are upgrading the lines which is why your speed has went up to 7.6MB however, because of this all customers who operate on an Eircom line (regardless of the ISP) have been experiencing very slow download speeds for the past few weeks. Unfortunately we do not know when Eircom are to rectify this issue but apologies for the inconvenience you are currently experiencing.

This ticket#1066799 will now close. No further action will be taken with this ticket as replies will not be monitored.
    Please do not reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Amy
    UTV Admin

So it's a Not our fault so stop asking us response.

Are any of the other ISP's suffering the lag at the moment?
    Seriously looking at cable. or at the very least moving from UTV.

Getting 624 Kbps tonight and I'm GRATEFUL for the 'increase' :eek: It sure beats 37!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Tonight seems to be the worst GRRR!!! Eircom

One of the few speedtests that could take a reading

321852348.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Down in cork ive mainly been noticing its very slow for any sort of streaming at all whereas download speeds are decent enough.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

From IrishISPtest

Download speed: 105936 bps
    Upload speed: 107400 bps
    Quality of service: 68 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum download pause: 958 ms
    Average download pause: 330 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 74 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 75 ms

What a crock!

My main issues seems to be trying to browse sites not hosted in Ireland. eBay is a nightmare, ie.playstation.com was a no-go, and indeed ign.com etc.

A week or so is more than long enough this day and age to endure such shoddy service.

Unfortunately, DSL is the only bb option I have.

Anyone know any Eircom DSL 2Mb + subscribers ?
    If yes can you test and report back so we can confirm UTV is not the issue.

I have send a mail to UTV saying I'm not paying for a 3Mb service - also logged an issue with ComReg - so wait and see

Anyone try the Vodafone 3Mb/6Mb device ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lmimmfn wrote: »
    yeah,i was thinking the exact same thing lol, nationwide disaster post upgrades, its practically useless in the evenings as is, they have the same issues in the BT thread

Apologies if this point has been made before - but UTV seem to use some of the BT infrastructure. Some years ago both BT and UTV had problems at the same time and this connection came to light. It is interesting to see that both BT and UTV customers seem to be sharing the same problems at the moment.

dub45 wrote: »
    Apologies if this point has been made before - but UTV seem to use some of the BT infrastructure. Some years ago both BT and UTV had problems at the same time and this connection came to light. It is interesting to see that both BT and UTV customers seem to be sharing the same problems at the moment.
    no, thats a good point actually, to the switch its eircom obviously but any of my tracert's go through the BT network from UTV, and with tracert i can even see it spends 25% of the time getting from UTV's network to BT's

• Advertisement

If someone knows the BT thread can they get the latest.

Perhaps the issue is with BT and not Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I was on a 4 mbit line. Rang today and asked UTV to drop me to a 3 Mbit so as my speed would increase to a 7.6 mbit. Exchange here can't handle 10 mbit so I would never have been increased.

Spoke to them about the speeds and he said its only been escalated to Comreg in the few days so I'd say within a few days Eircom will at least have to spread the bandwidth around and not hog it all. Once Eircom customers start getting slow speeds they won't be long fixing it.

Rang UTV, only 4 mins waiting, all done within an hour.

At least they did a good job on what they had control over.

nacimroc wrote: »
    I was on a 4 mbit line. Rang today and asked UTV to drop me to a 3 Mbit so as my speed would increase to a 7.6 mbit. Exchange here can't handle 10 mbit so I would never have been increased.

Spoke to them about the speeds and he said its only been escalated to Comreg in the few days so I'd say within a few days Eircom will at least have to spread the bandwidth around and not hog it all. Once Eircom customers start getting slow speeds they won't be long fixing it.

Rang UTV, only 4 mins waiting, all done within an hour.

At least they did a good job on what they had control over.
    utv dont do a 4mbit line???? sure you werent updated but your line cant handle it? im on 7.6 but only get 4mb

UTV offered to downgrade me to 1Mb from 3Mb. They indicated that anything above 1Mb has the performance troubles.

UTV offered to downgrade me to 1Mb from 3Mb. They indicated that anything above 1Mb has the performance troubles.
    yeah, but 1Mb in this day and age is total crap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How charitable of them. To those that have contacted UTV - assuming it'll all work out and the pings will go back to something resembling a first-world country, have UTV made any noises to suggest they'll upgrade their customers?

UTV are very poor on customer service and can't even answer support calls - so can we have confidence in them fixing this ?????

No mention of upgrade and if this is not fixed by early next week I will be moving - back to Eircom (unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

pixelburp wrote: »
    How charitable of them. To those that have contacted UTV - assuming it'll all work out and the pings will go back to something resembling a first-world country, have UTV made any noises to suggest they'll upgrade their customers?

No they haven't any immediate plans I asked them before all this trouble started and all they could tell me was in the future they will be.

But even if you look at their website all they care about is new customers and offers for them, there not interested in their existing customers that want a quality service:(

Latest from UTV - well actually the only time out of 7 support calls they bothered their ass to reply to

12 Sept 2008

Dear Sir.

Due to eircom upgrading exchanges, all DSL users in the Republic of Ireland are experiencing slow speeds during peak periods, it is due to few factors, one of the being the line setup. Eircom in order to enchance the stability at the higher (upgraded)speed, have implemented "interleaving" which increased latency and caused potential timeouts, but this should not be the case and Eircom will look into resolving this issue after the upgrades are finished. The other thing that is affecting your speeds is the contention ratio, causing traffic jams during peak hours, imagine 4 lane motorway comming into 2 lane junction) There is no estimated fix time on this, however we are in communication with eircom to get this resolved asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

.....The other thing that is affecting your speeds is the contention ratio, causing traffic jams during peak hours, imagine 4 lane motorway comming into 2 lane junction) ......

Thats crap re the contention ratio.

Have they not heard... the M50 is barrier free now :D

I'm well aware of that, but have been with UTV over a year and find it hard to believe that 40 odd other customers in my area have connected in the last fortnight.

Anyone know about the contention ratio thing. If it 's 48:1 for example, is that 48 people accross the UTV network, or do other providers share this, or indeed, is it 48 people on the same exchange???

Advertisement