Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with UTV today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Still not great today - examples:

328474515.png

328409148.png

I've emailed the contact in UTV and have actively started looking for an alternative provider. I have a reply from Comreg - basically, it's up to UTV to resolve the matter - so why are they there then? They've escalated my complaint, though - so reassuring :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure about using any of the Eircom resellers - it looks like it's either Eircom themselves or a wireless provider. I've been in touch with Bluebox Broadband and I'm getting their blurb, but I know nothing at all about their service, so I'll have to do further investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

OK I know most people are in worse state than my stats but at same time I wasn#t happy...in fairness did come back...

Original mail to UTV...

Telephone #: 061xxxxx
    Account #: xxxxxxx

Measurements from http://www.speedtest.net/ and http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Issues:
    1. Broadband speeds fluctuating from <100Kps to 6Mb. This can fluctuate from over a few minutes. Average about 1.5Mbps last 3 weeks+. Supposed to be on 7.6Mbps download (originally 3MB package)
    2. Pings gone from less than 20ms average to 100+ms average (and on occasions no connection is possible)
    3. Quality of service gone from constant 100% to average 50%

As it stands due to the fluctuating service been received my broadband connection is totally unusable and had been hoping to use it for work.

I know you will reply that it is Eircom’s fault and you do not know when it will be resolved.

However, you are my provider and I expect a response with expected date when above issues will be resolved (i.e download speeds being consistently over 6Mb, 100% quality of service always &pings back at <20ms).

My line stats are good enough to support all the above and live well within 500 meters of the exchange...
    Line Attenuation 12.0db down and 4.5db up
    Noise Margin 13.1db down and 12bd up

This e mail will be used in future correspondence with comreg and/or any other actions I may have to take (e.g. changing providers within contract).

=========================================================

Response back from UTV exactly 7 days later...in fairness was a personla response...

Good Afternoon,

I am just following up on the broadband speed issue you have been experiencing lately.

Eircom have been working on this issue and, as of late last week, we have been informed that some work was carried out to try and resolve the issue. We've been in contact with a number of customers who have had speed issues and they are now reporting that the speed have improved.

Although we have not been provided with the all clear for the issue, I would like to find out if you have noticed any improvement with the broadband speed or if there is still an issue.

I also see that one of my colleagues has a telephone fault logged for you and she shall be following up on this as soon as there is any update.

In the meantime, if you can email me back to let me know how the broadband is working, that would be most appreciated.

Regards,

xxxxx
    ==========================================================

And lastly my response today...

Hi Patrick,

As per my original ticket...

1. Speeds Fluctuating between 100Kps and 6Mb. This has definitely improved and now usually ranges from 3Mb to 5.5Mb. Although not near the 7.6 Mb that should have came with the upgrade, I'll live with that.
    2. Pings are still poor averaging around the 90ms to 120ms range (granted more stable and not normally in 100's that it was). Would definitely prefer to see this lower for on line gaming and voip.
    3. Quality of service indicator (QoS) is still very poor and still averaging 50%

Phone fault looks like an internal issue on my wiring

So in a nutshell yes speeds do look more consistent but still having a bad problem with slow pings and poor QoS.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

I spoke too soon...

Patrick,

I take point 1 back...speeds have got a lot worse again tonight. Now at 500-1000kpbs for the last hour or so with QoS gone to sub <20% (as low as 5%) so no it is not fixed.

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mine still seem OK. Speedtest was over 3000kbps earlier, so is a bit slower now. But sites load as they should.
    328618730.png

328633860.png

222 little for this time of night on a 2Mb package -DEFINITELY NOT FIXED :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

ISOT wrote: »
    I have been having some terrible speed problems with UTV since they upgraded the local exchange about 6 weeks ago and my line was upgraded to 7MB.
    like other posters here, it was great for about 2 or 3 weeks but has gone to the dogs for the last two or so. A friend that is with UTV (on the same exchange) is having similar problems.
    On speedtest.net I am getting from 700kbps to 2000kbps download but I have never experienced slowness like this before ( even when I was on a 1 MB connection it was not a slow as what I have seen over the last two weeks.
    However, I have the exact same connection at work as I have at home ( which is literally across the road) and it is provided by eircom rather than UTV.
    There has been no speed issues with this connection whatsoever since the exchange was upgraded 6 weeks ago. This might indicate that there is an issue with utv themselves ( as reported in a previous post) or eircom are looking after their own lines better than the competition.

Of course, having just said all that , it is back up to proper speed for the last hour or so ! :confused:

It is almost a week since I posted (above) and the connection has been rock steady and up to proper speed ever since. Same for my friend ( utv customer also),
    Fingers crossed, it looks like they may have sorted out the issues, at least at our exchange (Westport).
    Funny how it "got fixed" just after I posted !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

must test mine one of these days, not been the fastest as of late :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

328633860.png

222 little for this time of night on a 2Mb package -DEFINITELY NOT FIXED :mad:

That is rough. Mine is improving, very slowly though.

328968997.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sully wrote: »
    That is rough. Mine is improving, very slowly though.

328968997.png
    What package are you on?

328934462.png
    328976856.png
    329079676.png

Just deteriorates more and more as the day goes on! A VERY brief stint of good speed early today gave me false hope :( I've been contacted by UTV to say that it may be an exchange issue. Is there anyone who can suggest a reason why this might be so? If there are simply too many people on it, is that curtains for any kind of improvement for me?
    I've been invited by Eamon Ryan, Minister for Communications, to participate in a forum about the next generation of broadband in Ireland. This happened as a result of me responding to a thread on here. Anyone got anything they'd like me to 'communicate' to the minister? I'm going to have me some fun complaining about Eircom, UTV, ComReg and anything else that I can come up with :p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

pixelburp wrote: »
    What package are you on?

7.6mb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

7.6mb
    Yikes, and getting those kind of speeds? Sorry for your trouble dude :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

329148975.png

Been pretty good for me recently. Also, they've been exceptionally good with the emails - following up on things and making sure eircom are behaving.

I emailed UTV a while ago to tell them that I am getting poor QOS, poor speeds and poor pings (proving my issue is far from fixed). It cant be a line problem, as I had about 6mb when the upgrades were completed initialy (and iv posted the results in another thread as proof). It seems some people are fixed and others are not. Was it Eircoms fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I emailed UTV a while ago to tell them that I am getting poor QOS, poor speeds and poor pings (proving my issue is far from fixed). It cant be a line problem, as I had about 6mb when the upgrades were completed initialy (and iv posted the results in another thread as proof). It seems some people are fixed and others are not. Was it Eircoms fault
    That answer has not been made available. We're all curious. Keep at it, and hopefully yours will be fixed soon.

Mine is behaving better, but as I told UTV, the overall QoS not as good as it was before July 26th. I also made it a point to say that I hope to see some further improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tradalai

South of Dub - For me looks like issue has been resolved.

This week down speed has been > 5Mb on 3 Mb service, up about 400k pings around 100. Performace is good.

I also note that UTV are now much better in responding to support issues and all in all I think this was / is an Eircom issue. Its a pity the regulator cannot sort out some decent service level agreement for Eircom.

Thanks UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭eddieoregan

U.T.V getting better In Cork
    329357462.png
    On the new 2mb (3Mb).

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Just deteriorates more and more as the day goes on! A VERY brief stint of good speed early today gave me false hope :( I've been contacted by UTV to say that it may be an exchange issue. Is there anyone who can suggest a reason why this might be so? If there are simply too many people on it, is that curtains for any kind of improvement for me?
    I've been invited by Eamon Ryan, Minister for Communications, to participate in a forum about the next generation of broadband in Ireland. This happened as a result of me responding to a thread on here. Anyone got anything they'd like me to 'communicate' to the minister? I'm going to have me some fun complaining about Eircom, UTV, ComReg and anything else that I can come up with :p:p:p

Would be great if you could hit out against line rental charges. Most expensive in Europe by a long long way.

Comreg need some power aswell. Right now they are just a nuisance to ISP's.

Waste of time giving out about line speeds I suppose. Market needs to be opened up and Eircons hold needs to be released.

Speaking of Eircom, I had a laugh when the chap at Alienware in Dublin said that Ireland has had great investment in broadband and the technology we have available to us is great otherwise they couldnt run their business. This was on RTE. Wonder who he gets broadband from? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭eddieoregan

I seem to be getting good speeds all day now, touch wood.
    on the new 2Mb (3Mb)
    329531844.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shotokan_IRL

I seem to be getting good speeds all day now, touch wood.
    on the new 2Mb (3Mb)
    329531844.png

Hi guys my average at the mo on Speedtest.net is between the 5 and 5Mbs on the 3mb package with the exchange upgraded to 7.6Mbs.

But when I use testmy.net I am still only seeing at best 1Mb peak times - can someone tell me which site is more accurate.:(

In my eyes the way the later works makes more sense, simulating download packages and gauging the time take to receive them - the fact the 500Kb package can sometimes be fast or slow or the following 1Mb the same suggest ping times are still screwy, is Speedtest.net hiding this fact somehow the way it operates? :confused:

I feel given my site access, download speed per files etc that testmy.net is definitely the truer picture - anyway to test their methods and prove which one we should be gauging from?:eek:

Speaking of Eircom, I had a laugh when the chap at Alienware in Dublin said that Ireland has had great investment in broadband and the technology we have available to us is great otherwise they couldnt run their business. This was on RTE. Wonder who he gets broadband from? :P
    I caught a moment of that piece too and was left wondering was I in the same country :eek: But then I realised he had an American accent and he was most likely based in Dublin - maybe picking up loads of grants from somewhere.

nacimroc wrote: »
    Would be great if you could hit out against line rental charges. Most expensive in Europe by a long long way.

Comreg need some power aswell. Right now they are just a nuisance to ISP's.

Waste of time giving out about line speeds I suppose. Market needs to be opened up and Eircons hold needs to be released.

There's a sticky thread now on the main Broadband forum with recommendations for Mr Ryan and the NGB talk shop on Tuesday in Dublin. If he listens to even half of what's been said by the very savvy people posting there in response, we can all sit back and wait for HUGE improvements :rolleyes: Well, a body can dream ....
    I will once again add my take to the Minister's discussion forum - ComReg, speed issues, lack of availability, Eircom monopoly. Like you said, line rental is probably not going to be an issue that will be addressed - shameful that we're most expensive in Europe though, I agree :(

330202700.png

My speed is good at the moment (wee small hours) and hasn't been too bad all day. I haven't been on much over the last couple of days, though, so I can't be sure how stable it's been. I've had another reply from UTV support, with the gist of it saying that as most people are having no further problems, mine must be a line or exchange issue???
    'Congestion' at the exchange level was mentioned in another thread as a possible reason for fluctuating speeds, especially at peak times. If there are just too many people sharing the bandwidth, whose problem is this? UTV, Eircom or just the luck of the draw? Is there a realistic limit as to the number of people that can share on any one exchange? Is this the 'contention ratio' that people talk about?
    Am I, therefore, up the Swanee if I want to use my broadband at normal times? :( Would I be better off on 1Mb rather than 2Mb, or would it just become exponentially worse? So many questions ... sorry! Would be very grateful for relevant info that would enable me to hold my own in the inevitable 'debate' with UTV over what should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tradalai

Speed on 3Mb service back to about 900k download. This issue is still not sorted out and I would say continue to test and inform UTV

Getting 33% of what I am paying for !!!

Am I the only one still having problems?

1478kbps download
    356kbps upload
    121ms ping
    < 50mi distance

We are supposed to be on the 7.6mb package (our exchange has been upgraded to ADSL2+). Still no word from UTV, emailed them again

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mine is still grand since last time I posted.
    334171666.png

However, the exchange I'm on has not been upgraded, thank God! Hope it remains that way, unless they use ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

mine seems to have returned to normal ever since my rant about leaving UTV ;)

334210544.png

Its odd as I got a better connection when the exchange was upgraded, then it went down hill and has remained much lower then speeds I used to be getting :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Speaking of Eircom, I had a laugh when the chap at DELL in Dublin said that Ireland has had great investment in broadband and the technology we have available to us is great otherwise they couldnt run their business. This was on RTE. Wonder who he gets broadband from? :P

corrected :)
    A big corp in Dublin, I'm sure they have a lovely fat net connection :)

Advertisement