Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panel beaters? can this panel be repaired?

Options
  • 05-09-2008 10:57pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    A truck drove into my Dads 1995 honda prelude and damaged the panel as marked in the photo attached. The rectangle shows more or less the section that is damaged. The door is not damaged in any way. the car drives perfectly. It's only this panel that is damaged. Would a panel beater be able to repair this panel. It pretty mangled. Would the price of repairing this panel exceed the value of the car?

Otherwise the car is in fantastic condition. The car in the picture is not his

thanks in advance
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Impossible to say - the photo doesn't really show the extent of the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You'll end up blending in the door too to match the paint so painting alone will cost around 400 euros and anything from 300 to 500 to repair the panel providing it's fixable plus VAT at 13.5%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

Please dont laught at this; same goes for any panel beaters out there and who are experts in these types of things. I laughed when I first heard it by my Aunt then the laugh turned when i seen it work.
    I had a car with similar damage from what I can see from your picture, a kind of dent area, bubble like, pushing inwards with no sharp dents ??

If it is try this;
    Get a bottle of washing up liquid, pour loads of it over the area, then get a plunger (a large one) and plunge it out. Wash off the washing up liquid real quick and that sould be it. This might not work with yours, but is worth a try, i dont think this will create anymore damage (but I wont guarantee this).

As i said, i had a large area described like the above on the back quarter panel of a two door astra, when my aunt first said I burst out laughing, when she went on ahead to do (i tried to stop her but she was having none of it) and I couldn believe my eyes, in about ten seconds it was completely gone as if nothing ever happened. The area was like as if someone pushed it in with great force and it stayed there. I was told from a few people before this and got quotes from panel beater coming to hundreds.

Its hard to see from your photo so could be way of the mark here, just thought i would give you my 10 cents worth anyway!! All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Remove the trimming on the inside and try pushing the dent from the inside out, should just pop out unless the panel is reinforced with a rib, then you are in trouble.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

thanks for the replies.

Sorry for not showing a picture of the actual dent the car is in his palce. The best way to discribe the dent is badly creased but not torn in any places.

I'll get a photo tomorrow and will do my best to get it up tomorrow evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

This works if it's a very soft dent without creases or strain on it, infact this type of dent will actually push out with airbags too (not the ones in the steering wheel, the one for pushing out dents!)

If it can't be pushed out you can always drill small holes in the dinted panel and use a self tapper / slide hammar and pull the dints out, you will then have to patch it up with Isopon. (This is what they really do in the trade :D )

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

maybe doens't look as bad as i taught. what ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

No problem for a panel beater to repair that and no parts needed 400- 600 euro. try park motor centre prussia street -Paul robinson and haggle over the price will be done in less than three days.

kikel wrote: »
    maybe doens't look as bad as i taught. what ya think?
    A professional or main dealer would probably replace that section of skin while a back street place would pull it out as much as possible and bog it. Cost could be from e200 to e600+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

As a ex-panel beater i'd say your looking at €800 for repair and €1500-2G for a repair 1/4.

Its all down to the Panel Beater that gets the job, some will be happy to hammer out your arch and be thankful of the work others will milk it and charger you to jig the side of it.

I'd repair it sooner than replace

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what's a 95 Prelude worth anyway? definately just do a cheap repair job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Volvoboy wrote: »
    As a ex-panel beater i'd say your looking at €800 for repair and €1500-2G for a repair 1/4.
    Its all down to the Panel Beater that gets the job, some will be happy to hammer out your arch and be thankful of the work others will milk it and charger you to jig the side of it.

+1

There's only so much pulling and filler you can use. A quarter panel could cost anything from 300-400+ depending on where it's bought, looking like the back bumper needs to be sprayed as well so labour of fitting, spraying your could be looking at 800-900.

For a car of that year, and unless it is in mint condition otherwise, i would get it pulled and filled. No points spending money you won't get back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There's a load of panel beaters around Port that could prob sort that out!

Advertisement