Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with UTV today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

I also got a call this morning from UTV support and essentially the same chat that DECEIFER outlined. They are hesitant to blame Eircom at this point in time but have flown in engineers to try and resolve the problems. They are in contact with Comreg and have been following our discussions here on Boards. I had emailed both UTV and Comreg just yesterday, so was pleasantly surprised to receive a reply so soon. These network problems seem to be just in the South, not on BT's network north of the border. So perhaps the real culprit is Eircom and the upgrades, only time will tell. The call lasted about 20 minutes, and the chap was well-informed. The short of it is that they do not really know why the network is so unpredictable these past few weeks, but are working all out to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you checked your line stats to see if your line is able for that speed?

UTV done a test on it before the upgrade and said that it was capable of 6MB.
    Have not checked myself as I dont know how. Any advice would be welcome.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ISOT wrote: »
    UTV done a test on it before the upgrade and said that it was capable of 6MB.
    Have not checked myself as I dont know how. Any advice would be welcome.

What router do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

dub45 wrote: »
    What router do you have?

Linksys WAG200G

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As mentioned before by another member, I have been on the 3Mbs package from the start and one day I was browsing the UTV site and saw that the price for my package had dropped by over 10quid yet I was still paying the old rate. When I rang up I was told you have to notify them to move to the cheaper price - even though I got no notification by mail or anything that such a change had happened - so for 2yrs I was paying the higher price thats 240quid extra - I wasn't impressed.

Had the exact same problem. Was paying a lot more per year and was just about to switch to Esat when we were told we were paying to much. Apparently its our job to look out for special offers and if the price goes down we have to ask for it. Still, they work out cheaper then EsatBT (overall, by about 15euro) and Esat are charging extra if you want to go on the 6mb line while UTV are not. It would cost an extra 30euro to pull out. Bill payer happy for now.
    And the last example of course is this speed issue - which, when I called asking why speeds were so pathetic I was told by the support team to "check boards.ie its all explained in there" - and it was Eircom infrastructure change resulting in this issue. Yet again no notification anywhere that this issue was there - I thought it was my modem, bad line, dodgey wireless connection and did all the tests before being satisfied it wasn't - wasting my time.

UTV have a record of not telling anybody anything for years. The news group is often handy for unoffical reports, with the odd comment from UTV.

[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I have just received a call from UTV Support. They wanted to give me an update on the situation.

Basically, UTV are investigating their own network to make sure the problem is not on their end. Network Engineers have been flown in from England to assist in the problem, some even from Cisco. They receive regular feedback on the diagnostic work done by these engineers, but as yet, nothing significant has been found by them. He also informed me that they're also looking into the BT Ireland side of things, since UTV do use some of BT's network infrastructure. They are also constantly making reports to ComReg and, and indeed Eircom. He was unwilling to place blame on Eircom, as he said, and I quote, "We need to make sure our own house is clean before we establish blame on someone else's."

He also mentioned Boards.ie, so he and other UTV employees, are reading these threads. I have been promised to be kept up-to-date by him and will receive further updates in the near future. He made it clear that UTV's life would be a lot easier if these problems were to be resolved sooner, rather than later, so I do think there's enough incentive for them to find this problem and squash it like a bug fairly quickly. However, if the problem is on Eircom's side, I am not so confident that they will be as inticed to resolve it so quickly. Sure, we'll see!

The call lasted 25 minutes or so, and was ended by him giving me his direct line. I won't post his name or number, but it does show some good faith on UTV's end, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Did anyone else get a similar call?

Just back this evening and trying to catch up on the posts. I managed to get on briefly in the hotel I was staying in, but the speed I was getting made UTV look good and I gave up :pac:
    Of course, I received no email reply from UTV, though my original complaint was sent even before yours Deceifer - there was no phone message recorded either. Maybe it's now a sexist thing with UTV ...
    I did receive a reply from Comreg, however - the ususal generic 10 day thing looking for line details etc.
    The email and phonecall you received sound promising though (I'm impressed) but I'm not holding my breath for a resolution. I will now get back to logging my speeds to check if there's any improvement and I'll wait and see if UTV bother to offer me the same respect and reassurance you got - I have a big family and many friends now on UTV because I (foolishly) recommended it to them, so they are waiting hard to hear how my complaint is being treated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

No answer from my complaint. Sayint that getting good speeds (~6Mbps down) and so so ping (~85ms)...but...no phone line connection again (3rd time in about a month).

326370772.png

Speed bearable enough at the moment - not the best, but certainly not the worst, though obviously not near the 2Mb it should be. Interesting to see what this evening brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Is anyone else having the problem of it not just being slow but its stopping and starting!! One minute it could be fine then gone, nothing, then back again its been like that for 3 days now. Get maybe 2 or 3 pages then gone

My speed is too slow to run speedtest if I get a ping result it's over 300. I wish UTV would sort this out soon.

It's not only their broadband connection its also their dial up service as well that gotten even worse. I have it at work but will be switching that soon as it as good as useless on a bad day

Still no statement on their website, its as if they hope the problem will go away

Namesco wrote: »
    Is anyone else having the problem of it not just being slow but its stopping and starting!! One minute it could be fine then gone, nothing, then back again its been like that for 3 days now. Get maybe 2 or 3 pages then gone

My speed is too slow to run speedtest if I get a ping result it's over 300. I wish UTV would sort this out soon.

It's not only their broadband connection its also their dial up service as well that gotten even worse. I have it at work but will be switching that soon as it as good as useless on a bad day

Still no statement on their website, its as if they hope the problem will go away

I don't have the stop/start issue thankfully - is it possibly a router problem? I've seen here that some people reckon that fault may be as a result of a not so good one being unable to deal with fluctuations.
    And, yes - you're absolutely right about the lack of statement on their website. That is the MOST insulting part of this whole fracas :(. It's as if by not publicly acknowledging the problem, they can pretend it's not happening. The 'It's nothing to do with us' response is wearing very thin :mad: and smacks of the worst kind of deception.
    How much would it take in terms of time, effort and cost to send an email to all their customers? If they had any respect for us, that's what they'd do. Rather than increase phonecalls to support lines, there's every chance that people would feel reassured - but ONLY if UTV are seen to be serious about addressing the problem
    I expect it's a cynical, financially-motivated tactic not to do so - if you don't acknowledge a problem, then you don't have to provide any recompense. Keep people in the dark and they might even think it's their own fault.
    Wise up, UTV - we're on to U!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Just back this evening and trying to catch up on the posts. I managed to get on briefly in the hotel I was staying in, but the speed I was getting made UTV look good and I gave up :pac:
    Of course, I received no email reply from UTV, though my original complaint was sent even before yours Deceifer - there was no phone message recorded either. Maybe it's now a sexist thing with UTV ...
    I did receive a reply from Comreg, however - the ususal generic 10 day thing looking for line details etc.
    The email and phonecall you received sound promising though (I'm impressed) but I'm not holding my breath for a resolution. I will now get back to logging my speeds to check if there's any improvement and I'll wait and see if UTV bother to offer me the same respect and reassurance you got - I have a big family and many friends now on UTV because I (foolishly) recommended it to them, so they are waiting hard to hear how my complaint is being treated :(
    OK, here's the thing. Not everyone has been contacted, so it seems. It's quite disappointing, I know. They must know who I am now at this point, linking my posts to the man they called. Perhaps they were hoping I'd make the posts that I did post-call, so as to spread the word of reassurance. I know, again, it's not polite to those of you who did not receive a call or long email. But at least you received a reply from ComReg, babaloushka. I'm yet to hear anything from them, even if it's a computer generated 10-day response spiel.

You say you have a long line of people in your circle who also use UTV, and they are waiting for you to get word? Bad play. They could help themselves, and indeed everyone else, if they too were to make some noise.

If you'd be willing to ask them to write in, they should contact UTV via their complaints' email address. There's little point in contacting support. The problem is known, it's now time to put the pressure on.

I suggest they write an email to their Complaints Department, whilst CC'ing it onto ComReg. This play was suggested to me by UTV themselves, so I take it to be the best way to put pressure on them and ComReg to shake up the repair effort.

Here's the email addresses:
    complaints@u.tv (perhaps it's because I wrote into this address why I received that call from UTV the following day)
    consumerline@comreg.ie (this is the dedicated email address ComReg have set up for us consumers to notify them of any problems we're having with the telcos, etc.)

DECEiFER wrote: »

You say you have a long line of people in your circle who also use UTV, and they are waiting for you to get word? Bad play. They could help themselves, and indeed everyone else, if they too were to make some noise.

I agree and I wish it were that simple, but the truth is that most people won't bother - in the end, they will vote with their feet and/or take advice from someone they know. While UTV and BT may monitor these threads, there's a 'silent' majority out there who aren't posting, or even complaining, anywhere.
    It's only a select few who will grasp the nettle and I'm sure that both UTV and BT are well aware that those of us who complain represent hundreds and thousands of unsatisfied customers. This is what makes it even more unsatisfactory that they a) have not contacted EVERYONE in this thread that they can identify (and I'm clearly one of those) and b) sent, or at the very least put up on their site, information to ALL their customers about the problems. PR is not just about snazzing up the good stuff, it's about keeping your people in the loop in good and bad times.
    It's been said on this forum many, many times that UTV (and maybe some other ISPs) devote more time and effort to recruiting NEW customers - BAD policy and very shortsighted! As people become more and more savvy about rights, entitlements and value for money, shopping around - particularly with broadband - will become MORE likely rather than less. Sticking us to a contract and charging us a hefty get-out may SEEM as if it will trap us, but it will never buy any kind of loyalty and people are not that stupid in the long run. While price is important, service and real PR is even more so and this seems to be conspicuously lacking here.
    I suspect, for example, that FAR more people are reading this thread than are posting in it - what you and I and others are saying about UTV is influencing what they will do (and this applies to potential NEW customers too). In the absence of any other communication from UTV, this is the ONLY information they have. It's breathtakingly manipulative of them to leave THEIR PR work and THEIR explanations of the current problem up to us!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Namesco wrote: »

Yup, constantly happening for a while now - but noticed it a lot yesterday. Happened a few times today, or it stalls (but is connects) for a minute or two. I know a BT Customer who is complaining that they have speed problems, but I think its their PC (which im looking into as I type this) that might be the problem.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

326969828.png

Poor ping there (I'm not on an upgraded exchange). It was better yesterday and last night, possbly because there were less users online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kickaha

Ive been with UTV since pre broadband.Overall theyve given better value than eircom.
    Ive been on the 3MB for a couple of years and its been giving approx 2.5 MB dload all that time,except when line went down etc.
    The upgrade is an eircom driven thing and I personally would prefer a stable 2.5 /low contention ratio connection than what I was getting recently.
    Ie:
    Ive been getting at best marginally worse ping and dload speeds up to 6Mbps.
    At worst,ping increase of 500% and 56k modem speeds.
    UTV put me back on 1Mb at my request and its stable now,even if not as good as 3MB.
    I think a lot of it is to do with the age of these lines and the distance from the exchange.
    My line will take 7.6MBps but i think it only works properly when there is no one else closer to exchange than I am competing for bandwidth.
    The line "upgrade" isnt really that .all theyve done is install new equipment at the exchange,no one came along and relaced the 30 year old phone line as far as i know.
    It seems to me if your house/apt is right beside the exchange you will probably get the full "upgrade benefit" while those further away will get shafted more than previously.
    Eircom cant really advertise "7MB!(if you live beside the exchange,no one else is online,and its a slow net day)".
    Course maybe they are optimising lines for eircom only customers ,because they want to take back the buisness from resellers who were giving the same/better product for less money.
    Either way Im sticking on 1MB until ,I recieve a notification from UTV that its safe to go back to 7.6MB(UTV's 3MB package).
    btw I use bellwire(closest gauge to the phonewire that comes into the house ,direct from eircoms connection box to my router(with adsl filter),instead of the "thread wires" to the phone.

Kickaha wrote: »
    Ive been with UTV since pre broadband.Overall theyve given better value than eircom.
    Ive been on the 3MB for a couple of years and its been giving approx 2.5 MB dload all that time,except when line went down etc.
    The upgrade is an eircom driven thing and I personally would prefer a stable 2.5 /low contention ratio connection than what I was getting recently.
    Ie:
    Ive been getting at best marginally worse ping and dload speeds up to 6Mbps.
    At worst,ping increase of 500% and 56k modem speeds.
    UTV put me back on 1Mb at my request and its stable now,even if not as good as 3MB.
    I think a lot of it is to do with the age of these lines and the distance from the exchange.
    My line will take 7.6MBps but i think it only works properly when there is no one else closer to exchange than I am competing for bandwidth.
    The line "upgrade" isnt really that .all theyve done is install new equipment at the exchange,no one came along and relaced the 30 year old phone line as far as i know.
    It seems to me if your house/apt is right beside the exchange you will probably get the full "upgrade benefit" while those further away will get shafted more than previously.
    Eircom cant really advertise "7MB!(if you live beside the exchange,no one else is online,and its a slow net day)".
    Course maybe they are optimising lines for eircom only customers ,because they want to take back the buisness from resellers who were giving the same/better product for less money.
    Either way Im sticking on 1MB until ,I recieve a notification from UTV that its safe to go back to 7.6MB(UTV's 3MB package).
    btw I use bellwire(closest gauge to the phonewire that comes into the house ,direct from eircoms connection box to my router(with adsl filter),instead of the "thread wires" to the phone.

My speeds have been really good over the weekend, as follows:

327211276.png

But I've been scared to post them for fear that they'd vanish! And then again, it was the weekend. It seems to me that it's swings and roundabouts, good speeds one minute followed by crawling the next, with the scenario painted by Kickaha above looking all too likely. The idea that the speed increases are going to make second and third class customers out of people, depending on which ISP, how many are on with you or your distance from the exchange is not pleasing to anyone. Except maybe an Eircom customer in the back of beyonds living next door to an isolated and upgraded exchange!
    Time will tell, I suppose :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crownhill

I did not last
    UTV 2mb been good since last Thursday tonight at 20:33 broadband went down came back 1 min later but at a snails pace. This in my view was not an accident but yet nobody seems to know whats going on.

Unfortunately, similar story here. Had good speeds all weekend and for the earlier part of today, but has been going downhill since. Currently at 218 Kbps - granted, not AS bad as before and pages seem to load ok, but not a 2Mb package value.
    Got the 'phonecall' today and with all due respects to 'O' (the caller), who did a very good job, bless him, but the spiel is still the same as others have gotten. I thanked him for the courtesy of the call and he acknowledged that UTV could do better with information for their customers. Somehow, though, I get the impression that such knowledge will not be equitably shared any time soon!
    No offer of recompense or refund - and I waited deliberately to see if any was forthcoming. The engineers are still beavering away trying to find a solution - since I reported that my speeds were better, maybe they even HAD found the problem :p Hopefully, everyone here will still continue to keep the pressure on - if we're going to be bought off with 'nice' phonecalls, nothing will change.

byte

crownhill wrote: »
    I did not last
    UTV 2mb been good since last Thursday tonight at 20:33 broadband went down came back 1 min later but at a snails pace. This in my view was not an accident but yet nobody seems to know whats going on.
    I've noticed many nights, where my router would reboot between 8.30 and 9pm. I presume this is deliberately done by UTV.

When this happened you, I guess you now have been allocated a different IP, a crap one.

Tonight, for me, speeds haven't been too bad. In fact, it's not been too bad all weekend.

327497680.png

Speed a bit slower now, though was closer to the 3mbit mark a few hours ago. Pings are still poor though.

As an aside, I was contacted by phone by a UTV representative earlier today. It was a call similar ot the one that Deceifer got, though was told in my case, it could be an interleaving issue. Anyway, I have to keep him updated with speedtests, etc during the next few days. He has said he's monitoring this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I wonder how many of the people experiencing problems are new sign-ups? The netgear DG834G's that are being issued, while being pretty and functional, are the flakiest routers I've ever come across. If UTV are monitoring this thread, there is no harm in giving them more information when posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i was having problems last week and the week before, but since mid last week im back to normal, of course it may go crap again anytime, but seems fine so far, downloading @ 350kbytes/sec at 10pm there. Im on 4mb, downloaded Steam Crysis warhead 6 gigs or whatever in 4 hours on friday night @1am( i know they seem fine at weekends )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

crownhill wrote: »
    I did not last

Mine was the same, from Saturday midday until about then the speeds were fine a bit up and down but workable

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Well I might aswell jump in! I've been watching this thread for a while as my speeds have been abysmal for weeks too. I'm on the Roscrea exchange. Have been with UTV for ages and tonight for the first time in weeks I got these results:

327636337.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tradalai

I am doing a speedtest nightly around 7 to 9 PM and saving.

Speed on 3Mb varies from 700 to 2400 kb which is workable. Main issue is the lack of communication from UTV and total lack of consideration for customers.

I have requested a credit from UTV for all this time and they have asked me to indicate when the service is back. So as far as I am concerned this crap service is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i was having problems last week and the week before, but since mid last week im back to normal

Same here, thank god. I pity the people still having problem's.

byte

Mine is going even better tonight.
    327987330.png

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.131] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=120

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.131:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 83ms, Average = 68ms

C:\Program Files\mIRC>ping boards.ie

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 48ms

Pings particularly are much improved. Half the ping time to BBC than it was yesterday.

And mine isn't :(
    I'm getting so darned SICK of all this ... Clearly, we ALL can't get the 'good' speeds at once, so it's eeny, meany, miney, mo - whose turn is it for the 'almost dial-up' speed tonight :mad:
    812 ping :eek: - it took nearly 4 minutes to load and complete the first test.

327959492.png

328040992.png

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Mine is pretty good since upgrade in August, was on 3mb connection, upgraded to 7.6mb.

328062899.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it seems for some people the worst is possibly over, myself included. As it seemed last week, my speeds have been back up to ALMOST (You read this UTV, it still isn't as it was ok, so snap to it) pre-disaster levels and stayed steady since then:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/328082008.png

• Advertisement

I only use it weekdays in the evenings, and its not been great. Dropping/Stalling far to much. Speeds have slightly improved, but not anywhere near what it used to be.

328467352.png
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Hilary>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.131] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.58.224.131: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=120

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.131: