Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how the f*ck is glenda gilson a model??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Shes okay, bit of a chin on her but shes not that bad.

Its her voice that bugs me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    if pictures are all you have to go on, you may as well pick a good picture as a bad one.
    Exactly. It's possible to find a pic of anyone not looking their best - even those who have absolutely divine faces. There's a lot of bitterness and nit-picking here - "Oh look! I think her eyelashes might be a bit uneven!" :D
    And it's mostly from guys - lads, you remind me of the jealous girls in my class when I was 16! :D

Mairt, her bod is only ok... get out of it! :) You might find a different shape to hers more attractive, but Glenda has a fantastic figure and would have to work very hard to maintain it.

Beauty and attractiveness are subjective - Glenda was obviously considered by someone to be suitable for what she does. She has a lot of boxes ticked in terms of what's required. Her face is only one aspect.

It's funny how it's being treated as such a grave injustice!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dudess wrote: »
    Mairt, her bod is only ok... get out of it! :)

Yes I agree, but its nothing more than ''ok''.

And even if it was drop dead sexy nothing could forgive THAT face!.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

some of the comments on here are harsh and uncalled for as most people do not know her.

however, i agree that i am amazed at how she became a model. nice body yes, but not model standard. she just aint good looking for me. seen a series of pics of her the other day that were terrible.

ireland does have some super looking girls like rosanna davidson, ruth o neill, daniella moyles etc that its clear to see why they became models. i think glenda has been very lucky and who she is and went out with, played a large part in her career. however, i do think thay over the past year, her demand has gone as you dont see her as much now and she has turned to tv3 to keep her fame up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dog to be honest. more girls seem to like her than blokes. its the inexplicable eyebrows that put me off

personally ive hung around with some of that set and TBH most of em arent the best looking in the flesh, theres a ****e load of make up involved . and its called "photogenics" for a reason, some of the best looking girls i know look awfull in photos and vice versa for girls i wouldnt even notice. thats why you have talent scouts just wandering about the country looking for people. you'd be surprised how many models never even thought about going into the biz till they were approached.

but no, wouldnt touch her myself. i put it down to good ol self promotion and hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I have to agree there dudess ! I'd say 95% of the guys here would do her if they had the chance the other 5% being gay, She tall, has a great body She has what it takes to be an (irish)model, I would find her far better looking than Kate Moss or Ageness Dein as for the Expose stuff give her a break she is still learning her trade the other 5 girls have been doing it for years ! :D

gcgirl wrote: »
    I have to agree there dudess ! I'd say 95% of the guys here would do her if they had the chance the other 5% being gay, She tall, has a great body She has what it takes to be an (irish)model, I would find her far better looking than Kate Moss or Ageness Dein as for the Expose stuff give her a break she is still learning her trade the other 5 girls have been doing it for years ! :D

well ya see this proves what i was saying about women liking her. the bod is definitly nothing to write home to from a blokes point of view. and blokes dont like tall, they like proportionalality. you rarely see a bloke with a girl taller than him.

now FAS girl ,theres a bod. :)

well ya see this proves what i was saying about women liking her. the bod is definitly nothing to write home to from a blokes point of view. and blokes dont like tall, they like proportionalality. you rarely see a bloke with a girl taller than him.

now FAS girl ,theres a bod. :)

Right name a few irish models that have a better bod??:D:D:D

Lol at how people get so worked up about her eyebrows! :D

I just googled a lot of pics of her - I agree she's not very beautiful but she can scrub up very well. She looks great in lots of those pics. Casting agents know their sh1t - she's obviously got what's required. E.g. this pic: http://bingo-celebrities.com/images/glenda-gilson.jpg

I bet if a lot of guys here didn't realise that was Glenda Gilson they'd be "phwoaring"... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Nationality aside some people who are considered models are absolute muck, the person i cant believe got to ever be a model is Kate Moss, my god how un attractive is she? Gaunt and no chest!

• Advertisement

Again, that's the issue of what constitutes an ideal model - and facial beauty and sexiness aren't prerequisites. Jessica Alba couldn't be a model because she doesn't have the height, and might not even be considered slender enough.

Lily Cole - not sexy or conventionally beautiful, yet a highly successful model. Models aren't chosen based on whether guys find them beautiful or sexy. I think that's what's causing the confuddlement here.

