Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major blow for england against Andorra

• 05-09-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

I have to laugh.

English media making it out that with Rio not playing tomorrow it is a major blow for England.

The 2nd division XI would beat them for god's sake.

english media like blowing things up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Trampas wrote: »
    I have to laugh.

English media making it out that with Rio not playing tomorrow it is a major blow for England.

I hope upson gets to start so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Considering he's the best in the world at what he does, are you saying they're wrong?

Or is this just another thread to bitch and whine about England and it's media?

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I have to laugh.

lol

id say if there keepers were all injured theyd still easily beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Considering he's the best in the world at what he does, are you saying they're wrong?

yawn

of course they're wrong! its not a major blow whatsoever in context. They'll just be 20 times better then Andorra instead of 21 times better. If they lost to Andorra an awful lot more things would need to have gone wrong then having to revert to another fantastic central defender instead of a fantastic central defender.

Having said that one cant be surprised that they've covered it this way, we'd have probably been just the same. It makes no difference really to the game, but its still a big loss to the team. Thankfully they're playing amateurs or it would have been an issue. Word on if he's fit for the croatia match? Would be a big loss for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He is the best in the world at what he does ?????

A defender is it. He is not even the best at United.

As has already been said, they could play a div 2 side and probably still win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

yawn

Fantastic.

Best in the world at what exactly?

FFS, Ferdinand missing this game means absolutely nada.

Titus Bramble could deputise for him and it would make no difference versus f**king ANDORRA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I could play in goal for England and they still should win this game comfortably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sorry lads, i actually misinterpreted the original post, i thought the ''starting XI'' comment was actually aimed at England, rather than Andorra:o

My bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You'd have thought Ireland could do without Given against San Marino..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He is the best in the world at what he does ?????

A defender is it. He is not even the best at United.

As has already been said, they could play a div 2 side and probably still win.

Ah I dunno about that. As a United fan I'd feel alot comfortable with a Rio/Brown or Rio/Evans then a Vidic/Brown or Vidic/Evans partnership. Just cas Vidic seems like he's on a war mission in every game doesnt make him a better defender, and ya cant compare Rio to the fullbacks. Different position.

Its all about opinions I suppose. I will agree Cannavaro, Terry and even Richard Dunne are just as good if not better when they're all on their day.Rio just gets unfair criticism cas he's a bit of a twat, or at least seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

dfx- wrote: »
    You'd have thought Ireland could do without Given against San Marino..

Please let us not return to that time. That match was the first time I simply laughed when Ireland was scored against.

If the English media portray their team to be in turmoil, (due to one defender out), the team always appears to be better than they are once they come out with a win, (and against Andorra I expect nothing else). It's a ploy to get the country on their feet and say things like, 'The world cup is ours', 'Another 1966' etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Please let us not return to that time. That match was the first time I simply laughed when Ireland was scored against.

First time and hopefully last time I was pissed off when Ireland snatched a winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Trilla wrote: »
    First time and hopefully last time I was pissed off when Ireland snatched a winner

lol, I watched that game in Sinnotts, with my then gf. She couldn't understand my angry outburst when Ireland scored that night. :D

PHB wrote: »
    I could play in goal for England and they still should win this game comfortably.

Don't ring your own bell :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

In all fairness Andorra held both Russia and England goaless in the first half last time. I cant recall the points now but IIRC if the Andorrans had held the Russians England could have still scraped through with a draw or even loss in the Croat game that was on at the same time.

As for the San Marino match, Id never wish Ireland to lose/draw no matter what the managerial situation, but the celebration of the 2nd goal was probably the briefest I ever did.

Actually I was in the Temple Bar pub that night, due to heavy rain messing with the pubs satellite dish signal the goal happened as the picture blocked up, and returned 3 seconds later to a sight of some clearly relived Irish players celebraing, leaving another 3 seconds of confusion as to whether we actually scored :confused: Cue, 5 seconds of "yaayy! thank christ" and then the realisation of what a bad joke we had just watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

shane86 wrote: »
    In all fairness Andorra held both Russia and England goaless in the first half last time. I cant recall the points now but IIRC if the Andorrans had held the Russians England could have still scraped through with a draw or even loss in the Croat game that was on at the same time.

As for the San Marino match, Id never wish Ireland to lose/draw no matter what the managerial situation, but the celebration of the 2nd goal was probably the briefest I ever did.

Actually I was in the Temple Bar pub that night, due to heavy rain messing with the pubs satellite dish signal the goal happened as the picture blocked up, and returned 3 seconds later to a sight of some clearly relived Irish players celebraing, leaving another 3 seconds of confusion as to whether we actually scored :confused: Cue, 5 seconds of "yaayy! thank christ" and then the realisation of what a bad joke we had just watched.

Reminds me of Ireland's equalizer against Cyprus in Croke Park. What was left of the stadium cheered for a couple of seconds, realized we were cheering a last minute equalizer at home to Cyprus, and sat back down with our heads in our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

England line up for tonight:

Theo ahead of Bentley :D

James,
    Johnson, Lescott, Terry, A Cole,
    Walcott, Lampard, Barry, Downing,
    Rooney, Defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Poor England. :)

Sherifu wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

OPENROAD wrote: »
    England line up for tonight:

Theo ahead of Bentley :D

James,
    Johnson, Lescott, Terry, A Cole,
    Walcott, Lampard, Barry, Downing,
    Rooney, Defoe.
    Ooooh, no Beckham. Is he saving him for Wed?

Walcott on the wing could suit Defoe / Rooney partnership.

• Advertisement

If england dont win like 5-0 atleast tonight theirs going to be war I would say haha :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Walcott injured in the warm-up, Beckham in, I think.

Is wright phillips in the team?

DrMorphine wrote: »
    If england dont win like 5-0 atleast tonight theirs going to be war I would say haha :p

I think they will be hapy with just a win, thought ireland would have scored more against a very poor Georgia so you can never tell

Is wright phillips in the team?

didn't make the squad, too early for him.

http://www.justin.tv/mstvone

Heres a justin.tv stream for anyone that doesnt have setanta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Walcott injured in the warm-up, Beckham in, I think.

Ho-ho, Walcott starts

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Ho-ho, Walcott starts

Mike

Started quite well.

Lol i thought England were home and that was Wembly till I looked at score board. England fans actually getting behind their team! :eek:
    How long till they get inpatient

• Advertisement

Lol i thought England were home and that was Wembly till I looked at score board. England fans actually getting behind their team! :eek:
    How long till they get inpatient

To be fair they have very good away support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Surprise, surprise, Rooney can't finish.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Quote saved for when city buy him :p

Xavi6 wrote: »

He has had a very poor start to the season.

Whos on the bench?

Mike

Whos on the bench?

Mike

Robinson
    Brown
    Bridge
    J Cole
    Beckham
    Bently
    Heskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

lol, the crowd are cheering "We hate Setanta!" :D

Whos on the bench?

Mike

Robinson, Brown, Bridge, Joe Cole, Beckham, Bentley, Heskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I have to laugh.

Sherifu wrote: »
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    :confused:
    Any clearer?

is it only televised on Setanta? Very strange that not free to air on the BBC's or ITV..went and tuned in BBC 1London and BBC 2 England expecting them to be on there but to no avail.

A few boos

Sounds like the Andorra trick of 11 men behind the ball is working a treat.

How is Lampard doing, no Gerrard to get in his way today ;)

Mike

• Advertisement

Sounds like the Andorra trick of 11 men behind the ball is working a treat.

Mike

And England are playing very poor tbh

lol at Mike Ingham on 5live 'Andorra know they cant win this game, they're just trying to be frustrating'

Yes Mike, they're trying to be frustrating, but i think you'll find they are in fact allowed to win this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

well you are talking of a side whose weekly earnings are well over a million pounds versus a side whose weekly earnings are ..ugh. the same as ours, so yes the media do blow things out of proportion.

vastly..:cool:

But they wont win, so he is right. England need Heskey on (and Owen!)

Mike.

Mike.

+1

Why doesn't Agbonlahor get a chance? He has so much more quality than Defoe and Rooney in his current form. Crouch would of got onto the end of a load of the crosses as well instead of them being wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

How are England so bad? It's just astonishing. Individually, they've great players. So, just how?

Also, Frank Lampard is a waste of a jersey. All he seems to do is blast the ball over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This is where Michale Owen would nick you a goal and get the floodgates opening.

I really can't see how his decision not to be even in the squad, let alone start, is still justified. Rooney's record at international level indicates that he cannot be relied upon in these situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

England are badly lacking a proper footballing centre forward. It's been a long time since the games of ''everything good England did went through Rooney''. They just don't have one, Crouch isn't the answer either.

Anyone else hear the chants of ''We hate Setanta''

Mike.

'won't win' and 'can't win' are two different things though. Just thought it was a humorously arrogant choice of words.

• Advertisement
Advertisement