Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If you fail your test, do you change instructors?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently failed my test (had seven grade 2s in one category, no marks in the others) and I'm wondering how best to proceed from here. In the run-up to my test, my instructor never mentioned a particular problem in this category - she did point out other problems which I worked on (successfully it seemed) and on my last lesson the day before the test, she said that she felt I was ready for it and would do well. Now, obviously she wasn't going to batter my confidence by saying I didn't have a hope in hell of passing, but it did make me question her judgement that I should do so poorly in this specific area, without her ever pointing it out to me. Having said that though, she did get me through all the other parts really well. So in preparing for my next test (I have re-applied but no date yet), would you reckon I'm best sticking with her for another few lessons, or going for someone else who can analyse my driving with fresh eyes? What did you do, if you were in the same situation? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I thought you could have nine grade 2s and pass. Has this been changed?

I'd say she knew what she was at, tried to give you a little boost. Cannot tell you if you should stick with her though - only you know that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I thought you could have nine grade 2s and pass. Has this been changed?
    You can have 4 of the same grade 2 faults for a single aspect, 6 or more grade 2 faults under the same heading or
    9 or more grade 2 faults overall. The OP had 7 grade 2's in the same category so unfortunatly it's a fail. :(

I think you should think about if you like your instructor and feel comfortable with her. A teacher that you feel relaxed with means a lot. But 7 grade 2's in observation is a lot. Did you tell you about looking over your right shoulder before taking off at lights and before pulling out from being parked? And looking over your left shoulder while reversing around a corner? If she had 'mirror, mirror, mirror' drummed into you perhaps you just panicked in the test and went blank. Or maybe over observed as someone suggested in the other thread. Ask yourself honestly if you want to keep her or if she's not a good teacher. Would you be dubious about passing your test again if you keep this instructor? State of mind is important and only you can tell if you want to stick with this person or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

I failed my first test as well but despite that fact I was still thinking that my instructor is okay. I was going to book more pretests with him when a new date came up. However in the meantime I decided to try out other school of driving. I thought I have no comparison so how can I know he's really good? Even if he's good maybe there's someone better than him? Finally I changed an instructor and a new guy was much better than the first one. He gave me better advices, pointed out all the little things, he was more focused on me, etc. In consequences I passed :)

I am not saying your instructor is not good, maybe she's great, but it's always better to have comparison with others.

Btw.: I think they all say they think you will pass your test, you're good enough, etc. But honestly what else can they say to students one day/few hours before the test?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Yes, I did suspect that they always tell everyone they're ready when in the last lesson before the test, so I kind-of took that with a pinch of salt. I think I probably will try lessons with someone else; like I said, she never mentioned a particular problem with my observation which makes me think that a fresh pair of eyes would be the best way to progress before my next test. While I would probably still recommend her to a friend learning to drive, as she was v good on the other aspects it seems, maybe it is a bit unrealistic to expect one driving instructor to be perfect on everything. So now, hopefully new teacher, new test, new result with fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement

Good luck with your new teacher and hopefully a successful result in the test next time! :)

Advertisement