Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing a wooden floor

Options
  • 06-09-2008 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Heya lads

I have a wooden floor in the dining room and hall for past few years. The wood got damp and the wood has marks/scratches in places.

Decided to sand down the floor and pit a new stain on the wood. Just finished few mins ago and the floor has a load of white patches where either I didn't sand enough or maybe the wood was damp or somethin.

Does anyone know where I can go from here?
    I was thinkin maybe a dark varnish wud cover the white patches or possibly sand it down again?

Is there such a thing as a wood filler that I could coat the floor with to make it all the same colour before I apply a stain or varnish?

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you suspect damp, test for it and treat it and don't work on regardless.
    It will ruin the finish if you don't.

Otherwise if it's not damp, it may be that the wood has softened and the grain is raised. Apply a light coat of varnish and once it's dry, sand it with an intermediate (or 'between coats') sandpaper.

Advertisement