Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New commer to IT certs.

Options
  • 05-09-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello,

I've finished school now :D and am attending Senior College Dun Laoghaire, and it is a one year course, as part of this I get the following qualifications:

CompTIA:

A+
    Network+

FETAC:

Computer Architecture & Systems
    Computer Programming
    Web Authoring
    Database Methods
    Start Your Own Business
    Communications
    The Internet
    Work Experience

I'm wondering are these qualifications good at all, is there much job prospects with them?

I originaly wanted to study Computer Science in DIT, but was a grade off of getting a place there, There still a chance I can study there if I get 5 distinctions in the FETAC course, is this a difficult task, has anyone here any experience with the FETAC qualification, or the comp TIA for that matter?

Thanks for reading,

Tim :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

I would recommend visiting the CAO website and looking for the Vacant Places list.
    Get on a proper course that gives proper qualification even if it is a level 6. You can still do this.
    After the level 6 course is complete and you have good results you can transfer back to DIT (or any other IT) once you are in the system it is easy
    I did it that way.
    Honestly, that course looks like a waste of time.
    Sean
    Tim131 wrote: »
    Hello,

I've finished school now :D and am attending Senior College Dun Laoghaire, and it is a one year course, as part of this I get the following qualifications:

CompTIA:

A+
    Network+

FETAC:

Computer Architecture & Systems
    Computer Programming
    Web Authoring
    Database Methods
    Start Your Own Business
    Communications
    The Internet
    Work Experience

I'm wondering are these qualifications good at all, is there much job prospects with them?

I originaly wanted to study Computer Science in DIT, but was a grade off of getting a place there, There still a chance I can study there if I get 5 distinctions in the FETAC course, is this a difficult task, has anyone here any experience with the FETAC qualification, or the comp TIA for that matter?

Thanks for reading,

Tim :)

who_am_I? wrote: »
    I would recommend visiting the CAO website and looking for the Vacant Places list.
    Get on a proper course that gives proper qualification even if it is a level 6. You can still do this.
    After the level 6 course is complete and you have good results you can transfer back to DIT (or any other IT) once you are in the system it is easy
    I did it that way.
    Honestly, that course looks like a waste of time.
    Sean

These are your options at the moment:
    Level8
    CORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
    CR106 Software Development
    CR111 Computerised Instrument Systems
    CR116 Software Development and Computer Networking
    DUBLIN CITY UNIVERSITY
    DC120 Enterprise Computing
    DC121 Computer Applications
    DUNDALK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
    DK820 Computing in Games Development
    DUBLIN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
    DT081 Computer & Communications Engineering
    GRIFFITH COLLEGE DUBLIN
    GC430 Computing Science
    NAT. UNIV. OF IRELAND,GALWAY
    GY406 Electronic and Computer Engineering
    NAT. UNIV. OF IRELAND,MAYNOOTH
    MH301 Computer Engineering
    TIPPERARY INSTITUTE
    TI015 Computing - Software Development
    TI018 Computing - Games Design and Development

LEVEL 7/6
    ATHLONE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
    AL022 Business Computing
    AL047 Computer Network Administration
    DUNDALK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
    DK721 Computing (incorporating 3 award options)
    DUBLIN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
    GRIFFITH COLLEGE DUBLIN
    GC435 Computing
    GC440 Computing
    PORTOBELLO COLLEGE, DUBLIN
    PB205 Business Studies (Computer Applications)
    INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, SLIGO
    SG136 Computing - Software Development
    SG137 Computing - Systems and Networking
    SG138 Computing - Database Management
    TIPPERARY INSTITUTE
    TI003 Computing
    TI006 Computing (IT Support)
    TI009 Computing
    TI016 Computing - IT Support
    TI104 Information Technology - Creative Multimedia
    TI114 Information Technology - Creative Multimedia

Pick a proper course

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I'll be able to get into any of the level 8's as I only have 295 points, and only 1 Hc3.

as for level 7/6 I live in Wicklow so wouldn't be able to get to any of the colleges there, except for Griffith, which is fee paying, and cannot afford. And potebello is more business so it wouldn't really suit me. :(

Thanks though.

Your Points Dont matter, All of these courses have empty places and should take all qualified applicants.

Look at DCU again.

And DIT

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

who_am_I? wrote: »
    Your Points Dont matter, All of these courses have empty places and should take all qualified applicants.

Look at DCU again.

And DIT

cheers man, I'll look at the DIT one, there is some stuff there that interests me, and some that don't (eg. maths and physics type classes)

And do you know if you can get excepted without evening obtaining the nesecarly grades?

Edit - ok cool, I did that, put DIT as my number 1 :D now I wonder if it isn't the course for me can I change to different courses like comp sci or computing.

• Advertisement

If you dont meet the minimum standards then it can be tricky, But not impossible.

Advertisement