Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Router

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wonderin, if i buy a router in the USA can i just strait swap the US power adapter i get with the router for a standard irish 1 wen i get home??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

No problem, you do get a limitation on channels on 802.11G, United States uses channels 1-11, Europe uses 1-13, and Japan uses 1-14 - In theory it goes against all FCC rules and regs - If its 802.11N you have 5ghz issues but exactly how much are you saving by getting one from the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Well as far as those things go, i'll rarely be using wireless g neway as it will be used mainly wit a desktop and macbook only. n I'm definitly shur it is a 2.4ghz router. I'll be saving 50e buyin it here. Is it worth my while. I've heard really good things about it??

Have you got specs? I work in the wireless development area and most routers contain the same chipsets.. so you can get the same thing in another brand for a lot less... One I would recommend to people is the D-Link DIR series fantastic!But let me know what one your thinking off.. hope its not the Buffalo :D

Haha, excellent. Its actually the Dlink Dir-655 i'm interested in. I've been looking at it for awhile now. Wot you think of it??

Good router - You can get the DIR650 on komplett for €65 the DIR655 is €118 only difference is the DIR 655 has gigabit Ethernet but just me to tell you both wireless sides of it are the the same, the switch is the only difference! But you have to ask what are you going doing with it - Browsing the web and basic file and printer sharing the DIR650 is perfect.. great range too provided you have an 802.11N card in your laptop.. But if you are going to transfering a lot between wireless and lan the gigabit (provided your desktop has gb ethernet) comes in to play at short range, throughput can exceed what 100meg c can give you, but what ever you decide its a great purchase - Just watch the firmware updates on a US device! Make sure you go to the US site for all your updates!

• Advertisement

Thanks for ur advice Voodoo. To ans ur questions. I will most definitely be using the router for large file transfers so the gigabit ethernet is a must and i will also be streaming a lot of HD movies from my desktop to a relatively old laptop but HD capable laptop connected to my TV. I'm fairly sure the Dir-655 does all of these pretty well. U think it wud be ok?

And just using a regular irish power brick will be alright too??

Well - I cant definitely say it will all work 100% but its one of the top routers out there through put wise - People forget that if you have a fast back hawl network around there house, the computers may not be able to deal with the data.. Make sure you have CAT5E or greater for your wiring :) but you will have the network side of the equation wrapped up - best of luck and if you want any help/advice you drop me a line!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    .. hope its not the Buffalo :D

whats up with the buffalos?

i hear this http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3W18&CategorySelectedId=11018&PageMode=1&InMerch=1 works great with DD-WRT

thx

Advertisement