Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsolicted marketing calls from witheld number

Options
  • 05-09-2008 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Just curious to know if anyone else has been getting alot of unsolicited marketing calls from witheld numbers despite having requested to be removed from the NDD ? My number is in the phonebook, but shouldn't be on the NDD. The phone line is relatively new, having put it in primarily for broadband service.

I've had everything from the usual "would you have a few minutes to discuss so-and-so phone company" to calls that have an automated response stating I've won a prize (I've a hunch that these could be some sneaky reverse charge call?).

More recently I seem to be getting alot of 'withheld' calls which immediately hangup on answer. I think that this might be some new cold-calling company is trying to get their automated call system setup.

How can you track the origionator of the call? I'm fed up telling these cold-callers I'm not interested. so how can you track the call, so I can raise a complaint with comreg?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

There's not really a lot you can do regarding tracing who it is without getting onto the Gardai about it. Phone companies won't hand over the details of the caller due to data protection - they will only hand it over to the gardai if they request it.

Regarding the withheld calls which automatically hang up, I've been getting anything from three to ten calls a day from a withheld number - phone rings, I answer and the call lasts 9 seconds every time and then it disconnects. Bloody annoying!!!

Raising a complaint with ComReg won't do much good either, those guys couldn't regulate their way out of a soggy, ripped paper bag. Best bet is hound your phone company and if it's serious, get onto the Gardai to investigate nuisance calls.

Advertisement