Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I secure my home network

Options
  • 06-09-2008 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi - I have UPC cable broadband with modem in upstairs bedroom (desktop). I have set up a wireless connection to use my laptop downstsairs - but its not a secure connection. I've tried to make it secure but dont know what I'm doing. Can someone explain to me in easy terms what to do.

If i leave it unsecure what are the risks?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Steps to follow would be on the lines off :

* Disable SSID broadcast.

* Enable wpa or some sort of encryption on your network.

* Limit the amount of ip numbers your router can give out to the amount of devices that you want to connect to your network.

* Set your devices in the wireless card access list .

* Reserve the ip number for your devices by their mac address .

If your using the Netgear router that UPC give out then for your encryption on the left hand side under Set Up click " Wireless Settings " then click WPA-PSK and enter a Passphrase that you will remember and click apply.

Then put the same Passphrase in the WPA-PSK settings of the device or devices that you want to connect over wireless.

Advertisement