Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for insulting behaviour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Bombidol needs to go. He is a terrible moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Bombidol needs to go. He is a terrible moderator.

Whats that got to do with anything :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    This thread should've stopped with Sdoom's last post on page #4.
    It's just been childish since then.

It's been like watching a footballer argue with a ref. His mind is made up and you're not going to say anything that's going to give him some divine awareness to your cause at this stage. Take the booking, don't let it get to you, play your game.

Surely we can leave it at this?

I'll refer you to post #118, when I started this thread I would not have believed that Id be saying that line.:eek: There is a number of reasonable questions which I continue to pose which have not been answered, eventhough Ive been asking them since Friday and after 124 posts.

P.S. From the very outset I said I wanted this resolved as quickly as possible. If you are going to reply to this thread please at least respond to post #118 and tell me where Im going wrong, if Im going wrong instead of just saying how long this thread is or personally insulting me, thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

rovert wrote: »
    I'll refer you to post #118, when I started this thread I would not have believed that Id be saying that line.:eek: There is a number of reasonable questions which I continue to pose which have not been answered, eventhough Ive been asking them since Friday and after 124 posts.

And yet it still hasn't hit you that maybe, just maybe, you're the one who's at fault? You got a warning, a yellow card, possibly the least significant little trifle of attention you could have been afforded. That doesn't seem to bother you. Instead, you're trying to be a back-seat mod by insisting that a similar "punishment" should have been issued to another poster.

As for post #118, I think it's your own misunderstanding that's causing difficulty. Here is what LZ5by5 said
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    If you think I am getting any kind of satisfaction out of this you are badly wrong.

Here is your #118 reply. *
    rovert wrote:
    How did I get it badly wrong, exactly? You are the one over exaggerating here again, something you reported me for. If I got it as badly wrong as you say I have I would held my hands up. The same way I did over my confusion over who reported me.

He simply said that he is not taking any kind of enjoyment out of this debacle. If, hypothetically, you had thought otherwise (i.e. that he found this ridiculous debate fun) then you would have been wrong. You used only one question mark in #118, and it was in that quote up there. If that's the big important question you want answered then you're wasting your time: you've asked a question completely irrelevent to the point LZ5by5 posted.
    rovert wrote:
    From the very outset I said I wanted this resolved as quickly as possible.
    As for this, I think mehfesto put it best when he said
    It's been like watching a footballer argue with a ref. His mind is made up and you're not going to say anything that's going to give him some divine awareness to your cause at this stage. Take the booking, don't let it get to you, play your game.
    GET OVER IT. You're losing more sympathy with every hour this thread lives.

*incidentally, there's no need to use the word "over" when using the word "exaggerating"; it's implied in the latter anyway. Sorry, tautology is a pet hate of mine!

An Fhile wrote: »
    And yet it still hasn't hit you that maybe, just maybe, you're the one who's at fault?.

Let me repeat yet again I’ve admitted fault on my side in the misunderstanding with Fozzy on who reported me in the first place. I’ve not problem admitting fault. But on being reported for saying someone's idea as dumb I’ve yet to here a solid reason why this is personally insulting and grounds for a warning, even stepping outside my own shoes. I attacked the post not the poster, simply speaking.
    You got a warning, a yellow card, possibly the least significant little trifle of attention you could have been afforded. That doesn't seem to bother you. Instead, you're trying to be a back-seat mod by insisting that a similar "punishment" should have been issued to another poster.

No I’m not, I moved on from that I’ve already held my hands up if you read the thread. That was a result of a miscommunication between the mod and myself. Yet again I’m repeating myself here.
    As for post #118, I think it's your own misunderstanding that's causing difficulty. Here is what LZ5by5 said

Here is your #118 reply. *

He simply said that he is not taking any kind of enjoyment out of this debacle. If, hypothetically, you had thought otherwise (i.e. that he found this ridiculous debate fun) then you would have been wrong. You used only one question mark in #118, and it was in that quote up there. If that's the big important question you want answered then you're wasting your time: you've asked a question completely irrelevent to the point LZ5by5 posted. ]

I was referring the points I made in that thread which I only asked people to reply to. I didn’t ask people to answer any questions specifically:
    If you are going to reply to this thread please at least respond to post #118 and tell me where Im going wrong, if Im going wrong
    As for this, I think mehfesto put it best when he said GET OVER IT. You're losing more sympathy with every hour this thread lives.]

How can I get over it when:
    Labelling someone’s idea dumb and giving reasons why shouldn’t be seen as incitful, rather it should viewed as discussion. Which I’m thinking is becoming an increasingly alien concept here. This warning has left me total ambiguity on what is and isn’t permissible to say.

