Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for insulting behaviour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

people slag off other people's posts/opinions all the time on boards; as long as it's not directly aimed at the poster there's nothing wrong with it.

the remark in question wasn't aimed at the poster so I fail to see why an infraction needed to be given? excessive moderating imo.

edit: having said that it's only an infraction. no bid deal; don't make a 'storm in a teacup' as another poster said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

people slag off other people's posts/opinions all the time on boards; as long as it's not directly aimed at the poster there's nothing wrong with it.

the remark in question wasn't aimed at the poster so I fail to see why an infraction needed to be given? excessive moderating imo.

edit: having said that it's only an infraction. no bid deal; don't make a 'storm in a teacup' as another poster said.

I agree to extent. But the issue of warning was inconsistant and was given with little direct reason even when I asked the moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Am I the only one who thinks this fight is choreographed and faked? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Hagar wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this fight is choreographed and faked? ;)

+1 like the ...uh...wrestlin....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Can we get back on topic please?, as opposed to pointing out the blatantly obvious.
    kthxbye
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just out of interest Rovert, if you feel that you do nothing wrong why do you think that so many posters have a problem with you?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just out of interest Rovert, if you feel that you do nothing wrong why do you think that so many posters have a problem with you?

See other thread in Feedback, Ive outlined that in detail. I just want to deal with matter at hand here to be honest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364818

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hagar, I'm calling you out for making that comment before I could. Get your hairy ass over here right now - I've already opened the can.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Hairy arse indeed !!!
    I'll have you know paid I €22.50 for a Hollywood on Tuesday in Betty's Bottom Boutique in Moore St.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thank Austin 3:16 that some hulkamaniac is finally seeing sense and this rockbottom thread is open to some stonecold trolling from the rest of us.
    Say your prayers, take your vitamins and believe in yourself kids.
    Peace out rovert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 iTroll

rovert is a person too.

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I didn't give an infraction

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fozzy wrote: »

Storm in a teacup teaspoon, tbh!

Pardon?

You've yet t give a reason why this in particular was worthy of an infraction either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

rovert wrote: »
    I agree to extent. But the issue of warning was inconsistant and was given with little direct reason even when I asked the moderator.

Hi. Frequent wrestling lurker here.

As a mod I hand out warnings to people when I want them to curb their behaviour but I don't feel they deserve an infraction or a ban. It's a favour tbh. It's like saying "Hey dude, this way of acting is not on, could you pack it in before I have to get serious".

I can only assume the same as Fozzy. Given your recent history in the forum, he is simply pointing out calling a post dumb is inflammatory and doesn't help the forum.

You still have access and in a weeks time no one will even see the warning existed.

So suck it up, realise he's actually trying to help and move on, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

SDooM wrote: »
    So suck it up, realise he's actually trying to help and move on, tbh.
    Agreed.

When a whole forum was frilling apart at your wrath, people refusing to read it, a moderator lost in direction as to what to do, and a general moody atmosphere, it really proves nothing.

Fozzy was, not only trying to get his forum back together again, he was also trying to give you a hint, and just saying that maybe your passionate attitude on the forum was affecting other users.

As for leninbenjamin and the rest of the people who believed that an infraction was too heavy, i don't believe that it was caused by any direct action by rovert, but only that his behavior was helping absolutely nobody, and his behavior led to a slightly less relaxed atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I want 10 mins of my life back after reading this!

You were warned. It's not a ban so count yourself lucky. You sound childish arguing with others about why they didn't get infracted. Maybe they did but that doesn't concern you unless they come on to feedback to complain about it and seek attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I want 10 mins of my life back after reading this!

You were warned. It's not a ban so count yourself lucky. You sound childish arguing with others about why they didn't get infracted. Maybe they did but that doesn't concern you unless they come on to feedback to complain about it and seek attention.

Here's your ticket for reimbursement, please consult your parents for the means to redeem this.

Take the warning, its nothing major.

Blowfish please read up on how infractions work, this was a warning not an infraction, yellow card and all. Some people consider a pm an easier way or warning or a post in the thread where behaviour got out of hand but an warning via the infraction system is perfectly suitable also. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Blowfish wrote: »
    In fairness to rovert, you did.

As R0ot said, that's a warning. An infraction is a red card. I didn't see rovert's post until the second time that I had looked at the thread and I didn't see the point in giving a warning in the thread when I'd already posted on it before
    You've yet t give a reason why this in particular was worthy of an infraction either.

I've tried to. You haven't accepted it. Don't call people's posts the dumbest idea that you've ever heard and you won't have to go starting Feedback threads

Read SDoom and nevf's posts too

jaffa20 wrote: »

I took this to feedback after I tried a number to get a reason for the warning been issued. From the outset I’ve told Fozzy I just wanted resolved as fast as possible. So my actions aren’t childish. Your comment about me being childish is probably worse than what I got warned for. All I’m asking is for some consistency here.
    R0ot wrote: »
    Blowfish please read up on how infractions work, this was a warning not an infraction, yellow card and all. Some people consider a pm an easier way or warning or a post in the thread where behaviour got out of hand but an warning via the infraction system is perfectly suitable also. :D

The warning is the infractions section of my user profile, how is it not an infraction if it is labelled so?
    I've tried to. You haven't accepted it. Don't call people's posts the dumbest idea that you've ever heard and you won't have to go starting Feedback threads

The main reason you gave me for issuing me with a warning for insulting behaviour after much unnecessary prompting was that:
    You called someone's idea probably the dumbest idea you've ever heard. I'm sure that you've heard some dumb things in your life and there's no need to post like that

So is over exaggeration and hyperbole banned on boards? Ill point out again that I did say it was PROBABLY the dumbest idea Ive ever heard, I didn’t say it WAS the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. There is a pretty major difference and it seems I’m getting punished as if I said the latter. Even if I did say it was the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard, I am talking in the context of a possible Pro Wrestling match in a Pro Wrestling forum.

