Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy a cheap ignition coil for a renault

Options
  • 05-09-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

An ignition (or engine) coil has gone on my car - a 1.4l 16v Renault megane 2001.
    It seems that this is a fairly common problem and one i can expect to happen a few times from reading though some other posts so I might try to buy a few.
    I rang the local dealer to find out how much a part would be. around €96 (although he agreed to give a 10% discount as a goodwill gesture as its a design flaw on the car).
    Also I found a site that sell one for £43 sterling plus £15 sterling + vat (which i presume is around 20% in UK, which works out at about the same.
    http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk

This seems quite expensive - does anyone know of any other places to buy this part - either online or places to ring that might be cheap.

thanks,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

D500B wrote: »
    Hi,

An ignition (or engine) coil has gone on my car - a 1.4l 16v Renault megane 2001.
    It seems that this is a fairly common problem and one i can expect to happen a few times from reading though some other posts so I might try to buy a few.
    I rang the local dealer to find out how much a part would be. around €96 (although he agreed to give a 10% discount as a goodwill gesture as its a design flaw on the car).
    Also I found a site that sell one for £43 sterling plus £155 sterling + vat (which i presume is around 20% in UK, which works out at about the same.
    http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk

This seems quite expensive - does anyone know of any other places to buy this part - either online or places to ring that might be cheap.

thanks,

D

A "goodwill discount"!!! He's putting a saddle on you at 96 Euro and he has you thinking he's doin ya a favour!!! Your best bet is to shop around for a complete replacement set, because you'll be back again where you are now, replacing another coil if you just replace one coil. Have a root through EBAY, there are loads up there, although I can't speak for whatever quality of parts you might see there. 96 Euro for a coil, do you get KY jelly with that or is that extra with the coil???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

cheers for the reply. I looked at some on ebay. they seem to be about half the price but I wouldn't fully trust them - I've had some bad experience before with ebay so I wouldn't be confident of buying proper parts. I guess you could say the same about anywhere though online. that being said I would prefer to buy off a real website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

D500B wrote: »
    cheers for the reply. I looked at some on ebay. they seem to be about half the price but I wouldn't fully trust them - I've had some bad experience before with ebay so I wouldn't be confident of buying proper parts. I guess you could say the same about anywhere though online. that being said I would prefer to buy off a real website.

I've changed more of these coils than I've had hot dinners. At the end of the day, the OEM parts are clearly defective so I wouldn't be so quick to judge any replacement part. For all the talk on here recently about OEM quality parts, here we have a "genuine" part being flagged as defective by a dealer who is offering the OP a 10% discount for another "defective" genuine replacement part...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

www.gsfcarparts.com - three shops in Ireland

Hi,

Had a bit of good luck with this. I found a local mechanic who replaced the part for €55 incl labour. (apparently the part was €45 when purchased by him at trade prices.
    What exactly are Renault playing at having a defective part then charging the customers a ridiculous mark up just to buy it?
    Any I'm pretty happy it worked out well for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sounds strange - I had one coil go in my Laguna and got all 4 replaced at a main Renault dealer for 128 quid. They said it should have been 256 but Renault were giving a 50% discount. Even at the undiscounted price that works out at 64 per coil including fitting which is a significant difference from 96.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Sounds strange - I had one coil go in my Laguna and got all 4 replaced at a main Renault dealer for 128 quid. They said it should have been 256 but Renault were giving a 50% discount. Even at the undiscounted price that works out at 64 per coil including fitting which is a significant difference from 96.
    possibly coils are different in different cars or models and newer ones might be cheaper. The renault centre I contacted was the sandyford motor centre. I never rang any others I presumed all renault centres would all be the same. Which one did you use? I might just call out of curiosity to see if the price varies.

Advertisement