Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for insulting behaviour

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

An Fhile wrote: »
    Dumb:

Lacking the power of speech. Used of animals and inanimate objects.
    Often Offensive. Incapable of using speech; mute. Used of humans. See Usage Note at mute.
    Temporarily speechless, as with shock or fear: I was dumb with disbelief.
    Unwilling to speak; taciturn.
    Not expressed or articulated in sounds or words.

Dumb

1. lacking the power to speak
    2. lacking the power of human speech: the event was denounced as cruelty to dumb animals
    3. temporarily unable to speak: I was struck dumb when I heard the news
    4. done or performed without speech: I looked at her in dumb puzzlement

O.E.Dictionary definition :

1. a. Destitute of the faculty of speech.
    b. Applied to the lower animals (and, by extension, to inanimate nature) as naturally incapable of articulate speech. Esp. in phrases dumb chum, dumb friend, applied to domesticated animals

You used it incorrectly and in such a way that it may be seen as the spark to ignite the powder-keg. Just pick a new adjective in future and get the hell over it! :mad:

This ignores the context in which I used it in. The word has more applications than what is presented here.
    copacetic wrote: »
    agreed, I get the feeling the OP will keep rambling on until everyone changes their opinion to his or the thread is locked.

Im not rambling on rather Im just repeat myself over and over again. What Ive been asking has remained consistant.

You can lock the thread I’m still going to use the word dumb if it is the operative word and is merit and I will give an explanation when I do it. Anything which can lose a company millions of dollars IS a dumb idea and it will continue to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

rovert wrote: »
    Sorry if this is too "technical" for a non Wrestling fan:

Before I explain this situation I would like say as I’ve said in the past I think Fozzy does a great job as moderator. In my dealings with him he has always been consistant and fair.

Yesterday I received I warning over this message as it Fozzy deemed it to be insulting. Ive asked him a number of times why so but he did not give me a direct answer:

You stepped out of line and were acting the clown. You got dealt with and now I suggest you deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You can lock the thread I’m still going to use the word dumb if it is the operative word and is merit and I will give an explanation when I do it. Anything which can lose a company millions of dollars IS a dumb idea and it will continue to be.

Admitting in a feedback thread that you are going to ignore a warning from a mod because you don't agree with his definition of an insult?

Now THAT'S a dumb idea

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

So, basically, no matter what anyone says, you are in the right?

So, basically, no matter what anyone says, you are in the right?

Nah, I just want it locked.

But to be warned over calling an idea dumb and stating why definitively is ridiclous still in my opinion.

Lock thread plse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You were told post your post was out of line by a mod, got off with a warning.

You have two options:
    1) Amend your posting style and be able to take part in the forum

2) Carry on and ignore the warning which will in all likely hood esclate to your posting privleges being revoked.

Thats just the way things are, if you can't acept it then I suggest you find another online forum to post in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Thaedydal wrote: »

You have two options:

2) Carry on and ignore the warning which will in all likely hood esclate to your posting privleges being revoked.

Thats just the way things are, if you can't acept it then I suggest you find another online forum to post in.
    You're talking to a brick wall here. This guy needs a little break to get the message through.

You have two options:

Thaedydal seriously I did take it upon myself to change how people may perceive my posts weeks and weeks ago. This incident is an isolated one and not indicative of my typical posts, there was no malice it what I posted I just used most apt word to desicribe my view of somone's idea. I like it here and want to stay here but some members of the PW forum hold grudges against me due to a rep they have built up. I’m no saint but I don’t deserve what another mod pointed out which is co-ordinated attempts to get me banned.
    You're talking to a brick wall here. This guy needs a little break to get the message through.

I understand the message. It was the Fozzy the moderator's lack of clarity (which he admitted to) lead to my confusion and this thread. I tried to get it clarified via PM before making this thread but it didn’t work.

Please lock this thread

Thaedydal seriously I did take it upon myself to change how people may perceive my posts weeks and weeks ago. This incident is an isolated one and not indicative of my typical posts, there was no malice it what I posted I just used most apt word to describe my view of someone's idea. I like it here and want to stay here but some members of the PW forum holds a grudge against due to a rep they have built up. I’m no saint but I don’t deserve what another mod point out which is co-ordinated attempts to get me banned.

In your opinion you used an apt word but not in the mod opinion.

If you think that the mod is biased then I suggest you start a help desk thread, but you had best be prepared to back that up with citations and links.

I always find it funny that wrestling fans are such sensitive souls but as you said yourself there is tension between members on the forum and often when that happens a stricter hand is needed until things settle down again and become less heated.

Daft as a descriptive word tends to get people's backs up less then dumb.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This ignores the context in which I used it in. The word has more applications than what is presented here.
    The context in which you used the word is the exact reason for this absolutely mind-numbing waste of e-space. Sorry, thread. I could argue that your post is tangerine, and it would make about as much sense as your use of the word "dumb".

rovert wrote:
    Im not rambling on rather Im just repeat myself over and over again. What Ive been asking has remained consistant.
    Same thing, no?

This, simply, is Boards suicide.
    Thaedydal seriously I did take it upon myself to change how people may perceive my posts weeks and weeks ago. This incident is an isolated one and not indicative of my typical posts, there was no malice it what I posted I just used most apt word to desicribe my view of somone's idea. I like it here and want to stay here but some members of the PW forum holds a grudge against due to a rep they have built up. I’m no saint but I don’t deserve what another mod point out which is co-ordinated attempts to get me banned.

Once again, as has already been explained by moderators, lurkers and regular PW posters alike, "dumb" was not an appropriate word to use. I know it's probably the most innocent and childish form of derogatory comment, but it's still not cool to throw it around and expect everybody to like it.

• Advertisement

In your opinion you used an apt word but not in the mod opinion.

If you think that the mod is biased then I suggest you start a help desk thread, but you had best be prepared to back that up with citations and links.

I always find it funny that wrestling fans are such sensitive souls but as you said yourself there is tension between members on the forum and often when that happens a stricter hand is needed until things settle down again and become less heated.

Daft as a descriptive word tends to get people's backs up less then dumb.

I don’t think the mod is biased in the slightest. He does a great job, he just have one lapse in how he informed me about my warning.

Daft doesn’t have the descriptive power I needed IMO. I’m sorry if I lose you here but 5 years ago WWE split into two separate brands HHH and Undertaker have been position as the top talents on their respective brands. WWE has cashed on the majority of their possible matches. HHH and Undertaker is their last dream match to throw that away on a nothing show. Is dumb as could bring it millions in revenue on a larger show. Wrestling is indeed daft but the promotion of it is SERIOUS BUSINESS. :p

Lock thread please

Didn't loose me but I am aware just not tht intrested/passionate about it.

Wrestling is indeed daft

ROVERT! :eek:

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Where the hell did i come into this?!
    Fozzy, do you know if you or other mods warned Comic-Book-Guy for saying this to me:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56880492&postcount=16

As you can see by this thread, you dont take the term of Dumb too seriously.

orestes wrote: »
    Admitting in a feedback thread that you are going to ignore a warning from a mod because you don't agree with his definition of an insult?

Now THAT'S a dumb idea

i will take that question if i got an infraction or not WEEKS after it happened as a personal attack.

But i am not going to hold it against you or start accusing you of anything.
    It was weeks ago man, just drop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Minto wrote: »
    Yea, we did. You had copped yourself on for a bit and then you went back to your old ways and we both put you on ignore. Please don't ask me to quote the post, cos I've no idea where to look for it.

Yeah we invited you on because you'd stopped being smart-assed and abusive to people (us included), we figured it'd be a good move as no matter what you say (be it sincere or smary), people read it anyway, so it would have been good for the podcast, entertaining for the listeners and pretty much a fun hour recording it.

Little did we know we'd live to regret even asking, days later.
    This isn't gang up on rovert hour, but when you p*ss off nearly regular, when the subject matter arises like this, a revolt is bound to take place. You've brought this on yourself. In fact, days later you're STILL arguing with the mods (which incidently i've done so in the past, let me tell you from first hand experience, you're fighting a war you lost before it began), when you've been politely been asked to drop it.

I don't get it, sadly rovert, i don't think you do either.
    VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mounthill.jpg

This thread is beyond trivial.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ok hang on I think get it, this thread been a fake event designed to be an over the top spectacle to attract people into pro wrestling as it will seem believable in comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Nah, we know that pro wrestling is scripted. We're just hoping rovert is too, but somehow we're trying to deal with the realism that it is most definitely not the case.

After all, when we get tired of Pro Wrestling, we can just turn off the TV. We're still looking for the mute button for rovert!
    VR!

Yeah we invited you on because you'd stopped being smart-assed and abusive to people (us included), we figured it'd be a good move as no matter what you say (be it sincere or smary), people read it anyway, so it would have been good for the podcast, entertaining for the listeners and pretty much a fun hour recording it.

Little did we know we'd live to regret even asking, days later.
    This isn't gang up on rovert hour, but when you p*ss off nearly regular, when the subject matter arises like this, a revolt is bound to take place. You've brought this on yourself. In fact, days later you're STILL arguing with the mods (which incidently i've done so in the past, let me tell you from first hand experience, you're fighting a war you lost before it began), when you've been politely been asked to drop it.

I don't get it, sadly rovert, i don't think you do either.
    VR!

The fact is I do Ive asked politely numerous times that the thread be locked. Yet it remains open and people are still replying to it.

P.S. VR please take me off ignore as Im tired of you making the exact same points in that forum as I do just because you cant see them. Just mental ignore me if you are going to ignore me.
    Overheal wrote: »
    mounthill.jpg

This thread is beyond trivial.

No ****

Ok to clear up my point from before.

Rovert, i really don't know why you are asking if i got an infraction on calling your question dumb from weeks ago has come from.

I was quite shocked at that and was going to harmlessly look over this whole thread as i think you have been getting a hard time as of late, and i have even been getting along with discussions with you and quite enjoying them too..

But your question came out of nowhere.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371929&page=5

I will ignore what you said out of respect for you and the idea that there are loads of people that would rather pick an argument with you.
    But not me tonight.

• Advertisement

ok hang on I think get it, this thread been a fake event designed to be an over the top spectacle to attract people into pro
    wrestling as it will seem believable in comparison?

You may wana pick this up;

http://contentcafe.btol.com/Jacket/Jacket.aspx?SysID=buymusic&CustID=bt0109&Key=1573922064&Type=L&Return=1

Ok to clear up my point from before.

Rovert, i really don't know why you are asking if i got an infraction on calling your question dumb from weeks ago has come from.

I was quite shocked at that and was going to harmlessly look over this whole thread as i think you have been getting a hard time as of late, and i have even been getting along with discussions with you and quite enjoying them too..

But your question came out of nowhere.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371929&page=5

I will ignore what you said out of respect for you and the idea that there are loads of people that would rather pick an argument with you.
    But not me tonight.

It was more to do with principle of you calling me dumb, than an attack on you personally or your general behaviour. At the time of your post I thought using the word dumb to label an idea or question wasnt grounds to report someone. If I knew what I knew now I would likely reported you instead of just handling it in the thread. Anyway Ive moved on and I would like this thread locked please, thanks.

It was more to do with principle of you calling me dumb, than an attack on you personally or your general behaviour. At the time of your post I thought using the word dumb to label an idea or question wasnt grounds to report someone. If I knew what I knew now I would likely reported you instead of just handling it in the thread. Anyway Ive moved on and I would like this thread locked please, thanks.

Then why bring it up now?

Probably best to PM the mod of this board asking for El Locko (whoever that is, im not sure).

Probably best to PM the mod of this board asking for El Locko (whoever that is, im not sure).

There is a number of them.

There is a number of them.

Well just any/all of them, then. Its up to you. I doubt they'll be reading 14 pages of pro-wrestling arguing, so a PM seems more than likely the best option, or just ignore the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Id like to make my input into this thread..Comic-Book-Guy seems like a nice person and all but talks a lot of shít...Rovert is unfairly treated 90% of the time imo but his points can get on your nerves..Thats my input..........

callaway92 wrote: »
    ..Comic-Book-Guy seems like a nice person and all but talks a lot of shít...Rovert is unfairly treated 90% of the time imo but his points can get on your nerves..Thats my input..........

Very clever way to get a bit of profanity in here.

But what are you basing this on can i ask?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Comic-Book-Guy seems like a nice person and all but talks a lot of shít

That's something I'd like you to back up. Not that i'm saying he does or doesn't, but I don't think its fair to be so critical of a poster without any reasoning.
    Rovert is unfairly treated 90% of the time imo but his points can get on your nerves..Thats my input..........

Here's my thoughts on the Rovert scenario.

Rovert is not unfairly treated. Rovert gets the treatment that he brought on himself. I personally have nothing against the guy, but I can easily see why others would have problems with him.

I've come to the conclusion that Rovert will only be a pain in the ass if you let him be a pain in the ass. I had an argument with him before (if you could call it that) about WWE Anthology II. Thats it. Since then I don't think I've had any trouble with him (and I hope he can say the same for me). I haven't put him on Ignore, I havent went out of my way to stop talking to him and I havent went out of my way to specifically talk to him.

However, when i do start to slide into a small argument with him, I make my points and leave it at that. Other people make the mistake of going around in cirlces with him. Here's an example:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371929

However, here's what happens when you don't let that happen;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363450&page=9

(I'm just talking about the interaction between myself and Rovert).

See? A little back and forth discussion. No posts made out of pure rage or hatred (at least not on my side of things).

I said before that i just think Boards.ie is a little too relaxed for Rovert. I think he likes having someone come out and challenge him on something he says. It doesn't happen on boards, so he quotes and challenges other people's thoughts.

As for this thread, and the warning, I think the warning is justifiable, as Rovert's style of posting is very in-your-face and direct, which sometimes comes across like he's belittling the person he is talking to. I don't know if he means to do this, but I feel the warning is justifiable. As Fozzy said, insulting members wasn't the best written reason to give the warning, but the warning does have a purpose.

As for Fozzy, I feel sorry for him. He gets a lot of crap for not doing anything about Rovert and a thread goes to feedback. Then when he does do something about Rovert, a thread goes to feedback. Seems like he can't win. I do like Fozzy though, and hope he stays as mod for a long time to come. He's a very friendly guy. He doesn't make you feel alienated or anything when you first join up (as mods do on other forums i've been on). He's very welcoming and seems to be a genuinely nice guy all the time.

• Advertisement

This going round in circles independent of my input.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement