Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with UTV today?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Same for me, yeah.

I gotta say, though, that I'm expecting a general slowdown tomorrow to dial-up speeds again, in-line with what has been going on throughout the previous weekdays.
    Yes, I'm expecting the same. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd consider paying Eircom the extra money for their service, as at least theirs doesn't seem to be having much of a problem. I've still another 3 months or so left on my UTV contract though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

byte wrote: »
    Yes, I'm expecting the same. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd consider paying Eircom the extra money for their service, as at least theirs doesn't seem to be having much of a problem. I've still another 3 months or so left on my UTV contract though.
    UTV will still take 30 bucks off of you after your 6 month contract is over, should you decide to move away from them. No matter how long you stay with them, there's going to be a release fee. Criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crownhill

DSL at the speed of dialup tonight on UTV 2mb d/l 29.4kbps u/l 221 . I would say any provider would not use these stats in their advertising campaign for new customers. No deterioration on the line stats. I think it will be some stongly worded mails to UTV tomorrow with copies to the spineless regulator.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

UTV will still take 30 bucks off of you after your 6 month contract is over, should you decide to move away from them. No matter how long you stay with them, there's going to be a release fee. Criminal!
    Yeah, I'm aware of the release fee alright. But release fee is higher if I cancel within the first 6 months. Over €60 IIRC.

But, if they're not delivering the service being paid for, then any contract should be null and void anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Currently my (2mb) speeds are ok though still not at their previous best, but frankly I expected as much given I have been checking on a Sunday evening. The test will be tomorrow onwards (though I remember thinking that last Sunday too):
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/323446728.png

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

first post in the thread

323488701.png

Thats what i am getting now on my 3mb line, its still pretty bad in my opinion, but i have got about 10th of that at times the last week or so.
    and well i have had enough this is just a pure bloody rage post , 4 years
    is long they can take their crapy blue modem back and stick it up ther a***,
    €30 to cannel my contract , fine by me . Any i am off to either bt or upc , hopefully they will be better .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

This is the email that I sent to consumerline tonight - I hope everyone else does something similar:

[The following is a copy of an email I sent to support@u.tv concerning the abysmal connection speeds on my 2Mb broadband package with them over the last two weeks and more:

Complaint to UTV 13th September
    I know that writing this email is a total waste of time, but I want to have a written record of my complaint. I have already been on to your phone support and logged my complaints. As you are very well aware, broadband speeds have been abysmal lately - my all time low on your 2Mb package is 37 Kbps. Mind you, I'm certain I've been lower, but none of the speed checkers could load on those occasions! At peak times, I rarely achieve better than 300 Kbps, although at 4am, if I can stay awake till then, I can sometimes get up to 1600 Kbps.
    I know that you are blaming Eircom for all this - which is a right old cop out if ever there was one - but U are my ISP and U are taking my money, so U are responsible. You have conveniently sidestepped the issue and not posted ANY information online, nor emailed your customers about the problem or the issues involved in the Eircom upgrading. If you imagine that this gets you out of any blame - think again. I know you are aware of the complaints online at boards.ie. It's a pity you can't show a little respect for us - even BT has SOME information on its site.
    Since your phone support states that you have no idea if or when the problems will be resolved, you leave most of us with little choice but to change providers and/or complain to Comreg, which I will now be doing along with many others. There is a suspicion that Eircom is not wholly at fault here and that UTV should have addressed certain line problems with action of its own. Moreover, if the problem is NOT being experienced by Eircom customers, for whatever reason, then change to them is the only option. If it IS also a problem with Eircom, then, as a customer of theirs, I can complain directly to the source and not keep going round in circles while UTV and Eircom laugh all the way to the bank with MY money!

I know that many other people with both UTV and BT are experiencing the same problems – two threads on boards.ie will illustrate further:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055368054

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055371860

Both UTV and BT claim that Eircom is responsible for this problem, but both ISPs are still quite happy to keep on taking their customers’ money IN FULL. Consumer law, as I understand it, places the onus directly on retailers and service providers to meet their obligations to their customers and I maintain that simply blaming Eircom is a spurious argument. Whoever is actually at fault here is immaterial - and this aspect is questionable – those of us who pay UTV or BT are entitled to either a decent service or our money back. BT and UTV, in their turn, may then claim redress from Eircom, if indeed the fault really is Eircom’s!
    I would like some advice from you now on the correct way to proceed and would appreciate your help and support. ]

I'll be away from tomorrow until Friday, so maybe things will have changed by the time I get back - dream on! I won't be able to post my speeds, so I'll have to see how everyone else is doing :rolleyes:

Good job.

Let us know if you get a response upon returning home. I'll do likewise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Just on my way out the door and decided to do another speed test - just for old times sake :) and this was the result:

323664585.png

This is the highest speed I have EVER got - and I mean EVER, no matter what day/time I've tried it! Probably a coincidence, but maybe an indication of what everybody should be doing. Complaining - HARD & LOUD & EVERYWHERE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I get decent results in those speed checker things but the internet is still painfully slow and Youtube is especially bad! It can take an hour to load a 5 min video! This happening to anyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://www.speedtest.net/result/323882435.png

As I thought, back to the horrendous speeds. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tradalai

Yep don't think because the speedtests are good you can download a file.

Just not getting 4.5Kb/s on a 3Mb link - what a joke to be paying for this !!!

Also have a complaint going with ComReg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yep, back to $hit for me too, irishisptest shows 527kbps download/318kbps upload

speedtest.net :
    323941967.png

Ill give it until tomorrow night then im gonna start ringing/mailing and complaining

Downloading King Bounty demo from gamershell.com ireland server @ 12KB/sec, complete rubbish, same from uk server after i cancelled first download

~65kbps tonight. Absolutely insane. I might as well take my 56k modem out of the attic. At least I won't be paying €50 a month for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

~65kbps tonight. Absolutely insane. I might as well take my 56k modem out of the attic. At least I won't be paying €50 a month for that.
    yeah, same as that, only 7 hours and 35 minutes and ill be finished downloading this 688MB demo, grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shotokan_IRL

Hi guys - also been getting slower than dial up speeds - currently on 3Mbs Package - and the two sites I usually do my main tests on are:

www.speedtest.net which you pick the Dublin/ Limerick/ Galway servers - which always seem to even fluctuate between each other

and

http://www.testmy.net/speedtest/d_load.php which I find good as it actually simulates varying packet sizes and you can clearly see the variances in the download even per packet sizes - which confirms what others have noted about the different ping times.

Today must have been the worst barely getting above the 50kbs speed. I was beginning to even start blaming the wireless being used downstairs - so I disabled the wireless and there was little or no difference.

Now at 2am here are the 3 servers per speedtest.net

324059367.png

324059726.png

324060053.png

And here is 3 seperate test done at testmy.net using SmarTest method straight after each other:

share2-9C1MHFSP6

share2-43NOG6T9E

share2-VK04Q2EL6

So definite improvement post midnight - if I saw half of that in the evening Id be overjoyed.

Will post my evening results tomorrow - Co.Limerick btw.

Well I am saving my results now and build up a few days worth of sh*t speeds. Then I shall email both UTV and comreg and demand satisfaction. It has gone far enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

I'm on UTV Clicksilver plus 3MB

This is my speed this morning:

324182892.png

Can someone tell me if my maths are wrong as I'm pretty sure this is not 3MB no matter how you divide it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

You should be getting between 2500 and 3000, but most people now on the 3Mb package including my self are getting results of over 3000 due to Eircons upgrade (But you still can't stream a You Tube video) but then the line seems to fall and speed falls to 100-200kb, and line drops and huge pings

UTV blame Eircon, and vice versa!! Where as we the customers paying for a service and get no reply to our queries from UTV, 3 weeks for a support ticket to be answered!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

http://www.speedtest.net/result/324254794.png

I am brand new to UTV only got it yesterday after agonizing for weeks over who to go with.
    To me, it is almost like a dream speed, when for the last year I have had 3 which was as bad as dial up.
    You know the story, click connect, go make the dinner, cut the grass, write a report, paint your nails, and they weeehey hey, on she comes.

Aside from the fact that I think the new speed is great, I just wondered for a 3meg package is this right?

Bell:D

bellapip wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/324254794.png

I am brand new to UTV only got it yesterday after agonizing for weeks over who to go with.
    To me, it is almost like a dream speed, when for the last year I have had 3 which was as bad as dial up.
    You know the story, click connect, go make the dinner, cut the grass, write a report, paint your nails, and they weeehey hey, on she comes.

Aside from the fact that I think the new speed is great, I just wondered for a 3meg package is this right?

Bell:D
    Welcome, to what seems to be an exclusive club here (ha ha). Hope you don't experience all the problems affecting us. :)

If I'm to nitpick, then I'd have to say your upload falls short of a bout 60-70Kb/sec (bits, not bytes). You should ideally be looking at the 310-320Kb/sec mark on a 3Mb connection. 2.6Mb/sec is just about right on the money for the downstream.

Hmmm, at this hour in the evening, that's a suspiciously OK speed result:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/324416523.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

I got my NTL 20mb line installed today. When i rang up to cancel the chap asked me why i was getting rid of it, so i went on a bit of a rant.

UTV can shove their broadband up their hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

aaasaaaaaarrrrghhgggggghhhjjhhh.
    I send an e mail to utv yesterday complaining about 1 Mbps speeds and today its actually worse. Lucky to get a connection at all never mind do any measurements.

Hi all - as promised here is the UTV 3mb in the evening:

Here are the 3 servers per speedtest.net:

324498714.png

324499296.png

324499744.png

And testmy.net using SmarTest method - 3 tests done straight after each other:

share2-7V2O1EN8Y

share2-7HASG4XPL

share2-X9BW8IUOD

Funny though with the Upload staying still up near max with download speed at its usual below 1Mb crawl. But big big huge difference between this and the tests I did at 2am this morn. Come on UTV sort out this mess.

Hi all - as promised here is the UTV 3mb in the evening:

Here are the 3 servers per speedtest.net:

324498714.png

324499296.png

324499744.png

And testmy.net using SmarTest method - 3 tests done straight after each other:

share2-7V2O1EN8Y

share2-7HASG4XPL

share2-X9BW8IUOD

Funny though with the Upload staying still up near max with download speed at its usual below 1Mb crawl. But big big huge difference between this and the tests I did at 2am this morn. Come on UTV sort out this mess.
    How could you be on 3Mb if your upload is so high? It's closer to the 7.6Mb package upload speed.

How could you be on 3Mb if your upload is so high? It's closer to the 7.6Mb package upload speed.

Well I'm paying for the 3Mb package :cool: but the exchange got upgraded by the wondrous technology that's causing all the problems to 7.6Mb and as I'm on the biggest package it automatically upgrades to it - but as per my post this morning that's the only time I get to see it. But like I said you would expect both sides to suffer, or so I thought, so is it only downloads that are crippled with this issue :confused: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tradalai

Eve 16 Sept
    21:00 Well its better with approx 800kb to 1Mb download and I can download files. Compared to Mon 4.7Kb ...

I am paying for 3Mb and also spoke to ComReg and UTV today - I will keep calling to annoy if nothing else.

If you have not done so I recommend you mail comreg with an offical complaint - you need to include a record of correspondence with UTV older than 10 days. This will put pressure on UTV and Eircom to sort out this crap service and give us what we are paying for

Email

consumerline@comreg.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Not so bad tonight (3Mb)

324524636.png

324525374.png

Advertisement