Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Path Flooding!

Options
  • 06-09-2008 1:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi, everytime it rains my footpath to the house floods:
    Plan A: I was going to dig up the path and put some wavin pipe under the path and run the pipe about five feet into the garden, dig a large hole, fill the hole with lots of stones so that when it rains the water will run through the pipe into the stones. How deep should I dig the hole?
    Plan B: Buy a cheap pump that comes on when the path floods.
    Any suggestions would be great? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The French-drain is a better idea than the pump!

Hole should be 4-5 foot deep I think.
    Maybe make two!

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Hi, thanks for your reply, I take it the "French Drain" is putting the pipe into a 4/5/foot hole. What size of hole do you think? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If your path floods so easily chances are you'll exacerbate problem with a nearby Frnch Drain/Soak Pit. Better and probably just as easy instal Acco Channel Drains and set channels to collect surface run off and and divert via 4" sewer pipe into nearest Gulley/AJ.

Clean and very effective solution.

Hi, there are no waste pipes going under the front garden so I have to do the french Drain System.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OK, how about using a landdrain to divert water away from problem area and use to irrigate planting eg run landdrain parallel to hedging.

A soak pit would seem in your instance to be be the least desirable.

• Advertisement

Ok, the problem is that when you walk in from the street the path to the house steps down about four inch's, this is where it floods and the path cannot be raised. Thanks.

Advertisement