Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting bikewear for a newbie

• 06-09-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

I'm taking the plunge and going two wheels in next few weeks. I don't take well to warm chothing, especially waterproofs etc (except light goretex stuff).

Could any of you point me in the right direction for gear that is light, safe and prefereably waterproof? I will be commuting to work where I need to wear a shirt. I could change at work if necessary but would be easier to dress before I go. Is there some sort of overclothes that you can put on over a pants and shirt? I'm interested in hearing what solutions people use in the motorbike world for communiting in workwear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've a pair of boots that I can wear all day if needs be but I keep a pair of shoes/runners in work anyway. I wear the trousers I have over my work wear, same with the jacket...

When u say u don't take well to warm clothing I know what u mean... I wear T-shirts all year round. But when ur on the bike its a different story, rode out of town last week just wearing my jeans n my legs wear freezing. I've never been hot or uncomfortable on the bike with all my gear on... Everything I have is completely waterproof, got put to the test last Friday when I was out in the crazy rain n wind for 2 hours... Got home bone dry..

I got everything in www.hein-gericke.co.uk in Newry... Also, don't forget a pair of gloves..

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_2_99/products_id/3189

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_15_7/products_id/4591

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Cool, did you order online or would it be better to make a trip up? I haven't got a bike yet so maybe I will pick one up there as well. Looking at Honda Bros as starter bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Its worth the trip up so you can try them on... I tried on 8 different pairs of trousers before I found ones that fit n its not too far up with the new road now..

As for a starter bike... I went for a Honda Varadero 125, mainly went for it cause I'm 6' 3" n It was hard to find a bike bike with a small engine. Varadero is a perfect size for me, its great in the traffic, uses bugger all fuel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Honda Bros is a great starter bike. I had a GN125 for years. Not so good on the motorway. CB250 is nice too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

wingnut wrote: »
    I'm taking the plunge and going two wheels in next few weeks. I don't take well to warm chothing, especially waterproofs etc

I'd be the same on a bicycle or on foot, cant stand waterproofs etc but it really is a different story on a bike. i wear a cheapish akito jacket, aldi boots and berik overpants for commuting to work (pretty much year round this year as the weathers been so bad) i always arrive to work dry and warm.
    http://www.akito.com/
    http://www.berikstore.com/catalogo.aspx?lingua=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭The Sheriffk

Drop into Cotters in Western Parkway Ind Est . His gear is good and very reasonable . get him when he is busy .......... u will get a better price ... but be prepared to serve yourself ... its that kind of shop .

Varadero .... great first commuter bike .

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Varadero .... great first commuter bike

Can you get a Varadero > 125cc, I didn't think you could. I kind of ruled out 125's because I will need a bigger bike for the A driving test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

next biggest varadero is 1000cc :)

you can rent a 250 for the test if necessary, so wouldnt rule 125's out completely

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

there are other bike options I got a BMW F650CS last year and its been great for me the restricted engine satisfy's the licence requirement and the ABS brakes give me a little confort when sticky sitiations occur. I can't praise the bike enough.

Advertisement