Let me state my position yet again this isn’t about the severity of the warning it is about why it was issued in the first place. This warning has left me confused about the rules of boards and I wish to get some clarification so I can move on and GET OVER IT. This isnt childish it is a legitmate enquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

But on being reported for saying someone's idea as dumb I’ve yet to here a solid reason why this is personally insulting and grounds for a warning, even stepping outside my own shoes. I attacked the post not the poster, simply speaking.

You fail to realise that you could have said that in a much more pleasant maner such as 'I completely disagree with your point/idea' instead of referring to it as dumb, which has the potential to start arguments and upset people. Personally I wouldn't have warned you but I can fully understand why you were warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I think that there's nothing beneficial going to come from this thread being left open. I think everybody's had their say and while we disagree about smaller issues, I think we can all agree that this issue had blown WAY out of poportions. It was a warning. We've all been there. Sure I've been banned from forums for less, but you get on with it.

Personaly Rovert, I think if you're going to argue with the Mods about how he does his business then maybe you shouldn't post there anymore. I mean, it's not like there's a lack of PW forums on the internet. I don't think you have to agree with the views of other posters, but I do think you have to respect the views of the Mods.

Lock thread?

You fail to realise that you could have said that in a much more pleasant maner such as 'I completely disagree with your point/idea' instead of referring to it as dumb, which has the potential to start arguments and upset people. Personally I wouldn't have warned you but I can fully understand why you were warned.

But I did explain why it was a dumb idea. Any idea which would cost a company serious money is a dumb idea in the strictest meaning of the word along with not giving the optimum return for fans. This wasn’t a moralistic discussion like the Benoit thread for example were there was two schools of thought. Ly5by5’s idea was an abjectly bad one which he him has distanced himself from and Fozzy has also admitted that it was a bad idea. Again I said the idea was dumb not the poster, there is no ambiguity there. Yet I received a warning because the post was personally insulting.

dancor wrote: »
    Whats that got to do with anything :confused:

Bubs101 wrote: »
    TBH, I think it's about time PW got a 3rd mod in Vince90210. It's a busy forum with one lurker mod (Bombidol) and one great mod in Fozzy, but in the past few months there has been so much back and forth crap going on between Rovert and virtually every other poster at one stage or another that it's become a forum where another mod is certainly needed

This.

I think that there's nothing beneficial going to come from this thread being left open. I think everybody's had their say and while we disagree about smaller issues, I think we can all agree that this issue had blown WAY out of poportions. It was a warning. We've all been there. Sure I've been banned from forums for less, but you get on with it.

Yes this has been blown out of proportion. Again this isn’t about the severity of the warning it is the rationale behind the warning and whether is it actually merited. This warning has lead to confusion on my part on what is permissible on boards.
    Personaly Rovert, I think if you're going to argue with the Mods about how he does his business then maybe you shouldn't post there anymore. I mean, it's not like there's a lack of PW forums on the internet. I don't think you have to agree with the views of other posters, but I do think you have to respect the views of the Mods.

I’ve never had any problems with mods in the past, why should one incident colour my entire experience? How can I respect a view when it is unclear to me and which seemingly goes against the rules of the site? Hence why I started this thread.
    Lock thread?

All I want answered is the following why did a get a warning for personally insulting another poster when I only insulted their point, isn’t the key rule here attack the post and not the poster? Can someone give definitive clarification on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All I want answered is the following why did a get a warning for personally insulting another poster when I only insulted their point, isn’t the key rule here attack the post and not the poster? Can someone give definitive clarification on this please?

It was given by me and also by Fozzy a few pages ago. But your ignoring the point.

You got a WARNING for your posting style which was considered inappropriate in the forum. The WARNING was seen as a tip, a heads up, a nudge to the side,a wink or whatever way hints are given to warn you that particular posting style is what gets people disliking you.

Take the advise. Move on.

Note: As has been said by me and Fozzy, the "infraction/warning" which was given was titled "Insulting Other Members". It has been agreed this was the incorrect "infraction/warning" and should have been another term. Regardless, the point being stressed in the "infraction/warning" is above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

This.

You use a quote that goes against your own idea :confused:

dancor wrote: »
    You use a quote that goes against your own idea :confused:

The message I was conveying was that while Fozzy does a good job as moderator, Bombidol sits in the shadows and in my opinion doesn't do a good job. Should have made that clearer. :)

All in all I would say this has been the greatest meltdown since Hellbilly's exit from the IWW boards all those years ago. Thank you rovert, and goodbye.

Sully wrote: »
    It was given by me and also by Fozzy a few pages ago. But your ignoring the point.

You got a WARNING for your posting style which was considered inappropriate in the forum. The WARNING was seen as a tip, a heads up, a nudge to the side,a wink or whatever way hints are given to warn you that particular posting style is what gets people disliking you.

Take the advise. Move on.

Note: As has been said by me and Fozzy, the "infraction/warning" which was given was titled "Insulting Other Members". It has been agreed this was the incorrect "infraction/warning" and should have been another term. Regardless, the point being stressed in the "infraction/warning" is above.

I didn’t ignore it; I have acknowledged that point previous posts. Going by my PMs to Fozzy, the warning seemed to stem from the actual language of the post I used over the style that is where my confusion is coming from. Even he said he had trouble explaining it in a PM. I still see nothing wrong in calling some else’s idea dumb stylistically or otherwise if there is more than a reasonable reason to do so. If people dislike me for disagreeing with them, then it says more about them then it does me. We all have dumb ideas, so why is it insulting to point it out to people when someone has one? Can I continue calling people’s ideas dumb if it is warranted and the operative word? Is this rule carried across all forums on boards.ie or does it only relate to the Pro Wrestling (it isn’t in the charter)?
    All in all I would say this has been the greatest meltdown since Hellbilly's exit from the IWW boards all those years ago. Thank you rovert, and goodbye.

How is this a meltdown, exactly? Outside of LZ5by5's rhetoric (his own words btw) it has been fairly calm considering Ive had to repeat myself over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

How is this a meltdown, exactly?

We spend more time talking in here than we do in PW.
    :pac:

We spend more time talking in here than we do in PW.
    :pac:

Erm, I made a post in that section as I thought we could resolve it there and then before going to Feedback, I never want this to go to Feedback btw. Fozzy disagreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

TBH, I think it's about time PW got a 3rd mod in Vince90210. It's a busy forum

I appreciate the vote of confidence if you're referring to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I didn’t ignore it; I have acknowledged that point previous posts. Going by my PMs to Fozzy, the warning seemed to stem from the actual language of the post I used over the style that is where my confusion is coming from. Even he said he had trouble explaining it in a PM. I still see nothing wrong in calling some else’s idea dumb stylistically or otherwise if there is more than a reasonable reason to do so. If people dislike me for disagreeing with them, then it says more about them then it does me. We all have dumb ideas, so why is it insulting to point it out to people when someone has one? Can I continue calling people’s ideas dumb if it is warranted and the operative word? Is this rule carried across all forums on boards.ie or does it only relate to the Pro Wrestling (it isn’t in the charter)?

How is this a meltdown, exactly? Outside of LZ5by5's rhetoric (his own words btw) it has been fairly calm considering Ive had to repeat myself over and over.

How many times do I have to say this to you rovert?

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, the world would be pretty dull if I came across nothing but yes men. I have told you more than once that it is your manner in speaking to people that I don't care for. I've had my disagreements with VR but I have no problem with the chap because he use's a bit of class and respects his fellow posters when having a calm discussion.

And before you say it, no I do not have a vendetta against you rovert. As I've said before it's been months since I've gotten into a petty argument with you as I respect the hell out of you for your knowledge of the business. And I have defended you against other posters. Now, does that sound like someone who has a vendetta against you? I'd love nothing more than to have a calm discussion with you rovert as I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge that I would benefit from.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    How many times do I have to say this to you rovert?

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, the world would be pretty dull if I came across nothing but yes men. I have told you more than once that it is your manner in speaking to people that I don't care for. I've had my disagreements with VR but I have no problem with the chap because he use's a bit of class and respects his fellow posters when having a calm discussion.

And before you say it, no I do not have a vendetta against you rovert. As I've said before it's been months since I've gotten into a petty argument with you as I respect the hell out of you for your knowledge of the business. And I have defended you against other posters. Now, does that sound like someone who has a vendetta against you? I'd love nothing more than to have a calm discussion with you rovert as I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge that I would benefit from.

Sorry for the shortness of my reply but im heading up for some pre-PPV sleep. All Ill say is that you generalise too much about how I conduct myself when posting. I do use "a bit of class and respects his fellow posters when having a calm discussion" the vast majority of the time.

What in specifcally this:
    As it is a nothing show. While having Taker and HHH in the same ring for a long time in a ****ty scramble is probably the dumbest idea Ive ever heard. Same story to a far lesser extent with Show.

Made you report me exactly?

Sorry for the shortness of my reply but im heading up for some pre-PPV sleep. All Ill say is that you generalise too much about how I conduct myself when posting. I do use "a bit of class and respects his fellow posters when having a calm discussion" the vast majority of the time.

What in specifcally this:

Made you report me exactly?

• The first thing that annoyed me was your previous comment "Because the show lacks depth? JUST A GUESS" Why did you put the last part in capitals? To be patronising? Or were you just being sarcastic? But I let it go.
    • What offended me about the above quote was simply that part where you said "simply the dumbest idea I've ever heard". If you disagree with something then cool, but I found the way you put it as rubbing me up the wrong way. As someone said already, could you of not put it a bit better, I mean in a way that wasn't so rude?
    • Bear in mind, that this is how so many arguments have started with you and other posters, rudeness and "rubbing people up the wrong way". You were asked to knock that style of posting on the head before, why do you continue to post like that anytime you come across something you don't like?
    Can I ask you a question? Why do you think you've been involved in so many arguments rovert? I mean as I said I've had disagreements with the very knowledgeable VR, but things have never got heated. It can't just be a case of posters getting angry with you because you quite obviously know more than them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I appreciate the vote of confidence if you're referring to me!

I am. The forum is getting really really unruly at the moment because of all the arguments that Rovert is having and another mod is needed to clamp down some what. At this rate the forum is going to the dogs and if it weren't for the Draft I would have been put of all together. I know I'm not the only one who thinks that there should be a second active mod and I would certainly think it would help if said mod new as much as Rovert did. Your the clear candidate if there's a place.

Alternatively, could just make VR a mod, get him to permaban Rovert and then strip him of his modship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I am. The forum is getting really really unruly at the moment because of all the arguments that Rovert is having and another mod is needed to clamp down some what. At this rate the forum is going to the dogs and if it weren't for the Draft I would have been put of all together. I know I'm not the only one who thinks that there should be a second active mod and I would certainly think it would help if said mod new as much as Rovert did. Your the clear candidate if there's a place.

Alternatively, could just make VR a mod, get him to permaban Rovert and then strip him of his modship

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't ditched the forum already. Its part of the reason as to why there have been no new podcasts in ages. I'm hoping the fantasy league will keep me hanging in there, but I'm not counting on it!

• The first thing that annoyed me was your previous comment "Because the show lacks depth? JUST A GUESS" Why did you put the last part in capitals? To be patronising? Or were you just being sarcastic? But I let it go.
    • What offended me about the above quote was simply that part where you said "simply the dumbest idea I've ever heard". If you disagree with something then cool, but I found the way you put it as rubbing me up the wrong way. As someone said already, could you of not put it a bit better, I mean in a way that wasn't so rude?
    • Bear in mind, that this is how so many arguments have started with you and other posters, rudeness and "rubbing people up the wrong way". You were asked to knock that style of posting on the head before, why do you continue to post like that anytime you come across something you don't like?

*You were asking a pretty obvious question if you don’t mind me saying and yes it was sarcasm. If you watched Smackdown or read the spoilers you would that this was most assuredly the case.
    * I'll continue to say that we all have dumb ideas, why are you different. I dont see how someone can be rubbed up the wrong way by that if I gave my reason for doing so. The way I phrased it was no worse than the rhetoric you've posted in this thread.
    * What I don’t like is people posting for unreliable sources when they have been told by myself and mods to stop doing so numerous times. I can only be accused of start or looking for arguments relative the amount of unprovoked attacks on me or people looking for an argument off me hence why when I have they have been so notable. My posting style is similar to VRs, even VR has mentioned that in the past. I would argue that I’m more helpful to posters in general than he is, the whole knowledge thing aside.
    Can I ask you a question? Why do you think you've been involved in so many arguments rovert? I mean as I said I've had disagreements with the very knowledgeable VR, but things have never got heated. It can't just be a case of posters getting angry with you because you quite obviously know more than them.

I haven’t been involved in many arguments of the past month or so, so you are generalising about my conduct on the forum. Prior to that arguments would start over people posting unreliable sources, paraphrasing what I and others said such as with Bubs who would get it arse about face or fight to death over not having to justify an opinion no matter how respectfully they were asked about it. Not to mention me having to repeat myself over and over to the same people about the same things.
    I am. The forum is getting really really unruly at the moment because of all the arguments that Rovert is having and another mod is needed to clamp down some what.

Bubs you are totally wrong here the forum has been quite outside of this incident for quiet some time now. You’ve lost all sense of proportion. Least we forget you were at fault in part for the unruliness of a couple of months ago as you instead of quoting from me and other directly you paraphrased what we said only to suit what you had to say.

VR, the same person who wished death on someone? That VR?
    Minto wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't ditched the forum already. Its part of the reason as to why there have been no new podcasts in ages. I'm hoping the fantasy league will keep me hanging in there, but I'm not counting on it!

I do remember you and VR saying a lot of kind things about me whether it is my knowledge or posting style etc. At one stage and not early on in my posting on the Pro Wrestling forum you asked me on your podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

why is this thread still going?

Bubs you are totally wrong here the forum has been quite outside of this incident for quiet some time now..
    I was never even close to being the mess it is now thanks to you
    You’ve lost all sense of proportion. Least we forget you were at fault in part for the unruliness of a couple of months ago as you instead of quoting from me and other directly you paraphrased what we said only to suit what you had to say.

Because I was arguing with you. Just like LZ5by5, Machismo Fan, VR etc. You are the common element yet you just seem so oblivious to it

I was never even close to being the mess it is now thanks to you

It isnt a mess now, look at the forum right now or how it has been in general for the past month + it is not a mess.
    IBecause I was arguing with you. Just like LZ5by5, Machismo Fan, VR etc. You are the common element yet you just seem so oblivious to it

Just because you are arguing with me doesn’t mean you can instead of quoting me and other directly you paraphrased what we said only to suit what you had to say. As that leads to more arguments as I attempt to correct you on what you posted I said which what I actually when for pages you wont listen to it. This happened numerous times. There are common elements outside of me in threads that have arguements, such as the one I pointed out about and LZ5by5 stating information from unreliable sources as total fact to back up his points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I am going to attempt to address Rovert's concerns. I hope I have understood them correctly.

Somebody reported a post. Fozzy deemed that the post could be seen as inflammatory, so he issued a warning. By his own admission he used the wrong heading for the warning, but he still stands by the warning.

In an attempt to get a rein on the forum Fozzy has said he is taking a harder line with people.
    This was a post that Fozzy may not have issued a warning for before the previous Feedback thread, but he now seems to feel it is better - for a short while at least - to be tougher with people. This is so that it is clear to all that anything that could be interpreted in any way as abusive is unacceptable.

This thread has getten silly since then with previous history being brought in by various people.
    For context. I myself received a warning for bringing a thread off topic by arguing with Rovert, but I have no axe to grind

It isnt a mess now, look at the forum right now or how it has been in general for the past month + it is not a mess.
    Not what I think and I'm not alone, Minto said that the state of the forum was the reason that there's no podcast and that the only reason he stayed around was for the draft

There are common elements outside of me in threads that have arguements, such as the one I pointed out about and LZ5by5 stating information from unreliable sources as total fact to back up his points.

You are the only one who takes umbridge with people posting from anything other than the Observer.

Just because you are arguing with me doesn’t mean you can instead of quoting me and other directly you paraphrased what we said only to suit what you had to say. As that leads to more arguments as I attempt to correct you on what you posted I said which what I actually when for pages you wont listen to it. This happened numerous times. There are common elements outside of me in threads that have arguements, such as the one I pointed out about and LZ5by5 stating information from unreliable sources as total fact to back up his points.

I didn't report you for that, you voiced your disdain for unreliable sources, fair enough. I have told you many times what posts I reported you for, which happened before I even posted the link, so don't try to say I got pissed off at you for dismissing my posting of unreliable sources. I PM'd Fozzy with the two quotes that annoyed me when I reported you.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    why is this thread still going?
    dub_skav wrote: »
    I am going to attempt to address Rovert's concerns. I hope I have understood them correctly.

Somebody reported a post. Fozzy deemed that the post could be seen as inflammatory, so he issued a warning. By his own admission he used the wrong heading for the warning, but he still stands by the warning.

In an attempt to get a rein on the forum Fozzy has said he is taking a harder line with people.
    This was a post that Fozzy may not have issued a warning for before the previous Feedback thread, but he now seems to feel it is better - for a short while at least - to be tougher with people. This is so that it is clear to all that anything that could be interpreted in any way as abusive is unacceptable.

This thread has getten silly since then with previous history being brought in by various people.
    For context. I myself received a warning for bringing a thread off topic by arguing with Rovert, but I have no axe to grind

Thank you for your even minded post. Not only did Fozzy give the wrong heading, I had to ask him numerous times via PM for just an explanation. By his own admission he had a hard time clearly justifying it. The rational for the warning has flip flopped between the language I used and my style, cumulative previous behavior to just one post. I am confused by it all, sorry.

Again I don’t think what I wrote was insulting or abusive. Again I was referring to an idea not a person. It was the operative word and there was a very good reason (which has been further validated last night at the PPV SPOILER ALERT!) why I said it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement