Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager European Club Challenge

Options
  • 06-09-2008 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I recently came accross this challenge on sigames.com. I thought that the boards users would be interested if you wanted a real tough challenge in FM08. Below i will paste the thread that this guy "Gundo" posted on the other site. Full credit has to go to this guy because i thought he did a great job in coming up with the idea and he spent alot of time and effort to set it up.

The link to the site that i found it on is herehttp://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=8539.php?t=8539

I started a game in the czech republic and currently manage Dolni Benesov. Quite frankly they are complete rubbish, but its a good challenge, anyway have a butchers at the thread and see what you think.

Welcome to Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge™. It consists of the following...
    The Aim
    To take a small club who where previously unplayable in the game from the lower leagues to their Domestic League Title and Champions League crown (doesn't have to be in the same season). I realize it's not an easy challenge, but should be a lot of fun trying.

The Set-up
    Leagues you can't use: England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Scotland and Spain.

League reputations for eligible nations in this challenge:

Austria 12
    Belarus 9
    Belgium 13
    Bulgaria 11
    Croatia 11
    Czech Republic 11
    Denmark 12
    Finland 8
    Greece 14
    Hungary 10
    Iceland 5
    Ireland 10
    Israel 12
    N. Ireland 6
    Norway 11
    Poland 11
    Romania 12
    Russia 13
    Serbia 11
    Slovakia 10
    Slovenia 10
    Sweden 10
    Switzerland 11
    Turkey 14
    Ukraine 11
    Wales. 7

The nations you are allowed to manage in have been selected using the in game reputations for that Nations top division, the highest eligible Nation in this challenge must have a reputation of 14 or lower. Apart from Scotland who don't currently have a season by season promotion to and relegation from the Scottish Third Division.

Getting started
    Load a game with all the available divisions within the nation you selected only (only one nation is allowed).

A large database should be ticked (although you are free to choose a medium or small database option if you wish).

Attribute masking should be enabled.

No additional players from any nation should be loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed Manager, the details are not important at all.

Then go on holiday until the new seasons teams are generated (each country will be different), If you usually play in that country you should know the relevant dates). An example: Norway's is: 20th January. (Hint - saving the day before on 19th January for Norway, should give you a better choice of teams by being able to quit and reloading the game). This shouldn't take that long either.

League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.
    Belarus - 10th February.
    Belgium - 29th June.
    Bulgaria - 29th June.
    Croatia - 18th June.
    Czech Republic - 28th June.
    Denmark - 5th July.
    Finland - 7th January.
    Greece - 19th June.
    Hungary - 19th June.
    Iceland - 5th January.
    Ireland - 5th January.
    Israel -
    N.Ireland - 29th April.
    Norway - 18th January.
    Poland - 28th June.
    Romania -
    Russia - 26th December.
    Serbia - 9th July.
    Slovakia - 28th June.
    Slovenia - 28th June.
    Sweden - 25th December.
    Switzerland - 18th June.
    Turkey - 19th June.
    Ukraine - 18th June.
    Wales - 18th June. </pre>

Then retire your original manager profile.

Add a new manager, the options/details are up to you but 'past experience' must be set as 'Sunday League Footballer, or if that reputation isn't available then you must then select 'Automatic'.
    . I understand that choosing your nationality may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this, I would expect people to use their own nationalities/second nationalities.

Take over one of the newly promoted clubs to the lowest playable division within your selected nation. If you are not sure about which clubs have been promoted simply check last seasons league table and the new clubs will obviously be the clubs not in it. To make completely sure that the club is eligible, check the club's history of league positions, it should be blank.

It is completely up to you which club you choose, although please appreciate that some clubs may be easier to manage than others (example. Some clubs will have a full squad of players and staff, while others won't. Also some will have higher reputations than others making it easier to sign players ect). So chose wisely. The nation you've chosen to manage in will affect difficulty too.

It is now up to you to manage your chosen club to their domestic title and to win the UEFA Champions League crown.

You are not permitted to move between clubs unless you are sacked; If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that meets the original challenge criteria (check the club's league history), or just quit your current game and start over.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder/parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines
    You can only sign players that you are able to scout or trial at the club first, so in short the player must have the 'Get scout report' button on his profile screen. The one exception to this is when you ask a current squad member to recommend a new signing, It is then ok to sign him as the player who recommended him knows of him anyway.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be un-edited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread
    Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the date you take control at your new club. It should look like This.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success and failure), So please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

There is no winner or points system here, but I will try and keep an updated list of all people taking part in the challenge. Please do not update this list yourselves, I will take care of it and update it at least once a week.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

Remember it's not a competition against other users, as long as your are enjoying the challenge that's the main thing.

Best of luck!

Let the challenge commence!

A big thank you as always to dafuge.
    Thanks also to Jimbokav1971 and cookie15, for their support and encouragement in taking this challenge to the next level.
    All you guys who took part in last seasons challenge, who have made it what it is today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

sounds depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Dont bother trying it then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

thats a pain in the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

If I didnt have a leaving cert to do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yap have a lc to do to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

There we go

Albert Foundry:http://i38.tinypic.com/14chd6q.jpg

Albert Foundry - Northern Irish Second Division - 08/09 (Season 1)

Media Prediction: 5th
    My Prediction: 7th
    Final Position: 2nd

Delighted to get promotion in the first season, we went on a great run of form and only lost 2 games all season. Faired fairly poorly in cups though. Hopefully this is the start of something beautiful

Final table:http://i36.tinypic.com/28ltdv4.jpg

One to watch: Micheal Watson
    http://i33.tinypic.com/x2vyi1.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Will give this a shot now. Sick of playing premier league constantly.

Albert Foundry - Northern Irish Firstd Division - 09/10 (Season 2)

Media Prediction: 9th
    My Prediction: 2nd
    Final Position: 1st

I was right that we'd jump straight to the Premier Division, it was close but we pipped Limavady for the title. Faired poorly in cups with the exception of a 5th round heartbreaker against Donegal Celtic. Bank Balance is over 100k deficit, hopefully nothing bad happens

Final Table

B]Albert Foundry - Northern Irish Premier Division - 2010/11 (Season 3)[/B]

Media Prediction: 13th
    Final Position: 5th

Northern Irish League Cup Winners

After a rocky start we went on a fabulous run that saw us lift the League Cup for the first time in our history, but we ran out of steam towards the end and fell off the pace, being 4th on the last day with a shout of European Football, we beat bangor 2-0 but finished fifth as Linfield destroyed Carrick. It's all about building for next season now where we'll hopefully consolidate and qualify for Europe.

One to watch: Ross Hayes had a great season, all the big NI clubs are after him now, they can get lost.
    Ross Hayes

Final Table

• Advertisement

I am up into the premier division myself with Oxford Utd stars.

post up season summaries

Albert Foundry - Northern Irish Premier Division - 11/12 (Season 4)

Media Prediction: 8th
    Final Position: 2nd

Via beating Linfield on the last day we have qualified for europe for the first time in the club's history.We also announced a 57 seat expansion to Paisley Park and a sponsorship deal worth 30k per year was announced. No trophies this season although we did finish runners-up in the Antrim Trophy, going down 3-2 to Glentoran who also ran away with the league.

I hope that next season I can put an end to their dominance and hopefully raise some income via a UEFA Cup run.

Final Table

One to watch: Micheal Watson
    Missed 10 games again through injury but managed to hit 11 league goals in 20. His ratio has always been at least 1 in every 2 games and he is now Albert Foundry captain.

Wish me luck next season :) Albert Foundry in europe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Started this now in Ireland.

Kilkenny City. Decent start to the season. 3 wins 3 draws 2 losses.

Two points off top. Only one geos up this season though. Will be very tough.

Reckon I'll finish about 4th.

Albert Foundry - Northern Irish Premier Division - 2012/13 (Season 5)

Media Prediction: 5th
    My Prediction: 1st

Domestic

We did it! In 5 years Albert Foundry have gone from the NI non-league abyss to the summit of NI football, oh joy! We won our first 10 games but Cliftonville made it very hard for us, they fell away towards the end and to my surprise the extra Setanta Cup games didn't do us any harm whatsoever. We lost just once the whole season.
    Final Table

UEFA Cup
    We fell quite poorly at the first hurdle here, Slavia of Bulgaria proving too strong for us, scoring twice late on at home and then hitting us on the break back at Paisley Park.. Rome wasn't built in a day though!
    [I]
    [U]UEFA Cup First Qualifying Round[/U]
    Slavia (Sofia)   2-0 Albert Foundry
    Albert Foundry 1-1 Slavia (Sofia)
    [/I]

Club News
    Michael Watson won player of the year and finished top of the scoring charts, somehow managed to keep him injury free, much to my joy! The board has announced a 237 seat expansio which will take the capacity of Paisley Park to 796. Constantly turning down SPL and Championship bids for a number of players, thankfully none are threatening to leave yet. To my disappointment though the club still has no favoured personnel :( It's not like I've done anything for them though! We also have no rivals haha.

Upwards and onwards for next season, we did poorly enough in the cups so I'd love to life the Irish Cup as well as retaining the league next season. WE ARE ALBERT FOUNDRY

No. of League Titles: 1
    Nation Coefficient: 0.00 - 53rd
    Club Coefficient: 0.00 - 519th

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I did this challenge unknowingly before. I was Limerick and I think they won the Champions League under my management. (I usually quit the game when I do.) As I've said before, I'll do this challenge when the new fm comes out. I don't want to play fm for 2 months and then quit it because everyone has moved to the newer version... For anyone who cares. That Limerick game was the best game I've ever had. Premiership is just boring now...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sounds like fun - I'll have a bash when the new one comes out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

This challenge renewed my interest in FM08. Completed it in Switzerland (FC Bulle) and Ireland (Sporting Fingal). All the season updates from both games are on the SI forum. Same user name on that forum.

Albert Foundry - Northern Irish Premier Division - 2014/15 (Season 7)

Media Prediction: 2nd
    Final Position: 2ndt

Domestic

A step back? perhaps, fair play to Glentoran, they've given me a kick in the arse and made me realize I can't expect to completely dominate just yet. I guess with all the extra games we had over them we just ran out of steam.. any advice?
    We did however do a clean sweep of the Irish Cup, Antrim Trophy and League Cup. We also had a fantastic run in the Setanta Cup, losing 2-0 to Cork in the final. All in all I'm disappointed that we wont be in the CL next year but hopefully we can improve our coefficient anyway.
    Final Table

UEFA Champions League
    We almost qualified for 2nd Q round, almost. After a great win at home to Bohs we just came up short away from home. Can someone tell em if that win adds to coefficient points anyway?
    [I]
    [U]UEFA Champions League First Qualifying Round[/U]
    Albert Foundry 2-1 Bohemians
    Bohemians 2-0 Albert Foundry
    [/I]

Club News
    The link with Charlton has still proved no use, :( Paisley Park's capacity is going up another 75 seats, again, bit surprised it's not more... Top scorer was again Neil Hutchison but this time only managed 18, goals were more widespread throughout the team.
    I guess for next season, reclaiming the title is a must. I'll absolutely be reviewing my tactics whilst keeping an eye on releases from PL and Championship clubs. Wish me well =/

No. of League Titles: 2
    Nation Coefficient: 1.167 - 46th
    Club Coefficient: 0.549 - 478th (up 17 places)

Albert Foundry - Northern Irish Premier Division - 2016/17 (Season 9)

Media Prediction: 1st

Domestic

Our most comfortable league victory yet, couldn't retain the Irish Cup though, not to worry. Neil Hutchison won player of the year whilst hitting 28 league goals in 25 games. He was awesome.
    Final Table

Europe
    We made it to the 3rd Qualifying Stage here with arguably my best FM result of all time. However, I was disappointed by our UEFA Cup performance, very close to the group stages there.
    [I]
    [U]UEFA Cup First Qualifying Round[/U]
    Albert Foundry 2-0 FK Rabotnicki Skopje
    FK Rabotnicki Skopje 2-2 Albert Foundry

[U]UEFA Champions League Second Qualifying Round[/U]
    Albert Foundry 4-3 Hearts
    Hearts 2-8 Albert Foundry

[U]UEFA Champions League Third Qualifying Round[/U]
    Panathinaikos 5-2 Albert Foundry
    Albert Foundry 0-3 Panathinaikos
    [/I]

Club News
    Paisley Park's capacity is getting an expansion to see it go above 2000. We will be playing at somehwere called Giants Park in the meantime.

No. of League Titles: 4
    Nation Coefficient: 2.333 - 41st
    Club Coefficient: 3.429 - 403rd (up 76 places)

• Advertisement

Lets have em people!
    Gundo's challenge is re-open

I'm starting again in Northern Ireland, will post up pic when I get my team.

2rw5keb.jpg

And so it begins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ok Voltwad, I'll join you. Starting off in Hungary with Komló.
    3033769052_4dea852848.jpg?v=0

good stuff, best of luck

Right first of all I have to say well done to Voltwad for his efforts in the last years. I started N.I as well last year but got the sack after 5 seasons when it all went horribly wrong. I'll do me best to post this time too.

Hmm where to start off. N.I is tempting again, really want to crack it this time.
    Right Ill get going, I'll keep ye posted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Failed pretty badly in my first go of this.

Will have to start again...

Newington Y.C it is then.

Signed about 15 players so far. I have definitely improved the squad since I came in, however we still seem to be giving the ball away lots.

Currently 2nd with 7 points but there are only 3 games gone.

First season is finished.

Media Prediction 5th
    Final Position 1st

First season turned out to reasonably easy. I lost 5 games out of 43 which was decent enough. I finished first in the league. I won the Antrim Trophy, The N.I Intermediate Trophy. My only blip along the way which was losing in the 3rd round of the N.I cup against Chimney Corner. The board had wanted me to reach the 6th round.

I rebuilt the squad in every position and my wage bill at one stage was £800 p/w over budget before I got around to weeding out all the deadwood.

Notable signings included Mark McConkey from Dungannon who averaged a 7.10 and Paul McCord who averaged a 7.12.

Best signing of the season was 20 year old Steve Mitzler from Rosario who averaged a 7.25 and create countless opportunities for the team.

My main problem area was upfront and even though I brought in several new strikers, not one really shone which caused a lot of formation changes to find the best balance.

I settled on 4-5-1 with 5 across the mid field and 1 central midfielder dropping back.

Start of the second season and a new chairman. Although my Assistant believed the strong was strong enough to win promotion again,I wasn't so sure and the media confirmed this citing me as one of the favourites to go down. I began strengthening heavily again. So far this season I have found 2 six star players with relatively low wages.

I strengthened the staff by signing 6 scouts all with potential scouting and ability of 16 or higher.

I have just knocked out Crusaders in the first round of the Anrim trophy which is my biggest scalp to date.

Right back to it.:)

End of 2nd season.

I ended up winning the league and getting promoted again. I drew my last 6 league games and only won by 1 point. Lost in the final of the N.I cup on penalties to Ballyclare,while I again won the league and Antrim cups.

McConkey again played a big part, while Joe Gray and Jim Ervin were the outstanding players.

So far this season I have signed 17 year old William McCallister who is worth 40k. Signed him on a free.
    Jamie Tomelty, 7 star rated joined from Dungannon for 1k

The team have moved to a new stadium with 4200 capacity. So hopefully I'll start bringing some bigger crowds in. Still haven't received any transfer funds because my wages were well in the red throughout the last season.

20pts from the first 8 games leaves me top of the table for my first year in the top divisio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement