Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good first car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭duffhead1010

So I guess that's settled it, I won't be gettin' a rwd for a few years. Can people still suggest a good 1st drift car? The Bmws are pretty cool but I still want to know if there's better one's to be had.
    Thanks so far.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Nearly any rwd nissan would be a good choice, butagain what is your budget?

4000 euro.

is insurance included in that?

God no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

How about if you buy a good first car something 1.4, 1.3 and then keep on to a few bob and if you have any big enough yard or a friend has one you could buy a cheap rwd car like a omega or sierra and practice your drifting there, At least that way you wont kill yourself or someone else trying to drift on a main road.

My friend has a yard and he bought a omega its a mv6 3.5L ex English cop car:D and we go out there the odd time and do a bit of drifting and its a laugh and its more importantly safe and not putting anyone else at risk of injury.

Yeah, the rwd won't be my first car, and I'll be able to improve on that number by then. I check out those cars. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I won't be gettin' a rwd for a few years. Can people still suggest a good 1st drift car?

Do you actually know what drifting is?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you actually know what drifting is?

Yes, It's gearing down into a bend so your rear wheels can slide, helping you get out of turn quicker.
    Did you think I meant I was getting a fwd for drifting? I didn't, I meant I was going to get a rwd car eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well that answers that one.

Lol. Please actually try that. Downshift into a bend.. you'll be in a ditch faster than you realise. If it was as easy as getting a RWD car and downshifting into a corner, everyone would be at it professionally.

Do you just expect once you downshift that the cars weight will automatically go, or are you waiting for the drift fairies to do that one for you? Sorry bud, but you'll have to actually cause the back to kick out. I suggest you look up drifting techniques.

Pulling the E-brake is the most common and probably easiest drift technique to get right starting off, as its where everyone starts. The only other really beginner technique there (which i'd suggest for after you've gotten the hang of E-brake drifting) would be powersliding. Seriously, I'd reccomend doing a drift course with somebody, maybe prodrift? Please do some sort of reading up before you attempt drifting. You will probably kill yourself otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

Seriously, I'd reccomend doing a drift course with somebody, maybe prodrift? Please do some sort of reading up before you attempt drifting. You will probably kill yourself otherwise...

agreed!!!

I explain myself wrong once again!
    I know you have to brake and make the car slide.
    Right here goes again,
    You downshift into a turn, pulling the break or the handbreak ( It varies from person to person) , cause the car to slide and turn the bend, then bring the rear of the car back to where it was before.
    Do people not have any faith in anybody on this forum?

Anyway thanks for those beginner drifts.

No offence duffhead1010, just the thoughts of a learner driver coming sideways towards me on a bend scares me.

As suggested, maybe get some lessons and see if this is for you.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No offence duffhead1010, just the thoughts of a learner driver coming sideways towards me on a bend scares me.

As suggested, maybe get some lessons and see if this is for you.

Be very afraid! lol
    Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I explain myself wrong once again!
    I know you have to brake and make the car slide.
    Right here goes again,
    You downshift into a turn, pulling the break or the handbreak ( It varies from person to person) , cause the car to slide and turn the bend, then bring the rear of the car back to where it was before.

Anyway thanks for those beginner drifts.

Its your supreme confidence in yourself that worries me.

Take it from me i was 25 before i drove anything with poke and rwd. I had killed 3 cars with mileage(since 18) and the car scared me so much on the first day that i thought very seriously about selling it.

If you do splash out and pay the massive money for a twin cam and the massive insurance i hope you have a very level head or on a wet day youll just be that tiny bit two eager on the throttle leaving a roundabout and you better know what to do. It only takes a fraction of a second or the tinyes misjudgemnt of how smooth the tar is.

It happend to me on a number of occasions and i knew how to recover the car without overcomposating.

These cars do not tolerate fools and catch very experience drivers out all the time fact.

Ye i do, but not when someone wants to buy a car for drifting as there first car. As said to you already go get some real lessons on drifting, its not as simple as you make it sound as as Colm says none of us want to meet a young lad coming towards us sideways learning to drift, when he doesn't even know how to drive:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Lads..in fairness I think we know what type of person duffhead is.

And they're not going to care how much advice is given..they want to drive a drift car laaaad.. :rolleyes:

good luck with your driving life..cos god knows you're gonna need it.

as for your questions btw, Yes I have drove many RWD cars, I have lost control of many, I have never owned one and don't plan on owning one for many years. They are raw machines and as said..they do not tolerate fools.

Its your supreme confidence in yourself that worries me.

Take it from me i was 25 before i drove anything with poke and rwd. I had killed 3 cars with mileage(since 18) and the car scared me so much on the first day that i thought very seriously about selling it.

If you do splash out and pay the massive money for a twin cam and the massive insurance i hope you have a very level head or on a wet day youll just be that tiny bit two eager on the throttle leaving a roundabout and you better know what to do. It only takes a fraction of a second or the tinyes misjudgemnt of how smooth the tar is.

It happend to me on a number of occasions and i knew how to recover the car without overcomposating.

These cars do not tolerate fools and catch very experience drivers out all the time fact.

Yeah, but then again I'm not gonna buy one for a long while yet, and I doubt I'll buy a Twin Cam, but I think I have the cop-on not to boy-race with it. Do you mind me askin' which car you got?

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Lads..in fairness I think we know what type of person duffhead is.

And they're not going to care how much advice is given..they want to drive a drift car laaaad.. :rolleyes:

good luck with your driving life..cos god knows you're gonna need it.

as for your questions btw, Yes I have drove many RWD cars, I have lost control of many, I have never owned one and don't plan on owning one for many years. They are raw machines and as said..they do not tolerate fools.
    Really I've learned alot from these posts and i now know not get a rwd til i've got alot more experience.
    Sorry if I was over-confident, but I didn't cop-on straight away. Thanks

Mate its good to know you or hope you do have the cop on not to go for a rwd car as a 1st car, learn how to drive for a good few years efore you hop into a rwd car. I have a n/a mr2 myself, great handling car in the dry and even wet but if i abuse it at all it kicks, screams and bites me in the ass. Its not fun!

We're only giving friendly advice, A nice little Sir Civic or something would be perfect, lovely car. Rwd jdm car isn't the best thing in the world. Maybe a Toyota Levin could be your 2nd car. Keep the drifting to the track or go to Tokyo:)

• Advertisement

To Tokyo then!:pac:
    I've nearly made up my mind on which car to buy, I've narrowed it down to 3, a mazda 323f, a mazda mx-3 or a mitsubishi lancer. They're all pretty cheap (under 2 grand). The engine sizes are 1.5, 1.5 and 1.3 respectively.
    Anyone know which'd be best?

Out of those i'd say the Lancer, i would go for someting more reliable like a Corolla or Starlet, they'll go forever without giving any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

i'd agree, mitsubishi lancer is a nice car. reliable, great first car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Mitsubishi Mirage coupes!

i have one. great car.

get a manuel one! engine sizes are: 1.3, 1.5 & 1.6 mivec. get a 1.3 manual one. about the same performance as a 1.4 civic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ottostreet wrote: »
    Mitsubishi Mirage coupes!

i have one. great car.

get a manuel one! engine sizes are: 1.3, 1.5 & 1.6 mivec. get a 1.3 manual one. about the same performance as a 1.4 civic.

Great car?

lol..come on!

EDITED: and you have no basis for thinking the mirage would be as quick apart from thinking that the manual would be far far quicker than the automatic ..which...it probably isn't..and the engine doesn't have 90 odd horse power either! that's the 1.5 engine!

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Great car?

lol..come on!

Yeah, all the looks of an Asti Mivec, and the performance of a 1.4 Civic.

Rush out and buy one! (automatic if possible)

Advertisement