Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level Maths

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

Is it straightforward? I dropped down from Higher at the end of last year and must get an A1 in it for my course. There seems to be a few tricky chapters from just browsing through the book etc. I'm not the best at maths either (B in JC H) which puts me about average I guess.

What do you people who have done the course and know about the exam think? Does a lot of study have to be put in to get an A1? Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've a friend who isn't the best at maths and dropped down from HL maths to OL math yesterday, she came back laughing at how simple it is. If you managed to stci kout HL maths for one year then OL shouldn't be too hard, but to get the A1 I imagine you'd have to work hard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

What do you have to get in higher level to get into your course? Is it a D of some sort? If it is, I'd suggest that would be easier than an ordinary A1 (will an A2 not do?).

Getting the maximum grade in any subject involves a lot of work. You need a lot of extra work to push you into that "almost perfect" A1 category.

I agree that higher is a significant step up from ordinary. In ordinary, understanding is less of a necessity and it usually boils down to learning a few methods. Ordinary is really for teaching you a few skills and you can rehash when needs be. For higher you really need to know what you are doing, and understand things very well, because you will get questions that are designed to test all that. But I do think that getting a D in higher would be easier.

What course is it out of curiousity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

What do you have to get in higher level to get into your course? Is it a D of some sort? If it is, I'd suggest that would be easier than an ordinary A1 (will an A2 not do?).

Getting the maximum grade in any subject involves a lot of work. You need a lot of extra work to push you into that "almost perfect" A1 category.

I agree that higher is a significant step up from ordinary. In ordinary, understanding is less of a necessity and it usually boils down to learning a few methods. Ordinary is really for teaching you a few skills and you can rehash when needs be. For higher you really need to know what you are doing, and understand things very well, because you will get questions that are designed to test all that. But I do think that getting a D in higher would be easier.

What course is it out of curiousity?
    See, I do 5 higher level subjects and 2 ordinary (Irish, which I'm hopeless at and Maths). I really need the full points in it because I don't think I'll get A's in French or English. I just can't learn things off well.

I'm thinking about History in UCD which is 505! or maybe Corporate Law in NUIG. I'm really not too sure but I know I NEED those 60 points if I'm to get the course I want haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I got a B at Junior Cert in Honours. I hate maths, had a **** teacher, never did any work because I really disliked the subject etc. Chatted during class, no homework, all of that.

Then I got 50% in the mocks, decided I was being an idiot, got about seven grinds one to one, then got an A2.

For someone who doesn't like maths and didn't work hard... Well, it just shows that the course is certainly manageable. Still, to guarantee an A1 in anything, you do have to know the course and papers backwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

K4t wrote: »
    See, I do 5 higher level subjects and 2 ordinary (Irish, which I'm hopeless at and Maths). I really need the full points in it because I don't think I'll get A's in French or English. I just can't learn things off well.

I'm thinking about History in UCD which is 505! or maybe Corporate Law in NUIG. I'm really not too sure but I know I NEED those 60 points if I'm to get the course I want haha!

You could do ordinary level if maths really isn't your thing and do another subject you do like - outside school if needs be. Your best 6 will be counted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I dropped half way throught 5th year (last Crimbo), now in 6th year and the only thing so far that's troubling me is Simpsons Rule and Part 3 on Area and Volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Instead of History do Arts in UCD (345) and after first year you can do pure history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

Is it straightforward? I dropped down from Higher at the end of last year and must get an A1 in it for my course. There seems to be a few tricky chapters from just browsing through the book etc. I'm not the best at maths either (B in JC H) which puts me about average I guess.

What do you people who have done the course and know about the exam think? Does a lot of study have to be put in to get an A1? Thanks. :)

ha if i can pass it anybody can.... i used to copy in class tests and still fail! i was HOPELESS at maths... just never grasped it!

an A1 seems a bit steep for a course? what course is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Coconutqueen

I dropped from higher to ordinary in December of 5th year as the higher level teacher was a w****r. I got a b3 in my leaving cert and to be honest I didnt study that much - just some night before revision. You'll be grand as long as you keep studying all year long and ya lasted ages in the higher level too so thats a good sign.

And as for you being crap at irish - I was exactly the same! I hated it and cause I hated it i didnt put in any effort like! Did ****e in my oral, even stopping in the middle because I couldnt remember 1 word of irish to save my life. I got a b2 in the ordinary and that was honestly down to learnin what format the paper was in and memorising about 20 phrases that could be used in all of the sections on paper one. Paper 2 is a piece of p*** - real easy like. Loads of people dont go in for it but ya might as well. Finished in 40 mins or an hour if a put alot into it.

Hope this helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

an A1 seems a bit steep for a course? what course is it?
    You only get 60 points for an A1 at ordinary level :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I swapped to ordinary maths in 2nd year and got an A2 in my leaving cert, I'm not 'mathsy' in the slightest. It's not difficult workload wise.

Exam papers are your best friend in this case. Just keep doing exam questions over and over and have them corrected so you can see how you're getting along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lisa-kk

i got an A1 in my ol maths last year.
    it wasant very easy to get like it involved lots o wrk.
    keep doin papers paper n mre papers, get past pres off ur teacher too......d mre u do d better u get! at first if stuck use d book 2 get help bt after a while dont, keep tryin! n keep al d papers u've done 2gether, re-do em n u can check em if stuck!
    also dont try 2 b brill at em al.....only do n study d quesions u plan 2 do on the day of d exam....i no its handy 2 ave bck up n for paper one it is handy too. if u are really able 2 get this A den u should b able 2 fly through d paper as in u should b able 2 finally, by june, do a question in 20 mins tops!
    an A1 can b got so best o luck.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Adam08

I got an A1 in it. I dropped down a week before and studied for about 5 hours using Less Stress More Success. It is very straight forward if you are a D Honours student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Its all about the teachers to me. I had a teacher last year in 5th year, absolutely terrible. I didn't really grasp Maths too well. Now I'm flying with the other teacher educating me.

The question is which is easier: an ordinary A1 or honours C3. 60 marks for either of these. At least with honours you have to possiblity of getting more than 60 marks...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

An ordinary A1 is definitely easier to get. Honours maths can throw up weird things on the day, but Ordinary stuff just repeats year after year - there's really nothing they can throw at you that you won't have seen in some shape or form in previous years. That's something you can't easily say about Honours!

But if it's tricky you can just skip that question. If you put the same amount of effort into honours as you'd put into pass in order to get an A1, i'd say you wouldn't be far off a C3, possibly better if you put your mind to it.

Any 'crazy' thing that comes up in honours is generally not that crazy at all, it's just when a student see something they haven't seen before, they get scared.

Usually it's just confidence that students lack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 talk2050

Post deleted- let that be a lesson to stop your spamming.

-Piste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

talk2050 wrote: »
    <snip>

I noticed a couple of errors and replied to this on another thread. In the meantime I have looked at more examples on your website and found the same factoring problem.
    Sorry, but you definitely do not know how to factor.

It's a nice idea, but as it stands, this website will confuse the hell out of anyone who needs to learn the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 talk2050

Thanks for looking at the site and letting me know of these mistakes ill fix them immediately. If you see anymore please do let me know. With all the excitement of getting this site up and running I guess mistakes can be easily made..
    nevey wrote: »
    I noticed a couple of errors and replied to this on another thread. In the meantime I have looked at more examples on your website and found the same factoring problem.
    Sorry, but you definitely do not know how to factor.

It's a nice idea, but as it stands, this website will confuse the hell out of anyone who needs to learn the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I did HL for almost an entire year, and dropped out two weeks before the summer tests.
    So I basically did two weeks of OL before the end of year test, and came out with 85% if that answers your question.

Very easy to pick up, it's alot like junior cert HL only there's abit more work.

i got an A1 in it in 2007! loved it...i was crap at maths in 5th year but the got the Past Exam Papers in 6th year and i was a straight A student after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I got a C in JC HL and im doing OL now in 5th year. It is mostly just revision of the Jc Hl Course but a little more advanced in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

If you choose the questions wisely you'll be fine.

Choose Linear Programming as a question definitely. It uses the same principles and methods in nearly all the questions.

Advertisement