Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New battery but still draining over nigth help!!

Options
  • 06-09-2008 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

My GF has a Atoz which I have put a new battery in but it dies after say 16 to 20 hours unused. The altinator works as if used every day the car is fine. what could drain battery?? radio switch off & lights all off?

Help please :)

Regards Gar32:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭patrickc

gar32 wrote: »
    My GF has a Atoz which I have put a new battery in but it dies after say 16 to 20 hours unused. The altinator works as if used every day the car is fine. what could drain battery?? radio switch off & lights all off?

Help please :)

Regards Gar32:confused:
    have you checked the charge in the alternator? even though you say its fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Something's draining current in a big way, or does the Atoz have a particularly small battery, does anyone know?

The car isn't fitted with an aftermarket bluetooth device, is it?
    They're something of a favourite for flattening batteries these days, although it usually takes a week or so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you have and can use a multimeter then by taking each fuse out when the car is off you should be able to narrow the drain to a specific area. It could be anything though (radio, light (boot?), aftermarket electrical stuff, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Take it to an autoelectrician. He can put a clamp around the battery lead and determine immediately the amount of current being drawn (if any) from the battery when the car is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

also check things like boot light, glovebox light, things plugged into cigarette light all the time making sure they all go off when car is off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

put an ammeter in series with the battery and see is there actually anything draining it - it's normal for a few mA - for radio backup etc

a faulty battery out of the shop is a possibility - happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Could be the alternator rectifier. If faulty this will allow the charge back through the alternator as you describe though the alternator will charge as normal when running. The repair is a reconditioned alternator.

You didn't cross the leads when jump starting when the last battery was on it's last legs by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Will have a look this weekend as on shift then next few night. Great to see people trying to help :)

Advertisement