Right name a few irish models that have a better bod??:D:D:D

i wouldnt rate irish models at all as theyre effectively subject to the advertising market. one of the girls i know couldnt get work because she had big breasts and the "heroin chic" ****e craze was in at the time . the only work she could get was advertising fecking hand creams wherein you couldnt even see half of her . so what your seeing is only the stick insects that can get the work

you might notice i said what guys like. not what other models she compares to . personally i see much better down the pub every friday. at least 20 of em would be better looking by male standards.

by the way i dont just limit this to irish models. i havent seen a decent looking woman in hollywood in years ! :)

EDIT. by the way just seen the kate moss bit. too fecking right. NO ONE i know fancies her, UGLY to my mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

If she came with pedals and a saddle I still wouldnt ride her!

WTF is with the perma-surprised look:eek:

The Master wrote: »
    If she came with pedals and a saddle I still wouldnt ride her!

WTF is with the perma-surprised look:eek:
    Ghey:D:D:D 5%:D
    Now this was said in jest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What are models selected for? Why is height so important when attending ladies day at the races?

I think Constitutionous is right about the women liking some women more than men do. There's quite a few that sit in that category.

Glenda doesn't fit the bill of what I find attractive. The fact that she's an Irish model makes it worse though, because every aspiring Irish model I've known has been completely vacuous. I'm sure if she was a paediotician who didn't have gigantic hair and tonnes of make up on she'd be more attractive. It's the showiness that gets me, here is a girl who doesn't have the genetics to be 'up there' and she's flaunting it like every guy wants to do her. I mean that's what you're argument was there, 'every guy here would'. But you see French girls walking down the street with incredible facial features and genetics, who don't feel the need to 'flaunt it because they have it'.
    This makes Glenda look ridiculous. Here's this girl dressed all provacatively when realistically she has the grimace of a Thwomp block from Mariokart: thwomp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Kold wrote: »
    Here's this girl dressed all provacatively when realistically she has the grimace of a Thwomp block from Mariokart: thwomp.jpg

LOL thats a brilliant observation. her face looks exactly like a thwomp block. even the eyebrows are a perfect match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Why is height so important? because clothes are designed to fit certain specifications, these specifications are proportioned to make the clothes look their most elegant when worn, they fit taller wo/men. fact, ask a designer.

I find these things so hypocritical and Irish. Anyone gets anywhere or semi-successful and we knock them back down. As if shes not pretty, cop on the lot of you, if you were out on the town and saw anyone with legs that long, a figure as shapely and an elgance like hers you wouldnt notice?... Yeah right. Shes a sucessful career woman doing a job, if youre hired to do something you do it, shes hired to be a model and shes dam good at it, shes made her own way to where she is - in work you take the chances you get to get where you want to get dont you?... I say more power to her, fair play and I'm glad to see it.

The attacks on her personality are even more stupid, you dont get to hear her speak her mind or express herself 9 times out of 10 yet there people attacking her personality here. The one time she did get to show off her personality, on that show with Jason Byrne, she was GAS, it was easily one of the funniest episodes and she was great craic... I've met her once at a show, she was very grounded, had no airs or graces, didnt walk around like she was 'THE Glenda Gilson' and was lovely and chatty to everyone, not only the 'clientele' and not only when she was 'working', even backstage to staff and that she was cool. How the **** is Glenda Gilson a model?... Shes obviously good at it or she wouldnt get the jobs shes getting.

Ireland The Land of Begruggers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

She has a bod in the top ten per cent. That's not approaching average. As I say she wouldn't be my bag, but to suggest she's "ugly" is just daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What are models selected for?
    Bone structure, height, skin, hair, teeth/smile (if required), figure, legs, elegance, sophistication, ability to carry themselves in a particular way.
    Why is height so important when attending ladies day at the races?
    Well those are just photos taken at events so it's not important, but it does give a woman more of a presence in promotional material.
    I think Constitutionous is right about the women liking some women more than men do. There's quite a few that sit in that category.
    Yeah, like Sarah Jessica Parker (although I find the constant venomous attacks on her particularly hilarious :D).
    Glenda doesn't fit the bill of what I find attractive.
    Bingo. Models aren't chosen on such a basis - i.e. what's considered sexy etc. Plus, attractiveness is subjective.
    Pen1987 wrote: »
    I find these things so hypocritical and Irish. Anyone gets anywhere or semi-successful and we knock them back down. As if shes not pretty, cop on the lot of you, if you were out on the town and saw anyone with legs that long, a figure as shapely and an elgance like hers you wouldnt notice?... Yeah right. Shes a sucessful career woman doing a job, if youre hired to do something you do it, shes hired to be a model and shes dam good at it, shes made her own way to where she is - in work you take the chances you get to get where you want to get dont you?... I say more power to her, fair play and I'm glad to see it.

The attacks on her personality are even more stupid, you dont get to hear her speak her mind or express herself 9 times out of 10 yet there people attacking her personality here.
    Good post. I'm no fan of Glenda Gilson but the resentment here is something priceless...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ireland The Land of Begruggers

After Hours, the land of glib remarks.

Ofcourse I'm going to have a go at her success, she's making lots of money whilst contributing f*ck all to society. Models in general are a stupid concept but the least they can do is be pretty. She's done well at being an 'it' girl. 'It' girls deserve every bit of criticism they recieve, in fact they should be happy they're even being discussed otherwise they might have to.. you know.. get a real job? One of my mate's girlfriend is hilarious she does promos but wants to be a model. She's skinny and spends a huge amount of time grooming herself to go pose in Havanas, has her bebo covered in pics of models. Christ, this is not a real ambition.

Her job is about how she looks. To say that she doesn't look great is a fair observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I funk she's purdddyyy.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Only one mention of horse in this thread. For shame people.
    LOL yeah :D "Horse" seems to be the generic insult reserved for women who are famous and successful and have the nerve not to comply with certain ideas of beauty :)

I noticed a few people comparing Kylie to a horse on a recent thread.
    http://www.lucyholmes.com/images/kylie.jpg
    Sure... She looks just like a horse and is unattractive enough to deserve that comment... :pac:
    Of course people may find Kylie unattractive because that's simply their opinion, but she does not look like a horse! :)
    I think it's a case of if people don't find someone attractive and others do, they go to great lengths to express how unattractive they find them - including using unfounded comparisons. I could never understand the adulation for Scarlett Johansson in the earlier stages of her fame (about five years ago, when LIT was out - I think she's gorgeous now though) but just because I thought she was plain, it didn't mean I felt that was the same as her being monstrously ugly. Few people are.
    Models in general are a stupid concept but the least they can do is be pretty.
    They don't have to though - make-up sorts that out. I bet most models are very ordinary looking underneath the slap.
    To say that she doesn't look great is a fair observation.
    Yeah but that's your opinion. A lot of people here are enraged at Glenda Gilson being a model because she's what they find unattractive - irrelevant when it comes to her getting employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Why is height so important? because clothes are designed to fit certain specifications, these specifications are proportioned to make the clothes look their most elegant when worn, they fit taller wo/men. fact, ask a designer.

The attacks on her personality are even more stupid, you dont get to hear her speak her mind or express herself 9 times out of 10 yet there people attacking her personality here. The one time she did get to show off her personality, on that show with Jason Byrne, she was GAS, it was easily one of the funniest episodes and she was great craic... I've met her once at a show, she was very grounded, had no airs or graces, didnt walk around like she was 'THE Glenda Gilson' and was lovely and chatty to everyone, not only the 'clientele' and not only when she was 'working', even backstage to staff and that she was cool. How the **** is Glenda Gilson a model?... Shes obviously good at it or she wouldnt get the jobs shes getting.

Glenda's a boards member? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Ofcourse I'm going to have a go at her success, she's making lots of money whilst contributing f*ck all to society.

How is she contributing **** all to society? She pays her taxes and does her job the same as anyone else. Do you begrudge sportspeople for what they achieve? All theyre doing it kicking a ball or running as fast as they can, theyre given this talent in their genes aswell as contribute **** all dont they?
    Models in general are a stupid concept but the least they can do is be pretty. She's done well at being an 'it' girl. 'It' girls deserve every bit of criticism they recieve, in fact they should be happy they're even being discussed otherwise they might have to.. you know.. get a real job?

They do what theyre asked to do by clothes designers, if you got a stumpy chubby person to model your brand youre definitely not going to sell as many clothes, thats proven. If you get someone recognisable to endorse your product your product will stay in the minds of your target market longer, again, ask a marketing exec.
    One of my mate's girlfriend is hilarious she does promos but wants to be a model. She's skinny and spends a huge amount of time grooming herself to go pose in Havanas, has her bebo covered in pics of models. Christ, this is not a real ambition.

Her job is about how she looks. To say that she doesn't look great is a fair observation.

Yes its a fair observation to state your opinion on her looks but some have attacked her personality... also her job is more to be 'her', to promote whatever it is shes promoting and boast the product recognition or make the clothes look good, looking her best is part of that. Shes on the old posters for health insurance in gyms, she could hardly promote that if she was out of shape and hungover in the photos, of course she has to look her best if shes going to be promoting that type of product, a lot of people go to the gym to look to acheive the genetic potential regarding how they look, therefore she should loo the best she can look - something to aspire to, again shes just doing her job.

Oh and your mates girlfriend would be better off just walking into an agency and seeing if she fits the bill, wasting her time hoping to get 'spotted', its all luck and rarely happens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ofcourse I'm going to have a go at her success, she's making lots of money whilst contributing f*ck all to society.
    So what? Does an insurance salesman slaving away in a cubicle contribute much to society? You could argue, her and her ilk contribute quite a bit. They serve a social function by being looked at and commented on. When was the last time a thread was started on ugly no mates cubicle man?
    Models in general are a stupid concept
    Why? They do a pretty nice turn at selling stuff.
    but the least they can do is be pretty.
    Define pretty.
    She's done well at being an 'it' girl. 'It' girls deserve every bit of criticism they recieve, in fact they should be happy they're even being discussed otherwise they might have to.. you know.. get a real job? One of my mate's girlfriend is hilarious she does promos but wants to be a model. She's skinny and spends a huge amount of time grooming herself to go pose in Havanas, has her bebo covered in pics of models. Christ, this is not a real ambition.
    To you it's not. To me it wouldn't be, but to someone else? Given a choice if I was a woman and had the look to get me into that circle it sure as hell beats working for a living. Working for a living is utterly over rated. Thank god it is, or there wouldn't be employees.
    Her job is more about what she represents. It could be argued that she's a taller slimmer more polished clone of 1000's of irish women out there. The D4 archetype being the obvious one. If she was too pretty she may well lose the very fanbase she relies on. The women in that fanbase can find resonance, look up to her and more importantly aspire more to her, than some Brazillian beauty, that they could never hope to emulate. She's the girl next door who polishes up well, gets invited to all the parties and has yummy rugger bugger boyfriends whose daddies are in property. Shes a perfect representation of a section in Irish society that is of its time. If she can get a few quid out of that then I say good luck to her. As I say it beats office work.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

well in regards to the horsey thing, sarah jessica parker does look like one.

thats why its so funny.

most blokes dont give a toss about how "sucessful" a women is, were more interested in riding one .

i do find the clothes horse notion for the rational of skinny models hysterical though. i can see the point but honestly, who the fcuk can buy the dresses?

if the medias anything to go by were all a bunch of fat bastards :) !

EDIT. just seen WIBBS post. i didnt want to bring it up myself but there is a certain element of "jayus if SHE can be a model so can I !" to the whole phenomenon. :)

most blokes dont give a toss about how "sucessful" a women is, were more interested in riding one
    Yeah, but wouldn't you agree a lot of guys turn into rabid vicious teenage girls when females whom they personally wouldn't ride become successful and are photographed a lot...? ;)

nah, we just like riling the feminists ! :D

some of you girls are so touchy for the most bizarre reasons . :):)

actually its just hit me that there is another reason for gilsons sucess

TIME.

she's been knocking about since the 90s when lets face it the country wasnt exactly blessed with the best looking women in the world. now you cant get a burger in macdonalds without running into a stunner :)

if she was starting out now she probably wouldnt get a look in, and hey thats not me being bitchy ! half the countrys consultant doctors wouldnt get into med school now with the points system. its just a totally different country now. certainly ive never seen so many gorgeous looking irish girls in my life (thank christ !! )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Dudess=Horsess?
    Very defensive of the horsey girls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement