Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Debt Collection Co. Improperly Took Funds From Credit Card

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

If this post is incorrectly posted – feel free to move.

Hi Folks! This is the lowdown:

Credit Card is a Visa card through Halifax.

This evening was checking my credit card account online and discovered that €1,572.69 extra was taken out of my account without my authorization or knowledge.

I contacted Halifax and was informed that the amount was taken through 3 separate payments on the 27th - 28th August. The payments went to a website
    www.bristowsutor.co.uk.This is a website for a UK based company that specializes in enforcement and recovery of debts. The website contains a Barclaycard Merchant Service for the payment of debts.

Bristow & Sutor
    Bartleet Road
    Washford
    Redditch
    Worcestershire
    B98 0FL

Now I must state that I do not have any outstanding past debts or have been contacted by debt collectors or sheriffs. The only debt that I have is real credit card balance (€382) and a car loan (€10,200) which I recently took out. I am servicing this through monthly payments.

Halifax informed me that I should contact the company directly but when I rang the company but it was outside of office hours Monday to Friday. I will ring them Monday. Halifax said that if I do not get any satisfaction from this company that they will immediately initiate an investigation.

I need advice on following:

1.Has anybody heard of this happening before.
    2.Would this be similar to a mis-payment or a fraudulent payment?
    3.Info in dealing with a Debt collection Agency with a similar scenario or any scenario?How should I approach the phone call on Monday?
    4.If Halifax initiate this investigation, how long will it take?How much red tape?
    5.Am I liable to for this extra payment?
    6.If I don't pay this amount on my credit card , will this effect my Credit Rating?
    7.Should I contact my solicitor immediately Monday morning?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

fattycrowe wrote: »
    1.Has anybody heard of this happening before.
    I haven't personally but im sure it happens.
    2.Would this be similar to a mis-payment or a fraudulent payment?
    Could be just a mistake.
    3.Info in dealing with a Debt collection Agency with a similar scenario or any scenario?How should I approach the phone call on Monday?
    Just ask them why they charged those amounts onto your credit card.
    4.If Halifax initiate this investigation, how long will it take?How much red tape?
    I know with Bank of Ireland it is pretty much instant. The onus is on the business that charged the card to prove it was an authorised paymeny.
    5.Am I liable to for this extra payment?
    Not if it is not authorised.
    6.If I don't pay this amount on my credit card , will this effect my Credit Rating?
    You would have this sorted out before it could effect your credit rating.
    7.Should I contact my solicitor immediately Monday morning?
    See what the company say for themselves first. If there is not satisfactory answer given then contact halifax again and they will take it over. Make sure you take note of the time and name of the person you are talking to at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fattycrowe

Thanks for your reply Axer!!

I'm just worried that this may drag on for months. I will be very insistent with the Debt company as I don't have a credit agreement with them. I should imagine that I will have to go back to Halifax as debt companys aren't in a habit of giving money back!! The important thing going for me is that I didn't authorize the payments!

Fatty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I'm just worried that this may drag on for months. I will be very insistent with the Debt company as I don't have a credit agreement with them. I should imagine that I will have to go back to Halifax as debt companys aren't in a habit of giving money back!! The important thing going for me is that I didn't authorize the payments!
    Don't let it drag on for months. Make sure you record details of all contacts so as to pass this information on to halifax. The debt company has a merchant account whereby if they make charges on a credit card then the charge can be charged back if unauthorised it is part of the merchant account rules and part of visa/mastercard rules. The debt company will have to prove it was authorised which would be impossible for them to do.

Advertisement