Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VocalTuning

Options
  • 06-09-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

What do you guys use?
    How do you deal with vibrato?
    Im tuning some pretty annoying and very wide vibrato and nothing seems to do it well. Antares isnt worth a ****e at it, Melodyne adds this weird effect when changing the vibrato(Even though I like the simplicity of it) and Im having a problem with waves tune.

I have done lots of tuning before with no hassle but this guy is really fighting me every step of the way and its his best performance!
    Share your knowledge!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

sei046 wrote: »
    What do you guys use?
    How do you deal with vibrato?
    Im tuning some pretty annoying and very wide vibrato and nothing seems to do it well. Antares isnt worth a ****e at it, Melodyne adds this weird effect when changing the vibrato(Even though I like the simplicity of it) and Im having a problem with waves tune.

I have done lots of tuning before with no hassle but this guy is really fighting me every step of the way and its his best performance!
    Share your knowledge!

Hi Sei046,

Have you considered pitch shifting his voice up a few cents? Maybe that would straighten out the vocal? I am guessing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Ah yea dav thats all grand, Just wondering how to change the range in pitch within vibrato without adding the artifacts. Not much I can really do, Melodyne leaves this weird phasing or fake vibrato effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Ah yea dav thats all grand, Just wondering how to change the range in pitch within vibrato without adding the artifacts. Not much I can really do, Melodyne leaves this weird phasing or fake vibrato effect

Sorry I can t help . I have waves tune light which is very slow and painful.. The fact that its light, restricts 75% of its functions.

Not to worry dav cheers.

Speaking of tuning, just had a listen to metallicas unforgiven III on youtube, James' vocals stink of melodyne!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You using graphical mode in AT?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I upgraded to AT evo from v5 last week.
    I have used it twice so far and the tracking in auto mode is much better than v5. I haven't used graphical mode yet so can't comment it.
    I also have melodyne plugin, but find it annoying because you do all your edits and tuning then in mixdown the singer is bound to say "I prefer chorus one than two, can you copy it"
    Then you have to do it all again (or bounce/cut/paste) because melodyne plays a temp audio file instead of processing in real time. Or in the mix you notice a cough or something and have to write automation to get rid of it.

I find autotune only works well when the vocal is good to begin with and won't fix a bad take.

Yeah i hate that about melodyne however i love the interface. Was wondering what evo would be like. I cant seem to get my head around AT graphical side,I know how it works alright and everyone seems to reccomend it, will give it another shot tonight.

Graphical mode in evo has "borrowed" its appearance from melodyne to a large extent and you can now resize the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

The Tweeky would be someone who'd I'd consider an expert in this area, perhaps he could shed some light on it.

Me Abbey Road guy does a lot of vocal tuning and recommends Melodyne. Isn't that polyphonic one due next month?

• Advertisement

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Me Abbey Road guy does a lot of vocal tuning and recommends Melodyne. Isn't that polyphonic one due next month?

Your getting me all hot and bothered...........

Your getting me all hot and bothered...........

I'm off to Abbey Road in October too ................

Paul you know how to please a man

Paul you know how to please a man

And, there have been occasions of Women Pleasings too over the years. I try to keep my Man Pleasing abilities quiet , as a rule.

I reckon another Boards MP trip! ( I can imagine it been harder to swindle abbey roads into that! )

Hey Paul
    Does "me abbey road guy" call you "me dublin name droppin' guy" :-)

Why did the band cross the road?
    Because the Beatles did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Speaking of tuning, just had a listen to metallicas unforgiven III on youtube, James' vocals stink of melodyne!

i've never used melodyne but i though they sounded a bit odd too.

Hey Paul
    Does "me abbey road guy" call you "me dublin name droppin' guy" :-)

Why did the band cross the road?
    Because the Beatles did

He refers to me as Mr.Me Dublin name droppin' guy ...... he's very respectful.

Advertisement