Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No dial tone on phone...but have broadband

Options
  • 05-09-2008 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to have broadband working ok but have no dial phone on phone due to a line issue?

Have tried a couple of phones and sockets combinations but cannot get a dial tone for life or money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

I had the same problem with BT. They wouldn't investigate it unless I got someone in to check out my internal wiring first. I wasn't willing to do this so I had no phone line for three months. When my local exchange was upgraded, it fixed the problem and the phone came back to life.

Keep reporting it though, otherwise they are likely to record it as resolved as soon as they stop hearing from you, even if they were the ones to tell you to go away. At least that's what they did in my case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

higster wrote: »
    Is it possible to have broadband working ok but have no dial phone on phone?
    Yes.

Take a multimeter to the pins and check if you have a DC voltage of about 50V across the middle two.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Do you have a filter on the line?

I had this problem when i first got broadband. I could get bb but no dial tone. Being with eircom i rang them and they sent out a replacement filter and this one worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

In my case what happened was BB worked, no dialtone BUT when I dialled a number from a line-powered (as opposed to 230V ESB powered phone) I could hear it dialling, it tied it down as a prob with eircom's exchange. Same idea as jmmcrohan's getting at. I eliminated potential for dodgy wiring internally by disconnecting everything but the main socket.

Prove this point to eircom, and they should fix it for you as it's a prob with their voice plant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What do you mean by a 230V phone? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

a phone that doesn't get its power from the eircom line. A cordless phone for example doesn't. Or any phones with batteries (SMS phones, answering machine phones)

Dardania wrote: »
    a phone that doesn't get its power from the eircom line. A cordless phone for example doesn't. Or any phones with batteries (SMS phones, answering machine phones)
    Oh right yea. :)

I didn't know what you were trying to describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Thanks lads. Tried "corded" and wireless phone.
    Tried at the main eircom socket. Tried different filters.
    Tried with broadband wireless off.

It faulted out a couple of days ago but came back on. Don't have a multimeter so can't give that a go.

Saw eircom van at exchange today (its within sight of my house) so me thinks something to do with that.

I'm with UTV :o and are supposed to come back to me tomorrow.

Think I'll just tell them I had internal wiring checked and go from there...

higster wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Tried "corded" and wireless phone.
    Tried at the main eircom socket. Tried different filters.
    Tried with broadband wireless off.

It faulted out a couple of days ago but came back on. Don't have a multimeter so can't give that a go.

Saw eircom van at exchange today (its within sight of my house) so me thinks something to do with that.

I'm with UTV :o and are supposed to come back to me tomorrow.

Think I'll just tell them I had internal wiring checked and go from there...
    There generally is a good few vans at each exchange.

Are you talking about the sub exchange in many housing estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Yes,
    It is possible to have broadband with no dial tone. The two wires that make up your telephone line need to be intact and continuous from your socket to the exchange in order for your phone to work. Your phone needs 48 volts to ring so testing across the two wires is similar to testing across the poles of a battery. Remove one of the wires the voltage disappears
    However if only one wire is continuous your BB will still work but maybe a bit slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Its a local village exchange (fairly large building). Anyhow dial tone back working grand this morning.

Advertisement