• Advertisement

So is over exaggeration and hyperbole banned on boards? Ill point out again that I did say it was PROBABLY the dumbest idea Ive ever heard, I didn’t say it WAS the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. There is a pretty major difference and it seems I’m getting punished as if I said the latter. Even if I did say it was the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard, I am talking in the context of a possible Pro Wrestling match in a Pro Wrestling forum.

Dude. This is serious nit picking.

You behaved in a way which would aggravate other posters. The mod simply asked you not to.

There's nothing more to this than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

its only a warning!

Dude. This is serious nit picking.

You behaved in a way which would aggravate other posters. The mod simply asked you not to.

There's nothing more to this than that.

Explain how this serious nit picking, what I wrote was not outside the bounds of reason. Id like you to address what I actually wrote.
    its only a warning!

Fozzy explained that he could only warn me so many times before Id get banned. Id like as little warnings as possible if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

Fozzy explained that he could only warn me so many times before Id get banned. Id like as little warnings as possible if that is the case.[/quote]

behave so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Nail on head. You do it all the time. The fact that there's infinitely more petty fighting since you have started posting regularly is certainly not a coincidence and you're making Fozzy's job alot harder. Also, bringing this to feedback without even PMing him first is just bad ettiquette

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Nail on head. You do it all the time. The fact that there's infinitely more petty fighting since you have started posting regularly is certainly not a coincidence and you're making Fozzy's job alot harder. Also, bringing this to feedback without even PMing him first is just bad ettiquette

One of the reasons why there has been a lot more petty fighting is that people like you (and Ill back up my claim if you what) dont bother to read my posts. Ive already said a number of times in this thread that Im PM'd Fozzy a number of times including the in the original post. As per usual you are joining the pile on.

Explain how this serious nit picking, what I wrote was not outside the bounds of reason. Id like you to address what I actually wrote.

Fozzy explained that he could only warn me so many times before Id get banned. Id like as little warnings as possible if that is the case.

*facepalm*

I will say it again.

You behaved in a way which was inflammatory.

You were warned- not infracted, warned- that this was the case.

Fozzy confirmed this is the case.

Word playing that something is probably the dumbest thing you have ever heard is still just word playing.

My advice? Try to post without saying things like "Thats dumb".

You have an impressive knowledge of your field rovert and your posts are very interesting. however, others who do not do not deserve to be be referred to as dumb. If you were to ask me about guitars, kettles, or computers and said something i disagreed with, I would never refer to it as dumb.

The statement you made was inflammatory, likely to start of more arguing, and this is bad FOR THE FORUM.

You can say anything you want but Fozzy's loyalty has to lie with the future of the forum, and to make it grow. Your behaviour in that one post was counter to that, but not enough to be banned.

You can chase in circles all you like around the semantics of how you said the post was maybe perhaps possibly kinda dumb but it doesnt change the core point:

You were told not to behave in a way which is inappropriate to the forum it was done in. You were done in a way which has no temporary or permanent effects on the way you can use the forum. There is nothing to argue over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

*facepalm*

I will say it again.

Word playing that something is probably the dumbest thing you have ever heard is still just word playing.

You have an impressive knowledge of your field rovert and your posts are very interesting. however, others who do not do not deserve to be be referred to as dumb. If you were to ask me about guitars, kettles, or computers and said something i disagreed with, I would never refer to it as dumb.

The statement you made was inflammatory, likely to start of more arguing, and this is bad FOR THE FORUM.

You can say anything you want but Fozzy's loyalty has to lie with the future of the forum, and to make it grow. Your behaviour in that one post was counter to that, but not enough to be banned.

You can chase in circles all you like around the semantics of how you said the post was maybe perhaps possibly kinda dumb but it doesnt change the core point:

You were told not to behave in a way which is inappropriate to the forum it was done in. You were done in a way which has no temporary or permanent effects on the way you can use the forum. There is nothing to argue over here.

Thank you SDooM, you put it better than I ever could.

All I'm asking rovert is for a bit of common courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

R0ot wrote: »
    Fair enough, haven't had any myself so didn't realise the difference :)

• Advertisement

*facepalm*

I will say it again.

I would have no problem with this if Fozzy and the other mods were more consistent in doing this. Calling an idea dumb isn’t inflammatory if someone presents a case which categorically states which if proves that the idea is totally dumb. An idea which could cost a company millions of dollar is in fact dumb in my opinion. Which I did in fact do. I’m not using semantics or going round in circles. Id actually like you to again actually address what I actually wrote in post#52, as I do think it is reasoned and rational.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement