Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Disposal

Options
  • 05-09-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Ok, I'm moving into the city centre (Cross Street) and I have a few queries about waste disposal.

I'll be living in an apartment, so I'll be opting for bags rather than bins, and I'm just wondering who provides the best service for this. Are bags bought directly from the provider or can they be bought in shops, or, are tags used etc?

Also, any info. regarding pick-up times/cost/etc would be appreciated too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

sorry cant help you out on the bags front. but city bin offer a decent service afaik.

i pay £16.8 or something before tax to get the bins collected per month. House of 4 people its pretty good value.

pickup times around my place are usually between 9am and 12pm. I prefer the 12pm times because i usually forget the bring out the trash.

city bin also tend to do alternating weekly pickups. one week waste other week recyclable stuff.

they have a website

http://www.citybin.com/menu.asp?menu=176

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dynamo Kev wrote: »
    Ok, I'm moving into the city centre (Cross Street) and I have a few queries about waste disposal.

I'll be living in an apartment, so I'll be opting for bags rather than bins, and I'm just wondering who provides the best service for this. Are bags bought directly from the provider or can they be bought in shops, or, are tags used etc?

Also, any info. regarding pick-up times/cost/etc would be appreciated too.

They're expensive enough, about €4 per bag I think. Hollands on William St. have the citybin ones. They seem to collect daily in city centre (apart from Sunday I think).

Not sure if you can buy in bulk from company, I keep meaning to check ... if you figure it out, you might stick up the answer here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can buy individual City Bins bags from Hollands - but they're something like 4.50 a bag (were 9 months ago, may have increased since).

City Bins collect daily (some days, several times) from the inner city. If you ring their sales number, they will organise for a sales representative to visit you and sell you a bundle of bags. They're cheaper per bag than the council, but the bundles are larger so you pay more up-front.

The council collect from here on Monday mornings, the times seem to vary a bit, but my bag always disappears if it's out by 8am. You can buy bags from their office in College Rd. From memory, 26 regular + 26 recycling bags (as least I think it was 26) cost about 60-euro. There was no info on the council's web-site about the bag-service.

Barna Waste also seem to collect bags, but I don't know anything about their service.

Note that bags are very large, a one or two person household only fills half-a-bag in a week. But if you're living in a apartment, keeping smelly rubbish around for a fortnight isn't appealing. I figure that I've paid for the entire volume of the bag, no-one said that I have to put the whole bag out at the same time ... if you get my drift. YMMV.

Welcome to the neighbourhood. Council vacuum-cleaners make their rounds about 6:30am, hope you're a sound sleeper or don't mind waking early :D

Advertisement