Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the struggle over? Please God is it over?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

For those of you that know me and my "struggle" to get BB something seems to have finaly happend.

I'm not gona jump up and down with joy just yet but please tell me what you think.

I have been in touch with some people at eircom and i've goten a little help with one or two issues from a member here on boards who unfortunaley i can't mention.

To keep this short my dial-up stats have gone from 31.2ks to a massive 46.6ks. I've dialed 10 times and 5 of them connected at 46.6 and 2 at 38 and 3 at 44.2

Now i have no way of checking for sure but these stats are kinda making me feel all warm inside. I'm not gona say anymore as im not gona tempt fait but is this good? i think these are good results.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ps. i have a D-Link DKT-410 Wireless router with a rj45 wan port is there any way i can hook this up to find out please? there is a BB order with eircom and it might just be active

A DKT-410 is a wireless router and that's all, you'll need an ADSL modem, and even then you couldn't use that anyway without your phone line being hooked up to the DSLAM first.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

sorry mate but it means nothing. the speeds of your dial up could have easily been moved up as the result of the smallest thing!!when i had dial up my speeds were in a constant state of flux!.....ring eircom and ask them is your line capable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

:eek: There are still dial up users??!!.

Have you looked into wireless broadband from Vodafone, O2 or 3G??.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Feelgood wrote: »
    :eek: There are still dial up users??!!.

Have you looked into wireless broadband from Vodafone, O2 or 3G??.

You obviously haven't read the previous chapters of this saga.:D

Hey JPB, crossing everything for ya.
    Hope this is the final chapter.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You obviously haven't read the previous chapters of this saga.:D

Hey JPB, crossing everything for ya.
    Hope this is the final chapter.:D

Hey Kaiz

Well it's over.
    I drove 40mls in some **** weather last night to borrow a netopia from my brother got back asap and hooked it up and watched that dsl led flash and then one of the very best things that could happen in this situation happend,

the dam thing just went and synched at 1024/128 and i was connected to the 21st century proper :D

My stats are not all that bad neither and i'd say wont have much trouble with a 3Mb/384 connection which i went straight ahead and ordered on-line.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 20.00 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.50 24.00
    CRC Errors 185 0

Can you freaking belive it? 10yrs guys, 10 freaking yrs.

There are a lot of people here that have helped me here over the yrs and you have no idea what it has ment to me and indeed my family.

Its taken a lot of letter writing, emails ph calls but there are some decent people at eircom, very decent and without them and the help of one or two people here on the broadband forum on boards i'd still be in the dark ages so thank you. Thank you very much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hey Kaiz

Well it's over.
    I drove 40mls in some **** weather last night to borrow a netopia from my brother got back asap and hooked it up and watched that dsl led flash and then one of the very best things that could happen in this situation happend,

the dam thing just went and synched at 1024/128 and i was connected to the 21st century proper :D

My stats are not all that bad neither and i'd say wont have much trouble with a 3Mb/384 connection which i went straight ahead and ordered on-line.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 20.00 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.50 24.00
    CRC Errors 185 0

Can you freaking belive it? 10yrs guys, 10 freaking yrs.

There are a lot of people here that have helped me here over the yrs and you have no idea what it has ment to me and indeed my family.

Its taken a lot of letter writing, emails ph calls but there are some decent people at eircom, very decent and without them and the help of one or two people here on the broadband forum on boards i'd still be in the dark ages so thank you. Thank you very much. :)

With an attenuation of 40 dB you can hit 9 megs under ADSL2+ and close to 7 under ADSL1. It probably won't be stable if get close to those speeds, your line still seems to have noise, hence the CRC error count.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Er.. basic DSL is 20th Century. 10 years ago was 20th Century :(

Still for 80% to 90% of people 1Mbps flat rate charge always on is all they need. Dialup costs are a scandal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Spear wrote: »
    With an attenuation of 40 dB you can hit 9 megs under ADSL2+ and close to 7 under ADSL1. It probably won't be stable if get close to those speeds, your line still seems to have noise, hence the CRC error count.

The crc's did kinda bother me but the signal to noise kinda balanced it out, well in my mind anyway if this is true or not is another thing plus it was a very quick ad-hoc set up last night so i can play around with a few more things today perhaps do some research into a quality dsl modem and try and get the s/nr a little higher.

ADSL2+ will more than likley never be an option for me but im not a download junkie so those kinda speeds are not really an issue with me, thats not to say that if i could get up to that speed i wouldn't, i'd be the first to sign up.

All i can do is move in steps and if the stats are good at 3megs i'd then try for 7.6 and see what the QOS versus speed was like and make a compromise,

pay for the 7.6 and if i got a steady reliable 5/6 i'd be more than happy but comening from where i've been and now geting steady pings in the mid 20s from UK servers im over the moon.

All i ever wanted was a quality connection over copper and i now seem to have that, speed will get sorted in time i guess.

If anyone has moved away from the 2247 and goten better results could you please advise me as to what you bought. Thanks.

Advertisement