Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Match Thread] Cardiff v Leinster - 6.30pm

• 06-09-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Live on Setanta Sports 2 (Sky:424) from 6pm and on S4C (Sky:134)

Kick Off: 6.30pm

Blues: Ben Blair; Richard Mustoe, Tom Shanklin, Jamie Roberts, Chris Czekaj; Nicky Robinson, Jason Spice; Gethin Jenkins, Gareth Williams, Taufa'ao Filise, Bradley Davies, Paul Tito (capt), Mamma Molitika, Andy Powell, Martyn Williams.
    Replacements: Gary Powell, T. Rhys Thomas, Scott Morgan, Ben White, Darren Allinson, Ceri Sweeney, Jamie Robinson.

Leinster: Isa Nacewa; Shane Horgan, Brian O'Driscoll , Felipe Contepomi, Rob Kearney; Jonathan Sexton, Chris Whitaker (capt); Cian Healy, Bernard Jackman, Ronan McCormack, Devin Toner, Malcolm O'Kelly, Cameron Jowitt, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip.
    Replacements: John Fogarty, Stephen Knoop, Trevor Hogan, Sean O'Brien, Chris Keane, Luke Fitzgerald, Girvan Dempsey.

Referee: Andy Macpherson (SRU)

Previews:
    BBC
    Irish Times
    Independent.ie

Looking at the lineups, You'd think Leinster would breeze past Cardiff, but the runners up for the last two seasons have always put in strong performances - despite their lack of signings. Watch out for their scrum half - Allinson, he's on a development contract but looks a really good prospect.

Should be exiting, as the Leinster backline looks very strong, but mixed feelings with imports are taking up places of Irish players (Contempomi in the centre, and Necewa at FB)

Good to see Chris Czekaj back in action as well, after that horrendous injury

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

That leinster front 5 looks very weak, just hope they can put in a strong performance and the backs click first time out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

zAbbo wrote: »

Looking at the lineups, You'd think Leinster would breeze past Cardiff

I don't know if I'd agree with that. It's very much a second string front row with Healy and McCormack in there, where as the Cardiff front row of Gethin Jenkins, Gareth Williams & Taufa'ao Filise certainly have the edge.

In the 2nd row, I'm yet to see a really impressive display from Toner and this is really a make or break year for him. If he doesn't show us all he's the man to replace big Mal this year we'll have to look at the possability of maybe trying to get Bob Casey back or something. (or possibly even Rocky in 2nd row with Jennings at six and O'Brien at 7 if/when he shows his absolute class this season). Hogan is a decent player who will do a job, but isn't anything special.

Back row is strong, Jowitt is really looking to stake a claim for his place in what is already a very competetive back row so I don't have too many concerns there, but on a whole, you'd have to say, given the conditions tonight (nothing but rain) Cardiff will really look to take it to us in the pack, and with massive plaerys like Van Der Linde, Wright, Cullen & Rocky missing (half our pack), they may get a slight edge on us there.

Also, while the backs on paper are world class, we need to see them really click early this season, again the competition for places here is unbelievable, the quality throughout is superb. But not ideal conditions to look to put the ball through the motions out wide, but will be looking for a big performance from Sexton to show how he can control the match from 10.

Cardiff are imo one of the most underrated sides in ML (despite finishing second for last 2 seasons and impressive in Europe last year) and I think they have a really strong team out and will put it up to us. This will be a real test of the depth of the squad and quality we have along the fringes (with 5 first choice players out including D'Arcy) but I think Leinster will come good by less than 7. But very tight game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Tight 5 is very weak, and had the weather been poor, I would have favoured Cardiff, but the weathers meant to be great, so I think Leinster will get away with it.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Tight 5 is very weak, and had the weather been poor, I would have favoured Cardiff, but the weathers meant to be great, so I think Leinster will get away with it.

Dunno about that man, people thought the game was going to be called off the weather is so bad.
    http://www.cardiffblues.com/33_3736.php

Blues v Leinster - Match Update For Supporters
    Despite the current wet weather, there are currently no fears for today's fixture being delayed.
    Cardiff Arms Park grounds staff are working on the pitch to make sure it is in the best possible condition for the match. However the match referee will have the final say on the game going ahead.

Please note due to the Wales v Azerbaijan football fixture in the Millennium Stadium, there will be a road closure in operation from the Angel Hotel down to the end of Westgate Street.

Drivers will not be able to turn right into the Arms Park when you come over the Castle Street Bridge into Westgate Street.

12.png
    High
    14°C
    Rain
    Wind From Northeast at 31 kmph
    Maximum Humidity 88%
    UV Index4
    Chance of Precip. 70%

When I checked this morning it was supposed to be fine.......as you can see it's changed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

This not on Setanta Ireland so? Bollocks

It's not billed on the website as Setanta Ireland, but last night on Setanta they said it is so I'm presuming it is. I'm 80% sure it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

It is indeed on Setanta Ireland...coverage starts at 6....By the way the weather in Wales is utterly appalling...drove through large parts of S. Wales this morning and the place is a swamp...not sure about cardiff tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

toomevara wrote: »
    drove through large parts of S. Wales this morning and the place is a swamp...
    so what's new?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

RuggieBear wrote: »
    so what's new?:D

I can hear them sharpening their leeks as I type...if your'e not careful Bryn Terfel will pop round your gaff and bore you to death with his godawful caterwauling!

• Advertisement

tbh i think cardiff will be way too strong for us up front.and martyn williams will have a field day if it is wet with a Scottish ref.

At least its not Changelang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Scrum doing ok so far.

ref is woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ref is a complete idiot should have been a penalty try or a sin binning for Kearney there

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ref is a complete idiot should have been a penalty try or a sin binning for Kearney there

could argue he made a genuine attempt to catch ball. hands going upwards not knocking it down.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    could argue he made a genuine attempt to catch ball. hands going upwards not knocking it down.

Tbh its a certain try situation Kearney was never going to intercept it, if it was a IRFU ref or WRU it would have been a sin binning or a penalty try but since its a SRU ref nothing happens :rolleyes:

Its debatable, it wasn't blatant and it could have gone either way....Munsterfan....Neutral point of view.

Looks like it's going to be a close game, wouldn't foresee more than one score in it at this stage.

Goan Leinster!

Sexton looks flakey

williamns had to be offside

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Its debatable, it wasn't blatant and it could have gone either way....Munsterfan....Neutral point of view.

Looks like it's going to be a close game, wouldn't foresee more than one score in it at this stage.

Goan Leinster!

Well he clearly had his arms stretched out his body was nowhere near the ball for a start most ref's would give it as a penalty try.

Sextons kicking there was awful

Sexton to blame for that try =/ If it was a half decent clearance that try wouldnt have happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

At a wedding. No TV. Score?

Scootay wrote: »
    At a wedding. No TV. Score?

7-3 to Cardiff

Cheers.keep it up please. Only at the soup course.

That Cardiff No.8 Powell is having a stormer completely out shinning Heaslip at the moment.

Tight 5 beginning to creak for Leinster.

Gwan the MAL, sprinting and kicking like a wing.

Drop Goal 10-3

• Advertisement

Assistant ref my ass they are beyond useless they do nothing in trying to solve problems that the ref cant see:mad:

All Bloo's, Leinster have no ball, are putting together no phases, and unless it changes drastically soon, they will lose, and probably without a losing bonus point. Backrow being completely outplayed, Tight 5 missing CJ's arrival and Cullen.

10-6

You never know, but it would be daylight robbery ;)

Pack is asleep being completely outplayed is Heaslip and Jowitt even playing? They arent doing anything and are being completely outplayed by their opposites.

Again Andy Powell is showing to be a great number 8

only in this as cardiff keep dropping the ****ing ball

Leinster have awful awful tackling technique alot of players trying to wrestle the opposition which is failing miserably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Is it just me or does Knoop look more like a winger than a prop? Leinster are awful but there's just not enough umph in the scrum. having said that we're only 7 down.

13-6 Dropgoal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

This is an awful match :(

13-9 pen

Ref is so awful why do Scotland make useless ref's why :(

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ref is so awful why do Scotland make useless ref's why :(

Changelang's, worst refs evah

lol

undeserving try

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Haaha, what an odd try.

Good follow up by Necewa

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Try! Nacewa! Blessed

Who got the try? You're killing me.

Ok, got it as I posted.
    13 - 13?

16-13 Leinster and possibly one of the most undeserved leads ever, but hey...who cares :)

Pen Bloo's halfway middle of the park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement