Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Ticket

Options
  • 06-09-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

I got a ticket for speeding 3 weeks ago so its time to put a cheque in the post. I was doing 100km on the Ramelton Road out of Letterkenny which I believe is a national primary road, but it turned out to be 80 km limit. Seems stupid as it was a good straight reasonably wide stretch and safer than alot of roads that have 100km limits. It was only the second time I had been out that road so I just didn't spot the speed limit sign on leaving Letterkenny.

Can anyone tell me, does the Garda not have to give you a ticket from the speed gun. I thought I remembered a case a couple of years ago where a guy got off because the judge decided that there should be some written record given like a print out from the speed gun. I know they offer to show you the gun but do they not have to give you a printout too.

He didn't give me anything in writing - just told me it would be in the post. Is this normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

No they don't have to print out anything. You'll just get something in the post a few weeks later.

I was pulled over for 153km in a 100km a few weeks ago. Still haven't got anything in the post but I know she didn't let me off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No they don't have to print out anything. You'll just get something in the post a few weeks later.

I was pulled over for 153km in a 100km a few weeks ago. Still haven't got anything in the post but I know she didn't let me off.

I would be waiting for a summons being honest. 53% over the speed limit is a faily high percentage! (Im not saying I havent done this before :o).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Whats the worst penalty you can face if your caught driving that much over the speed limit?
    Can they charge you with dangerous driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

He didn't give me anything in writing - just told me it would be in the post. Is this normal.

Yes. If a Garda is 'onsite'-they do not have to provide a printed record. Only if you are caught by a GATSO/fixed location cameras do you get a printed record.

As a metter of interest, whereabouts on the Ramelton Road were you stoppped? Due to it being an urban area, I would have imagined that a 100kph limit wouldn't apply til after the the Tassie at least? I only use the road infrequently when I am up home.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Made me laugh anyway! :D btw, you do know what your nick means, don't you? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

antodeco wrote: »
    I would be waiting for a summons being honest. 53% over the speed limit is a faily high percentage! (Im not saying I havent done this before ).
    and only 7km's off losin ur licence

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Whats the worst penalty you can face if your caught driving that much over the speed limit?
    Can they charge you with dangerous driving?

Apparently you're supposed to get 4 penalty points rather than 2 if you're more than 50% over the limit.

esel wrote: »
    Made me laugh anyway! :D btw, you do know what your nick means, don't you? :eek:

I just found out! :eek::mad::(

But I swear it is also the name of my favourite book! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

i cant believe that the high horse keyboard warrior crew havent gotten around to trouncing you yet lol. they usually hammer posters that get caught doing 10KM/H over :confused:.

wait, let me get this one ;)

*waves finger at you while spouting*

"you shouldnt have beeen speeding, think of the children, thats dangerous, i never ever speed :rolleyes:" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

D_murph wrote: »
    i cant believe that the high horse keyboard warrior crew havent gotten around to trouncing you yet lol. they usually hammer posters that get caught doing 10KM/H over :confused:.

"you shouldnt have beeen speeding, think of the children, thats dangerous, i never ever speed :rolleyes:" :D

LOL :):D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I believe I may have gotten caught also recently as I was doing between 65mph/104.6km and 70mph/122.65km. This was over a week ago on a long straight stretch of 100Km/h and I had just over taken a Toyota doing 60km/h and I spotted the unmarked Mondeo on the horizon and I instantly bought it back to 60Mph/96.56km.

It was an unmarked Mondeo with the Camera on the Dash and the Garda in uniform on the long stretch along by Coachford shortly after the end of the Ballincollig bypass in Cork.

I have never got points before but may have gotten them this time, however the thing is the car I was driving is not registered to my name, I wonder will the registered owner get a letter or what is the story? Also how long does it take for the letter to come? If he do get the letter how do I get the points put onto my licence in the event that I might have been caught? If I was caught I blame the idiot in the Toyota for crawling along holding us all up. 60Km/h in a 100 zone ffs:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I just found out! :eek::mad::(

But I swear it is also the name of my favourite book! :D

It is a great book!
    D_murph wrote: »

You shouldnt have been speeding!

kearnsr wrote: »
    You shouldnt have been speeding!

Dual carriageway....empty......yes i should! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

As far as i know, if you don't get pulled over (except in the case of the GATSO's) you can't get a ticket? Is that true? Lol... Just wondering:rolleyes:

As far as i know, if you don't get pulled over (except in the case of the GATSO's) you can't get a ticket? Is that true? Lol... Just wondering:rolleyes:

Ya if they spot you from a car they have to pull you over!

Read this for a chuckle.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57013711&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Happy days, i'll tell my friend who was asking lol:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

they can summons you with a license plate and a jumped conclusion, if that thread bout the lad mistakenly driving in and out of a disabled space is anything to go by :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got caught on my way to cork at the toll at the end of the new motorway near there.

sunday morning, 3 lanes and not a car on the road and me happily chatting away to the g/f coming down the big hill before the toll and he was hiding on the last sliproad beforethe booths.

the first thing i knew about it was that the booth attendent was counting out my change exceptionally slowly. a glance in my rearview mirror and I see him coming like the clappers. finally yer man gives me my change just as the copper comes barrelling up to an adjacent barrier and yer man lets him through just before me so he's waiting for me as i come out the other side all smug looking.

mind you, he was ever so upset after his long bond villian-esque diatribe as he went in for the kill and i handed him my UK licence. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ya if they spot you from a car they have to pull you over!
    Not strictly true.
    There are many (unmarked?) cars with ANPR and other recording equipment and AFAIK they don't need to pull you over. There are also the ones who operate speed traps in the standard fashion but their equipment can take pics so no pulling over required!
    vibe666 wrote: »
    mind you, he was ever so upset after his long bond villian-esque diatribe as he went in for the kill and i handed him my UK licence. :D
    Did you get a pic of his face?
    If not then it didn't happen! :D

i wish i could of but he was threatening to arrest me and allsorts.

the car was registered to the missus, so i just said it's my friends car and i'm just driving for a while cos of the long journey etc. etc. just making like a tourist. :)

he said that i could be arrested if i'm stopped speeding again and that if i ever change my licence over they keep a record of any points earned here on my old licence and will apply them retrospectively (or possibly retroactively, always confuse those two) to my new Irish one.

methinks they couldn't if i just took my test again here tho like a new learner driver as though i didn't already have a licence. ;)

might be handy to have two. use my irish one in the UK and my UK one over here.

well, till they join it all together and I end up with one joint licence with 20 points on it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Am I wrong here in saying that it doesn't matter a feck how much over the speed limit you go, if you go to court a judge can still give you a ban if he's in a bad mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Stark wrote: »
    Apparently you're supposed to get 4 penalty points rather than 2 if you're more than 50% over the limit.

Unless they've changed it in the past 2 years I dont think thats true. I got caught nearly two years ago, and before anyone says it yes I was acting the maggot and probably deserved more, doing 158km/h on a dual carriageway. Got pulled over, asked to step out of the car, after which followed the most angry lecture I have ever received in my life. I was fully expecting to be getting into the back of the cop car and arrested. Instead, just got a ticket and was told I was getting two points and to pay the fine if I knew what was good for me. 2km/h from a banning,thats pretty close I would say :o

bobmeaney wrote: »
    2km/h from a banning,thats pretty close I would say :o
    sounds like you were 2km/h away from a beating! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

160kmph is a ban? Really?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

su_dios wrote: »
    160kmph is a ban? Really?
    Only if you are caught :D

Advertisement