Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare holidays

Options
  • 06-09-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering how everyone manages with Childcare when the creche takes holidays and you both still have work? My daughter is 21 weeks old & just started a lovely creche with a baby-room with only herself and two other babies. I'm a self employed contractor and I only get 3 and a half days for christmas, I get the bank hol monday for October (but not the saturday) and my creche will take 2 weeks for christmas and a week for the October mid-term. My hubby works nights 4 nights a week so I'd have him for Sundays monday and tuesdays but I'm wondering how everyone else manages? Both my parents are passed on and my hubby's are elderly. Aunties and uncles aren't an option either due to geography and insanity! Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

when my little fellas creche takes mid-term or christmas holidays, we have no choice but to take it off. I dont work anymore because it was just cheeper. You could find a "out of term time only" childminder. This means they would only care for children during the holidays. Or even some "after school" childminders would have out of term places. Ask the other parents in your childs class and see if any of them stays at home, perhaps you could pay them to look after yours certain times of the year ... but i doubt if you would find anyone for around christmas time you would just have to take them off. you are also entitled to "parenting days" it amounts to one day a week roughly and is non paid holidays. Just means they cant fire you for looking after your kids ... down side is you dont get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Both I & DH work fulltime, one of us usually takes the time out of our holiday leave for this or child sickness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Thanks girls. Some food for thought there, hubby will have holiday leave coming to him at that stage. Got the proper holiday schedule today for Christmas and if I take her to work for two half day Saturdays (dead quiet at work and my customers love seeing her as much as she loves all the attention) and her dad keeps her home for the Monday and Tuesday then we've only got to cover Wednesday Dec 31st and Friday Jan 2nd, both of which will be too busy for me at work to properly care for her, but which hubby could take holiday leave for!

Thank you for that! I think that'll do the trick nicely. Fortunately he's an employee with all the lovely entitlements that go with that (I'm an An Post Post-Mistress with NO LIFE!! The joys of self-employment!) Thanks girls!:P

Advertisement