Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored in Mullingar/Ladestown...

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

...with no transportation! I don't drive, and public transit doesn't seem that great atm...

I'm new to the country, and this board was suggested to me by an irish friend of mine who lives all the way down in Cork.

I work at Ladestown House (right by Lough Ennell) and I live on site. Just moved here from Ontario, Canada, on the 1st of September, I work 6 days a week from 8am to generally about 7ish pm depending on the day, and my only day off is on a Monday.

Needless to say it's a little hard for me to meet people. I'm going to be here for an entire year and the prospect of an entire year without meeting any new people is a bit bleak. :(

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get out of this place whenever I have a chance? I don't know ANYONE of my own age (I'm a 21-year-old female) and I just want to be able to go down to a pub for a pint with a mate, and I can't-- also, I get the impression it's a bit cliquey...

Someone help. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

Hey Liah, welcome to boards and Ireland. Hope all goes well for you.

Ladestown house eh? Are you involved in the equestrian scene? My little sister used to go out there to Ladestown regularly to do her horse riding lessons a couple of years back until she got her own pony. Nice bunch of people from what I remember.

Sorry you got a bad impression of us Mullingar bunch so far, for the most part (99% that is) we're not cliquey and very welcoming in fact. As far as Mondays go there's usually not a lot on. There used to be an acoustic night in Danny Byrne's pub that was very good but I've not been out for a Monday night in a good while. Shoot me up on msn if you ever want a chat or some info on the area: it's my boards user name (at)gmail.com. I'm a 22 yo male btw.

Someone round here will definitely get you to meet up with a few people and you'll get to know them over a few sociable pints. All is not lost :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yeah, I work at the Riding School with Toni. They are really great people; it's a nice work environment, but incredibly exhausting physical work.. but at least it keeps me in shape!

Figures that Mondays are the only days I have off... there's never anything to do on Mondays anywhere, and that only leaves me really with Sunday night, and Sundays aren't exactly renowned for being eventful either. :(

Thanks for the encouragement, though. Hard being new to a country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

hey Liah, welcome to Ireland, and welcome to the Midlands, the public transport is terrible :P Many others working there your age, or even close?
    Your best bet is to try and make friends with someone in your job even if you're not their age, then get out with them for an evening, you should fit into the group quickly enough, you may even meet people your own age in the pub/club or town :)

6 day weeks, that's pretty crappy. Sure you may even get to know some people on the equestrian forum (or whatever other interests you have). Sometimes there are boards members meet up for pints. All options you could try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Nope, absolutely no one my age here. Closest is about a 45-year difference. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

awww, lol, that sucks. well sure send coillcam a message then lol
    That is a pretty ****ty situation. Ah I'd say if you stick your head into a pub one of the days, you might find someone your age group. Honestly I'd say try and arrange a weekend day off, see if there's any music gigs that you'd like to go to. You may meet people that way, but don't be surprised if you get hit on left right and center :P
    The Irish are friendly enough, so if you're just sitting at a bar or standing around it's easy enough to start up a conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Liah,

Welcome to Westmeath and Mullingar....

Dont worry you will love it !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Hi Liah, welcome to Ireland! So you want to make friends huh? Hmm, your work situation and location of your home is probably not the best for meeting people but you will soon get some mates, and everyone here drive so you wont be stranded for long. Would you try a gym class or something in Bloomfield hotel which is near where you live (i think?) to meet friends? Its hard given where you live, but message the guy above and you've got your first friend. Or go and stand in Mojos for 2 minutes and the boys will all be hanging out of u ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Take a taxi into town some Saturday night, you won't be long making friends there. Just be weary of the usual drunken tossers that are just looking to get their leg over. They are pretty easy to spot though, they all wear elabourate shirts with extra large collars, smell like 15 cans of Lynx and shout "whaaaayhoooooowww", quite a lot.

Advertisement