Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good first car?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm thinking about buying my first car but I'm not sure what to go for.
    I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good model.
    I'd like a Japanese, RWD (for drifting) car, not with a huge engine and not something like a micra.
    I wanted a Trueno but they're imports...:(

I'd appreciate any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

first car + RWD isnt really a good combo id say!! if u dont want an import ur fairly limited on the RWD front anyway!

I would always suggest gettin something fairly small (1.3ish) for a while then buy bigger if u want!! ive seen ppl buy stupid cars as their first cars (type r tegs etc.) and they just dont respect the power/speed!

as you havent mentioned what kind of license you have, how many years you've been driving, have you had previous insurance policies etc its very hard to give you some suggestions!!!

Im just gonna say i wouldnt recommend a RWD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭duffhead1010

I've only just got my full licence.:( 1.3 sounds good, I know what you mean about RWD, but I read that it's best for drifts, but I should listen to the experts:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Look..most honest thing you've going to hear is this, For your first car, drifting should be the very last thing on your mind.

Get something cheap and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Gonna have to agree. Wait a while before it. Tbh, if you can, get a second crappy car for learning to drift in (Legally, on private property or something)..

And afaik its nearly impossible if not seriously hard to drift a FWD car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Dont go for something over 1.4 anyway, I know a guy who had a si as his first. Its not like he couldnt drive its just that he didnt respect the power it had and let the car get damaged, Plus uv to think about insurance and tax and petrol...

• Advertisement

You guys are right...
    So anyone know any good safe japanese cars, with a 1.4 engine or less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

umm, Honda Civic perhaps:rolleyes:

Bobo78 wrote: »
    umm, Honda Civic perhaps:rolleyes:

toyota corolla..... easier to insure, not as easily robbed and a brilliant little all round car!!

I started out with a 1.3 corolla, imported a 1.5 DOHC MX3 and now i have a 2l V6 mivec FTO! :D

Ur better off gettin something ****ty first cause ul always have a few little tips while parking and that at first!

there are PLENTY of great little jap cars that are easy to insure, cheap to tax and run that will be perfect.
    doesnt really matter what u get to be honest, 99% of ppl dont keep their first car long anyway so no point spending a fortune on it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mazda 323f, faultlessly reliable and still a good looker.

Thanx for that miss enzo, the 323f sounds good too.
    Does anyone know if the ae86 trueno was released in europe? Probably called Carolla.
    I doubt I'd get a honda civic however.

• Advertisement

Ya there are irish cams! (ie non-jap imports!) and yes they are called corolla cams!

Nice and all as it would be to get a cam as ur first car they are hard to insure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, i wouldn't advise you buy a car just on the basis that you want to drift, you'll see either find the car rapped around a poll in some car park or find yourself off the road for dangerous driving imo.

Buy something like a g6 corrola hatch. 3 doors, 1.3 sporty looking, elec windows and sunroof. Alloys and the lot. Keep it for a few months, practice your driving, and then buy something a bit more powerful when the insurance calms down a bit.

The g6 is a pretty good car, so I'll consider that.
    Why are the cams so hard to insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Because of the rep they hold, the fact that the are rwd and fairly powerfuly. They just treat it as some old 1.6 corolla lol

Because of their nature..

seriously, I'm seeing nothing but bad for your future in driving.

Sure you're not the same guy who wanted an rx7 as his first car?

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Because of their nature..

seriously, I'm seeing nothing but bad for your future in driving.

Sure you're not the same guy who wanted an rx7 as his first car?

Don't be ridiculous:rolleyes:
    I've been driving for a year, an rx- 7 is way to powerful, not to mention expensive for me.
    Sorry if I want to be original and not buy a punto or civic. :p
    It's not like I'm going to drift in the middle of the day on a public road, although It's fair to assume that.
    Miss enzo do you know what the twin cam carolla's are called? I'd really like to cneck them out. Dunno bout buyin 1 tho...

they're called twin cam corolla's ironically enuf! :D or irish cams!
    from what i understand (and i dont mean to offend anyone here by sayin this) but according to some ppl the irish cams aint as good as the jap ones!

Something makes me completely agree with that!:D

Sorry if I want to be original and not buy a punto or civic. :p

So ya wanna buy a jap RWD car instead..

uh huh..I see how it's so much more original.

you're gonna kill yourself in a RWD car.

Just out of interest, what did you learn to drive in and do your test in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Gonna have to agree. Wait a while before it. Tbh, if you can, get a second crappy car for learning to drift in (Legally, on private property or something)..

And afaik its nearly impossible if not seriously hard to drift a FWD car.
    I remember seeing a video of a guy in japan who competes in drift comps in an FWD EF Civic, he was pretty much on the handbrake the whole time lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

There is some sound advice here. I would say its not surprising that noone is suggesting a rwd to you.

Drifting requires a lot of skill, have you ever tried it in any car?
    I would say that since this is your first car maybe you should get a fwd and become fully comfortable in getting to be in complete control of a car in lots of situations.

I'll hold my hand up and say I've nearly been caught out in my 2 fwd cars on ice and wet corners with the back slipping out, and on a powerful rwd you need to have developed the skill to handle this.

I'd say you'll get sick of drifting pretty quickly too! Not much advantage to it and its not good for your car, not to mention the cost of tyres!

I'll make one suggestion to you if you MUST have a rwd. I'm not into japs much so I'll say an e36 coupe, maybe a 316i or a 318is if insurance isn't too bad for you, BMWs aren't generally loaded too badly.

Other suggestions here are good too however, a G6R would appeal.
    Other japs could include the 1.6 Impreza if you want something sporty looking, or perhaps a 1.3 lancer.

Why does it have to be japanese? You watching the fast and the furious a little bit too much?

ClioV6 wrote: »
    So ya wanna buy a jap RWD car instead..

uh huh..I see how it's so much more original.

you're gonna kill yourself in a RWD car.

Just out of interest, what did you learn to drive in and do your test in?
    It's original compared to what my mates drive. :rolleyes: I'm gonna learn to drive a rwd eventually anyway so I might aswell start with something small-ish. I learned and did my test in my da's mazda 323, which has a 1.3 engine. Someone's very pessimistic...
    Anyway what's your authority on rwds? Do you own one? Have you ever owned one? Have you even driven one?

well i have an opinion on rwd's since my fellas has an RX7 and belive me rwd aint easy! ive been drivin since im 18 (24 now) and i was havin a bit of bother holdin the arse in comin off roundabouts!!! and no i wasnt even tryin to throw it out before u ask!

FWD is grand u can put the shoe down and keep straight, in a RWD coming out of a bend if u give too much shoe the arse will step out! and its easier than you would think to lose control of it!!

plus who cares what ur mates drive! doesnt matter what car u get someone will always get the same!! i got an MX3 cause i thought they weren't that common... oh how wrong i was!!! have an FTO now and even tho i see less of them i still see them more than id like too!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Actually, if you're serious about the drifting thing - a 318i would be perfect to start with. Oh an regards the cost of tires for it, if you can pick up a spare set of alloys (or two), arrange to take the semi-worns off your local tyre dealer - they're fine for drifting in, and you can change the tyres back for normal use :)

Well I learned on a japanese car and I never really thought about getting a bmw. I should have said this before, but the real reason I wanted a rwd is because my cousin let me drive his silvia and taught me a bit about drifting and I thought "This is for me."
    Don't insult me with your fast and the furious crap, that's got f**k all to do with the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Well I learned on a japanese car and I never really thought about getting a bmw. I should have said this before, but the real reason I wanted a rwd is because my cousin let me drive his silvia and taught me a bit about drifting and I thought "This is for me."
    Don't insult me with your fast and the furious crap, that's got f**k all to do with the cars.

Jaysus calm down there lad, no need to get insulted, no insult was ment, only trying to help.

You should of just said the real reason from the start, otherwise people are going to think your getting ahead of yourself with no experiance!

Just because you learned on a jap doesn't mean you can only drive them ;)

Nothing wrong with them either by the way, they just don't float my boat.

I'll stand by my suggestion of a 316i/318is, as challangemaster has agreed.
    I think it would be perfect balance of power/reasonable insurance for a first rwd car.

Actually, if you're serious about the drifting thing - a 318i would be perfect to start with. Oh an regards the cost of tires for it, if you can pick up a spare set of alloys (or two), arrange to take the semi-worns off your local tyre dealer - they're fine for drifting in, and you can change the tyres back for normal use :)

Listen and learn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

yeh the 316 would be good as youre first rwd............theyre good looking too

but I still think you should get fwd..............you might say to yourself you want the power and the driftability(not a word).........but inexperienced you could easily end up in a ditch............plus if you start of in something smaller youll always respect the power and how much better youre car handle etc in comparison to others

why not just buy a fwd and get youre cousin to give you a bit more experience

theres also the fact youll find it very hard to get insured on a hachi-roku

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What is your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Would you not just get a normal car that you could insure for reasonable money. You have to learn how to walk before you take up gymnastics.

Most rwd cars especially those with a little power and no traction control will punish you sevearly for being rough with the throttle and brake work.

When you have a little experience go to tramp drift by a rotten sierra or volvo (weld the diff) and have your fun in that. At least if you bend it itll be on private property.

see:http://www.trampdrift.com/ (when they eventually fix there databse)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Mate i'd listen to the advice your getting on here, if you do buy a twin cam corolla i'd expect you to be selling it pretty quick cause you won't get insured on it even though it has a smallish engine. Like most rwd cars it will be classed to insurers as a sports car and you'll find it hard to get insured without 3 or 4 years ncb.

Advertisement