Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs & Socs fair - Arena, Wednesday week 1, 6-9pm

Options
  • 05-09-2008 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Just a bit of pimpin'!

For everyone out there (especially the newbs), the clubs and socs recruitment fair will be taking place on Wednesday of week 1 (that's next Wednesday for those not adjusted to 'UL time' yet) in the Arena from 6pm-9pm

Over 60 clubs & socs plus the Students' Union will have stands set up showing off their stuff and signing up new members.

Great way to meet people and get involved in an activity you like...

Come along...you could do far worse things this year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hows that soap box going for ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

kaimera wrote: »
    Hows that soap box going for ya?

to be fair, that was actually useful information so :p to you. Just letting people know, especially the firsties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I'll definately be going to this. :)

Everyone's been saying to me to join a club or society as it's supposed to be great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

to be fair, that was actually useful information so :p to you. Just letting people know, especially the firsties.
    For the last time...not interested :P to you

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Just a bit of pimpin'!

For everyone out there (especially the newbs), the clubs and socs recruitment fair will be taking place on Wednesday of week 1 (that's next Wednesday for those not adjusted to 'UL time' yet) in the Arena from 6pm-9pm

Over 60 clubs & socs plus the Students' Union will have stands set up showing off their stuff and signing up new members.

Great way to meet people and get involved in an activity you like...

Come along...you could do far worse things this year!

I'll be there with the drama soc so make sure to come along, We are doing lots of exciting stuff this year, considering we're hosting the Irish Student Drama Association Festival next April

I'm one of their technical co-ordinators / sound engineer - Make sure to come over and say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

The guy in the Student's Union tour said we should bring some money because some clubs need money for insurance. How much should I bring?

So much to do next week.

- Register online.
    - Choose my electives for HPSS. (No idea which)
    - Get books and crap.

The guy in the Student's Union tour said we should bring some money because some clubs need money for insurance. How much should I bring?

So much to do next week.

- Register online.
    - Get books and crap.

It depends on the club/society you're joining. It's for insurance cover, basically. Societies are usually €3-€5 each and clubs are €5-€10, so depending on how many you're joining....! But realistically, you'll only have time to commit properly to about two, so choose wisely!

Electives for HPSS...I majored in history and minored in Public Admin and Economics... I did politics in first year... Choose history only if you're prepared to do the work! Public admin is a fairly straightforward module; economics - if you did it at Leaving cert level and liked it I'd recommend doing it; otherwise it could be tricky...

Books... try second hand book shop in the SU. Also, for HPSS, you don't really need to 'get' books. You don't really have just 'one' core text for any module (except maybe economics); the nature of the entire degree is that you become well read and read a wide range of literature. The library is your friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

It depends on the club/society you're joining. It's for insurance cover, basically. Societies are usually €3-€5 each and clubs are €5-€10, so depending on how many you're joining....! But realistically, you'll only have time to commit properly to about two, so choose wisely!

Electives for HPSS...I majored in history and minored in Public Admin and Economics... I did politics in first year... Choose history only if you're prepared to do the work! Public admin is a fairly straightforward module; economics - if you did it at Leaving cert level and liked it I'd recommend doing it; otherwise it could be tricky...

Books... try second hand book shop in the SU. Also, for HPSS, you don't really need to 'get' books. You don't really have just 'one' core text for any module (except maybe economics); the nature of the entire degree is that you become well read and read a wide range of literature. The library is your friend. :)

Have to agree with BlueDolphin here, i spent money on books last year that i never even read, come to thing of it i have one here i didn't even open

Leave the books sit for a week or so - you'll be able to judge what you need better then, as regards clubs and socs join 1 or 2 and you'll be grand

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Thank Jebus.

I wanted to join a few but I was worried I had to pay something like €30+ each.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm thinking for clubs I'll join the Skydiving and the Kayaking
    and possibly the music society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking for clubs I'll join the Skydiving and the Kayaking
    and possibly the music society

**Ahem**

See here before making a decision about which type of music soc as hopefully there'll be 3 by next year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055201363

Also, don't forget the politicos will be there.

Just as well you're only doing Business, cos if you were doing anything more time consuming those 2 would be right out the window.

Brian Crowley MEP will be at the Ógra Fianna Fáil stand for about an hour on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

So much to do next week.

- Register online.
    - Get books and crap.
    Don't forget to eat. And sleep. I sometimes do.

sceptre wrote: »

What, you sometimes forget or you sometimes actually do those things?

ninty9er wrote: »
    **Ahem**

See here before making a decision about which type of music soc as hopefully there'll be 3 by next year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055201363

Also, don't forget the politicos will be there.

Just as well you're only doing Business, cos if you were doing anything more time consuming those 2 would be right out the window.

Brian Crowley MEP will be at the Ógra Fianna Fáil stand for about an hour on the night.
    Ya I was actually really suprised at the amount of hours there are in the business course, (and only like 3 hours of german).

Maybe its so short because some other colleges are able to fit it into a 3 year course.

I'll check out them all wednesday night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

sceptre wrote: »

You forget to sleep. YOU! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ya I was actually really suprised at the amount of hours there are in the business course, (and only like 3 hours of german).

Maybe its so short because some other colleges are able to fit it into a 3 year course.

I'll check out them all wednesday night.

Well you are only doing 3 and a half years plus 1 semester Co-Op.

UL is just a learn smart, not hard type of university.

Your cousre is by far superior to the one I'm finishing, though there's still a lot of weeding out to be done. There's no reason you couldn't have the majority of professional accounting exams encompassed in the course for example. Particularly given the practical element.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Join UL GSoc. We're tremendous fun. [shinning]Come play with us....[/shinning]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i shouldbe there for the skydive club

gotta sort out my mess that is on campus accomodation first though

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

So what societies did people sign up for?
    I signed up for Skynet, Games(/Anime/RPGs) and Archery.
    Was going to sign up for Chess, but it's on at the exact same time as games (which is on at the same time as one of two Archery times).

On a semi-related note: Cosplay is awesome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

On a semi-related note: Cosplay is awesome.

Just one step away from furries ladies and gentlefolk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Peteee wrote: »
    Just one step away from furries ladies and gentlefolk!
    Oy! Forgive me if I was happy to see Haruhi cosplay when I was wearing a haruhi shirt :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Signed up for Chess/Computers/Gaming and Pulse/An Focal

I'm such a geek :D

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i shouldbe there for the skydive club

gotta sort out my mess that is on campus accomodation first though

Do you know if the thing on Monday is necessary to attend? I might have to miss it due to another meeting,is it just an introduction to the club or what's the story?

its not compulsory but id advise it you will be told alot

one thing not to be missed is the night out next week

It's basically just an intro to the positioning,equipment and all that stuff so? I most likely won't be able to get out of the other meeting unfortunately,I must try and find out about it later.I've done a small bit of indoor skydiving before so I know the positioning,have no idea about anything else though.I'll try and make that night next week anyway.

it has nothing to do with your training for your actual skydive its just an introduction to the actual club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

If anybody was looking for Kickboxing and MMA at the fair, we weren't there. The club should be running at normal times within a week or 2.

Joined up to Skydiving and Kayaking, both look like great clubs.
    Thinking about joining outreach.

Joined up to Skydiving and Kayaking, both look like great clubs.
    Thinking about joining outreach.

you better be coming out on monday with the skydivers so gonna be a big night and there will be free drink (woohoo no alcohol policy) and finger food in mollys no less

i love kayaking just not a massive fan of the club

while i dont have a charitable bone in my body(i know my limitations give me some credit :o) i know one of the girls who is big into outreach and they seem like a really cool club that do a great job

• Advertisement

ya thanks mate, I'm definitely heading to molly's monday night with the skydiving club, love that place.

Went to the the kayak meeting in the sports bar wednesday, seems like a cool club but its early days yet.

Advertisement