Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a 2nd Car

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Thinking of buying a 2nd car for rare use. Looking at a corrado, either the vr6 or the G60. Im just wondering what the implications for insurance are? Can you have mutliple policies? If so, would it be considered a first time driver with a new policy for the car?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes you can get a second policy but you will start with a zero NCB on it as you can only have your NCB on one policy afaik.

If you are only using it for weekends, etc then you may be able to get slightly cheaper insurance for limited mileage. Worth asking the insurance company about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You might be able to insure the Corrado on a classic policy. If you've full NCB, a limited mileage 3rd party classic policy would cost very little

Links to companies that offer classic insurance can be found in the sticky in the classic cars forum. Go and find out and let us know!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

unkel wrote: »
    You might be able to insure the Corrado on a classic policy. If you've full NCB, a limited mileage 3rd party classic policy would cost very little

Links to companies that offer classic insurance can be found in the sticky in the classic cars forum. Go and find out and let us know!

Thats my exact thinking! :D Worst case scenario if I got a 1990's one, it'll at least hit the 20 years limit by 2010. Tax on a 2.9L for just a runaround maybe fairly high! I know classic insurance can be done no probs from 20 years on. But tax...I shall scope it out and come back! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I'm a Corrado fan myself, looking for a 2.0 16v though as it would be my daily driver. Are you thinking of buying in UK or here? Seem to be more around UK, at sensible prices too, any ive seen this side seem to be priced very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

antodeco wrote: »
    Worst case scenario if I got a 1990's one, it'll at least hit the 20 years limit by 2010

There's no hard 20 year rule. I've heard of early 90s MX-5s being on classic insurance!

Anyway best of luck and let us know your progress :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I recently bought a second car and was able to use my named drivers experience to insure the car. I have been insured on my girlfriends car for five years as a named driver, as well as being insured on my own car. They treated the named driver no claims bonus the same as a normal no claims bonus. Now I have two cars insured, both with full no claims bonus.

Advertisement