Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magners vs. Premiership (Again!)

• 06-09-2008 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I know this has been discussed before but I've just read an article on the bbc website entitled Premiership players to watch 2008-09. Not very impressed actually and believe the imports in the Magners to be more impressive. Apart from Latham (who is very much in the twilight of his career), Betson (on the wane) and Somerville no one really stands out. Whereas the Magners has attracted Van der Linde, Elsom, Nacewa, BJ Botha, Melck, Williams no to mention last year's coup of Dougie Howlett.

Is this another example of premiership hype?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2434529.0.Lets_get_this_straight_the_Magners_League_is_the_best_in_Europe.php

might be of interest if you haven't read it.

I happen to think the ML is great. What we don't have is the strength in depth that the other leagues have. They seem to be able to replace the well known players with decent enough no namers...while Irish teams throw in journeymen or children.

I think the welsh have a headstart over the Irsh and scotish teams in this regard with their pro 2nd tier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I know this has been discussed before but I've just read an article on the bbc website entitled Premiership players to watch 2008-09. Not very impressed actually and believe the imports in the Magners to be more impressive. Apart from Latham (who is very much in the twilight of his career), Betson (on the wane) and Somerville no one really stands out. Whereas the Magners has attracted Van der Linde, Elsom, Nacewa, BJ Botha, Melck, Williams no to mention last year's coup of Dougie Howlett.

Is this another example of premiership hype?

Your highlighting whats going in and not whats already there though thats the problem.

I still dislike the high imports though used by both leagues mean if you look at Edinburgh who have the highest percentage of players who can play for their national team and see the progress their making why cant other teams follow suit? I think the biggest issue is coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

From the Herald article linked to:

"The Welsh seem torn between seeing themselves as an English region and being a Celtic nation."

LOL. One to be repeated to any Welsh rugby friends. I think the ML is great too. Have my season ticket in hand and looking forward to next weekend. I also think it needs a resurgent Scottish based side and a Welsh champion to reinforce its credibility.

Advertisement