Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undertaker's Mania Streak Ending

• 05-09-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE has been discussing The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak quite a bit in recent creative meetings. They are toying with the idea of having 'Taker's streak come to an end, but are in the midst of discussing who would be the best candidate to defeat him. Vince, at this point, feels that the streak should never end, however he is open to hearing ideas that would involve a superstar on the "rise" to be the one that defeats the dead man. Most creative members feel that an established star should NOT be the one that ends the streak, but rather a rising star that could benefit from the enormous rub. One wrestler talked about is Ted DiBiase, as Vince is very high on him and hopes to push him as the next Randy Orton. There has also been discussion of bringing in Ted DiBiase Sr, to work a possible angle with The Undertaker and DiBiase Jr, as The Million Dollar Man introduced 'Taker when he debuted.

This is obviously from wrestlezone, and if there is anything in this that is not true, point it out because i don't usually go on and read the reports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Give it to Edge, it's the least he can do after he destroyed his main event credibility at the last PPV!

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think if they want somebody on the rise, Morrison is the guy to go to. Has alot of experience with belts and could have a great match with him. It'll probably go to Punk if it does though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Cody or Ted, given the links Undetaker's early career and their fathers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

rovert wrote: »
    Cody or Ted, given the links Undetaker's early career and their fathers.

I think thats what will win it for them, the relationship taker has with theyre fathers.
    The family politics and all that is going to come into affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It probably won't be for another two Manias anyway so no real point suggesting people now as they might not be even with the company then or there could be a new breakout star.

• Advertisement

I think thats what will win it for them, the relationship taker has with theyre fathers.
    The family politics and all that is going to come into affect.

It has nothing to with politics or Taker's real life relationships. It has more to with playing retro storylines to play into the historic feeling around Wrestlemania.

It probably won't be for another two Manias anyway so no real point suggesting people now as they might not be even with the company then or there could be a new breakout star.

That would make sense, but they must have their eye on someone if there really has been that much talk of it?

Like Ortiz :pac:

But you are right Taker's last match is ages away.

It has nothing to with politics or Taker's real life relationships. It has more to with playing retro storylines to play into the historic feeling around Wrestlemania.

Its known that taker has been on about who he wants to end his streak, its been brought up before about kane and that.

But i think both points are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Edge should have ended it this year i was rooting for him the whole way through it, if they dont want an established star then its sort of throwing it away, Orton could have done it during the legend killer run, tbh I've never got the big deal about takers streak, its not like he actually beat these guys it was just decided he wasnt losing,and in fairness hes only had 4 good matches at wrestlemania, HHH, Edge, Orton and Batista, the rest were rubbish and the ones with Kane were mediocre at best

• Advertisement

Its known that taker has been on about who he wants to end his streak, its been brought up before about kane and that.

But i think both points are right.

When?

To some up my previous post it is more about lineage basically than the mad kind of politics.

When?

KKV brought it up during one of the kane/bag posts. Think he said that it was said on the wrestling figs forum, but dont hold me to that.

KKV brought it up during one of the kane/bag posts. Think he said that it was said on the wrestling figs forum, but dont hold me to that.

I wont. ;)

Here is a trivia note in regards to Wrestlemania XX which was in the Observer last week. John Cena was meant to get the Benoit push and title win at it originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think if it's going to go it should go to someone who has an impressive Wrestlemania streak of their own. I felt Edge was a great candidate but they blew that one at WM23. Cena was another contender as he had an undefeated Mania streak up until this year but that's now out the window.

I like the idea of Dibiase but to do it in the near future would be crazy. Ultimately I think Taker should work mid-card for future Manias and then if they decide to end the streak put him in the main event and end it with some style.

Here is a trivia note in regards to Wrestlemania XX which was in the Observer last week. John Cena was meant to get the Benoit push and title win at it originally.

Strange that, means he wouldve obviously had to drop the us title.

Mad thinking how different things would be now if that had've happened.

Strange that, means he wouldve obviously had to drop the us title.

Mad thinking how different things would be now if that had've happened.

Cena won it at Wrestlemania, dude.

HHH was the one who got the plan changed, saying he Cena wasnt ready.

Cena won it at Wrestlemania, dude.

HHH was the one who got the plan changed, saying he Cena wasnt ready.

Dam, i am so tired tonight. my bad.

Id side with trips there, i dont think he wouldve been ready.

Dam, i am so tired tonight. my bad.

Some Cena fan you are!!!

Some Cena fan you are!!!

:o am i a cena fan now?

Id side with trips there, i dont think he wouldve been ready.

Well he was more ready then than Punk is now.

• Advertisement

I believe Kane was supposed to end the streak at WrestleMania 21 or 22. I think it was 21. He was planning on retiring, so WWE proposed he end the streak. Kane was against the idea because he felt it wouldn't benefit either of them. The plan was dropped when he decided to stay with the company and not retire.

To be honest, I don't think anyone could benefit from taking the streak off Taker. Sure, it would be a huge deal on the night, and it would probably be a big deal for a few weeks, but thats all. It would be about as beneficial as brutally attacking and 'injuring' a main eventer like Triple H etc.

I think 'Taker should keep the streak. (Edge certainly shouldn't get it anyway, it would do him no favours nowadays).

Gosh darn.. I have a feeling a certain H might end it next year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think CM Punk will end it in 2010

Gosh darn.. I have a feeling a certain H might end it next year..

Kinda make sense, they are on the same show and it'd be an obvious feud.
    But creative will botch it. Thats my opinion, that creative will find some way to turn a golden opportunity into a golden goose crap!
    callaway92 wrote: »
    I think CM Punk will end it in 2010

Interesting idea, but why do you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kinda make sense, they are on the same show and it'd be an obvious feud.
    But creative will botch it. Thats my opinion, that creative will find some way to turn a golden opportunity into a golden goose crap!

Triple H beating Taker for the streak? :eek: I would be absolutely disgusted if that happened. An established star like him doesn't need that kind of rub and he's already faced Taker at Mania before so if they wanted him to end it the time to do it was 2001.

Looking at the roster as it is I don't see any worthy candidates to end the streak. I do like the idea of doing something with Dibiase Jr over the streak but it would have to be 2-3 years from now and you'd have to see whether he is worthy of such a major win.

I'd be fine with Taker retiring with the streak personally. I think he's earned it.

creative will find some way to turn a golden opportunity into a golden goose crap!

I really don't think it would be a golden opportunity by any stretch of the imagination to begin with.

abc_NN_POLITICS_LIVE_300x300.jpg

:rolleyes: nice

*EDIT* I also believe creative has the ability to create goose crap with any given situation.

Excluding the current HBK/Jericho angle, but i put most of that down to the fact that they have been so heavily involved in its creation.

:rolleyes: nice

I got a little confused when writing it. Thought you were asking why i thought Tiple H would beat Taker. Then i realised it was el Punko :o

I got a little confused when writing it. Thought you were asking why i thought Tiple H would beat Taker. Then i realised it was el Punko :o

Ah, ok.

No worries bud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I think if Taker WM streak is ending it should be Edge or Orton who ends it

• Advertisement

JP Liz wrote: »
    I think if Taker WM streak is ending it should be Edge or Orton who ends it

Why they are established main eventers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

I think they should let the old dude keep the streak and go out in a ball of fire or lightning or whatever the props guys can come up with on the night:D

IF i was head of creative i would probably just have taker have his last match at mania against the two biggest stars of that time.

Put it for the title.
    Have taker go over, win the match. Then at the end,
    (when all the pyro and smoke is going on) have him either:

Lying on a casket, or in a casket with the belt, going up the ramp, being pulled along by the druids, to where the casket gets closed and is either lowered down or is set on fire.

Something a bit crazy like that. That then brings in a new belt design and lets taker leave with the streak, and the championship.

IF i was head of creative i would probably just have taker have his last match at mania against the two biggest stars of that time.

Why two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

they should keep charlie haas's gimmick and have him beat taker.....dressed as taker! then he can both get a push but "undertaker" still has a streak! :pac:

they should keep charlie haas's gimmick and have him beat taker.....dressed as taker! then he can both get a push but "undertaker" still has a streak! :pac:

As it work so well with Lesley Nelson & Co. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sure why not go further and have Hornswoggle end it just for the reaction of the internet.How would VR feel seeing that as he hates them both:eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Then at the end,
    (when all the pyro and smoke is going on) have him either:

Lying on a casket, or in a casket with the belt, going up the ramp, being pulled along by the druids, to where the casket gets closed and is either lowered down or is set on fire.

Something a bit crazy like that. That then brings in a new belt design and lets taker leave with the streak, and the championship.

I like that idea. Would be a good send off. He made an impressive enterance to the WWF and I think he deserves a nice, in-character exit to it too! Would sell buckets of DVDs too. It'd have a beginning, middle AND end!

And it would reduce the chance of him coming back to do spots. Hate when wrestlers do it, Austin etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is there no babeh Undertaker that can carry on when he retires? Surely WWE can pull out something wacky like that.

edit: Ah hah! They should have a large egg with a baby Undertaker in it like the turkey gimmick a few years ago, that worked. :) Dusty Rhodes, legend.

Why two?

Well if they had one it could be predictable.

Like it has been for the past two years, if it was a three way at least it would add a little drama.

Well if they had one it could be predictable.

Like it has been for the past two years, if it was a three way at least it would add a little drama.

One on one matches always perform better.

• Advertisement

One on one matches always perform better.

Not particularly.

In this case for undies(:p) last match, a triple threat could be a little more interesting than just a straight one on one.
    Could add dimension, instead of just having it as a champion/challenge, it could be champion/challenger/feud etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Not particularly.

They do at Mania though. I'm always left with a bad taste in my mouth when a Mania main event isn't a 1 on 1. Mania 2000 was the best example of this. It really should have been Rock/HHH. Foley and Slow just stunk up the joint for their parts, and Backlash 2000 was the proof.

Mania 20 was underwhelming. Everyone knew Benoit was going over at Mania at the time, so again, it would have been better to kill off the Shawn/Hunter feud after they bloodied each other up so badly at Rumble that there was no way they were going to top that (and in my opinion, they didn't, but Vince was trying, he was indeed trying!) and just focus on Hunter/Benoit.

VR!

They do at Mania though. I'm always left with a bad taste in my mouth when a Mania main event isn't a 1 on 1. Mania 2000 was the best example of this. It really should have been Rock/HHH. Foley and Slow just stunk up the joint for their parts, and Backlash 2000 was the proof.

Mania 20 was underwhelming. Everyone knew Benoit was going over at Mania at the time, so again, it would have been better to kill off the Shawn/Hunter feud after they bloodied each other up so badly at Rumble that there was no way they were going to top that (and in my opinion, they didn't, but Vince was trying, he was indeed trying!) and just focus on Hunter/Benoit.

VR!

I appreciate your input VR! and you do make a very, very compelling argument, ill give you that.

But think about it in the idea of it being takers match, the only match he has ever had that wasnt a one on one at mania was at mania 19.

I just thought, maybe it would need to be something different.

VR!

I was just getting ready to post about what an amazing match i thought Mania XX's main event was..

I think everyone knew benoit was winning because of the (stupid) backlash advertising more so than anything else.

Advertisement